News   Mar 18, 2024
 815     0 
News   Mar 18, 2024
 2.7K     4 
News   Mar 18, 2024
 786     0 

Hudson's Bay Company

The newly renovated Hudson Bay "Beauty Bar" concept is opening in the basement level. This features mostly cosmetic brands that were previously located on the south side of the main floor. The central attraction is a new location of The Ten Spot, which will provide mani-pedis, nail design and other esthetic services.

The third floor entrance from the Eaton Centre skywalk is coming along nicely. The Saks entrance is still all blocked off, of course, but the floor treatment is very nice, including the Hudsons Bay name in bronze lettering.

BAYFLOOR.jpg

Attachments

• BAYFLOOR.jpg
    BAYFLOOR.jpg
    519 KB · Views: 1,291
Yes, I think glissade is the design statement those floors make. But good flooring archaeology there now. You can see the '80s black and white, the '90's grey, the presumably original terrazzo and bare concrete as you walk through.

Also, you can peek thorough the drop cloths on the second floor and see the Saks chandelier. Exciting!

I do hope they install entry grates over recessed wells, instead of laying carpets that become instantly dirty and saturated with water. I'm always surprised by how rare they are in Toronto.

It's a little bit disappointing that the new corner at Yonge & Queen cuts off the pass-through that used to exist. It seems there was a missed opportunity here to make this area work better when the TTC re-tiled that stairwell down to the subway last year.

What do people think about the Yonge and Bloor location of "The Bay"? They haven't rebranded yet and the interior of the store is absolutely atrocious. Any chance they are planning a major overhaul anytime soon?

What do people think about the Yonge and Bloor location of "The Bay"? They haven't rebranded yet and the interior of the store is absolutely atrocious. Any chance they are planning a major overhaul anytime soon?

That Bay and probably the entire building isn't long for this world. They were close to being closed down but plans were changed. I get the feeling that it's just been delayed and that that Bay store will close at some point in the near future. The fact that they haven't switched over to Hudson's Bay is an indicator in that direction.

That Bay and probably the entire building isn't long for this world. They were close to being closed down but plans were changed. I get the feeling that it's just been delayed and that that Bay store will close at some point in the near future. The fact that they haven't switched over to Hudson's Bay is an indicator in that direction.

Completely agree. You have to think there is a developer out there that would love to get their hands on that land and redevelop the whole site.

They were also going to turn that space into Saks before deciding (figuring out?) that it would be extremely expensive to do so (and thus opted for Queen Street). It's an eyesore.

They were also going to turn that space into Saks before deciding (figuring out?) that it would be extremely expensive to do so (and thus opted for Queen Street). It's an eyesore.

I wonder if Richard Baker was trying to sniff out a deal from Cadillac Fairview the whole time? IIRC, it was in the Marina Strauss G&M article where he boldly declared that the Saks flagship would be at Yonge and Bloor. And then days later Cadillac Fairview made him the sweetheart deal to buy the Queen Street building and lease the space back to him at a great price all in exchange for putting Saks there and at Sherway.

I think it's a leap to say that Baker was trying to sniff out the Cadillac Fairview deal, but it certainly was a boon for HBC.

I'd love to know when the lease is up at the Hudson's Bay Centre: I want to have some date in mind to push my curiosity off to.

Back