News   Apr 18, 2024
 1.2K     1 

Humber Bay Shores

Who do we contact to fix this problem?

Attachments

• IMG_0333.jpg
    IMG_0333.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 663
Has anyone heard of the hanging octopus-looking lighted art piece that's going on the bridge?

Yes.. I was talking to someone from the HBSCA about it. They are 'interested' but weary as to what risk this sculpture will bring hovering above the bridge, especially in high winds, which - let's be honest - this area has more than enough of.

The city is similarly worried due to their liabilities.

Yes.. I was talking to someone from the HBSCA about it. They are 'interested' but weary as to what risk this sculpture will bring hovering above the bridge, especially in high winds, which - let's be honest - this area has more than enough of.

The city is similarly worried due to their liabilities.

Sorry Filip, but I believe its a go! This past Sunday, the crew was working on the model at the historic joy gas station across from Park Lake. The city allowed them to use that space to create this incredible piece.

Here's the web site with details of the design and so fourth. They're hoping for it to be installed by July 4th. They'll also have to close the bridge, while doing it...wonder how residents in the area will react.

Donations can be made on this web site as well, as the city isn't funding it. Please give if you can. I am!

http://interactivearts.co/humberbridge

Octopus/Squid Hanging on Hunber Bay Shores Bridge

No one mentioned that this 'art installation' included a rave at 11 on a Thursday evening- lights, noise and disruption. I like art, but not when it interferes with my life.

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking into the Waterford complex which is incidentally 400-500m directly south of the Humber Wastewater Treatment Plant. Has anyone encountered any less than pleasant smells or odours emanating from this facility? According to other anecdotal reports, the Sobey's/SDM complex reeks during some summer days. As well, it has been said that the odour can be detected on the Gardiner when driving over the Humber river overpass.

I understand that the City approved a $50+M project to mitigate odours at this facility in late 2013. Work started in 2014 and is continuing through this year.

For the residents living in the area that I described (400-500m south of the facility), do you often notice any odours?

Thank you!

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking into the Waterford complex which is incidentally 400-500m directly south of the Humber Wastewater Treatment Plant. Has anyone encountered any less than pleasant smells or odours emanating from this facility? According to other anecdotal reports, the Sobey's/SDM complex reeks during some summer days. As well, it has been said that the odour can be detected on the Gardiner when driving over the Humber river overpass.

I understand that the City approved a $50+M project to mitigate odours at this facility in late 2013. Work started in 2014 and is continuing through this year.

For the residents living in the area that I described (400-500m south of the facility), do you often notice any odours?

Thank you!

I didn't smell anything related to the treatment plant last year or anytime this year. Many years back, it was pretty brutal.

Hi Everyone,

Thank you!

Fun fact: You can see a list of the Annual Reports from the WWTPs here: http://www1.toronto.ca/wps/portal/c...nnel=6b2655b89b6fe310VgnVCM10000071d60f89RCRD

This will include a list of odour complaints and the root causes, as each plant is required to investigate after a complaint is filed. There is a slight delay in getting these posted of course, but to my recollection HTP only received one complaints that could be linked to the plant in 2014.

Seems the interweb was flooded with photos during the big storm we had on the wknd. I wanted to share my own, and didn't know where else to but here (considering they're of HBS). Quick with the mediocre phone camera, so they're not very sharp.

DSC_0900_2.jpg
DSC_0899_3.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_0900_2.jpg
    DSC_0900_2.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 674
  • DSC_0899_3.jpg
    DSC_0899_3.jpg
    294.6 KB · Views: 684
This board doesn't seem to be frequented much, but I hope I'll get some replies anyway. I'm looking for a condo to rent in this area, but I'm actually not very familiar with the neighbourhood other than driving by it on the Gardiner :p I would appreciate any advice regarding which are the better/more lively/more convenient areas, and if there are any specific condos I should avoid (e.g. management problems, noise, etc). Are the WalkScores accurate? It appears that the area at the far end near Palace Pier has a lower score compared to the ParkLawn/Lakeshore area, and also lower scores for Manitoba/Legion Rd area. Is there a significant difference between the different pockets? I'm also considering Queensway/Windermere - is there anything much in this area other than Sunnyside across the street and High Park?

Beyond the Sea and Westlake (west corner of Park Lawn and Lakeshore) would probably have lower rent, but I've heard some anecdotal stories of elevator issues at Beyond the Sea and Westlake is brand new, so likely also working through a list of construction deficiencies. Westlake has a Metro and Shoppers downstairs. Same story with Ocean Club - brand new, so might have some things being worked out still. Buildings north of Ocean Club should have less potential problems but will also have higher rent. There is a bunch of retail and 2-3 restaurants along that strip.
As for the walk scores - there are 2 buses and a streetcar running along Lakeshore/ParkLawn, so the scores probably reflect the walking distance to the nearest stop.
Overall the area can feel a little desolate in the winter for now (until it's more built out in a few years), but really shines in the summer, with bike trails, parks and of course the lake. People are friendly and there are a lot of young professionals living in the area.

Back