373     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 946     1 

How to find electronics not made in China

Admiral Beez

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
My electronic kettle has died. I need a new one, but don’t want to support China? What are my options?

Who else looks to avoid China in their electronics purchases?
I try my hardest to avoid Chinese made products in general, but right now it's extremely difficult. I for one cannot wait for the great decoupling. It sickens me how much the West's spending flows to underpin such a vile government and ideological enemy.

My option now is buying online, like Amazon. Especially now that Black Friday is getting near. 😉
How does that avoid Chinese products? At least in terms of 3rd party sellers, Amazon is one of the worst.

My electronic kettle has died. I need a new one, but don’t want to support China? What are my options?
Not specific to kettles but it's really not that easy anymore. Some brands are strictly manufactured in China, others, like Blacker and Decker are more global, although China could be included. T-Fal seems to be largely from France or at least Europe. Similarly, Miele is mostly European.

How does that avoid Chinese products? At least in terms of 3rd party sellers, Amazon is one of the worst.

Not specific to kettles but it's really not that easy anymore. Some brands are strictly manufactured in China, others, like Blacker and Decker are more global, although China could be included. T-Fal seems to be largely from France or at least Europe. Similarly, Miele is mostly European.
Sorry for the vague answer before. To figure out a product’s country of origin on Amazon, here's what I usually do:
1. Read through the product description carefully - sometimes they mention manufacturing country, if that is mentioned I will not trust that, but would the next step
2. Google search the model number to verify the country of origin
It can definitely be tricky since many Amazon listings don't clearly state where the product is made. Some can even be misleading or false with that info! 😠
I know it's not a straightforward process, but that extra research has helped me feel more confident about finding products actually made where I want them to be.

Sorry for the vague answer before. To figure out a product’s country of origin on Amazon, here's what I usually do:
1. Read through the product description carefully - sometimes they mention manufacturing country, if that is mentioned I will not trust that, but would the next step
2. Google search the model number to verify the country of origin
It can definitely be tricky since many Amazon listings don't clearly state where the product is made. Some can even be misleading or false with that info! 😠
I know it's not a straightforward process, but that extra research has helped me feel more confident about finding products actually made where I want them to be.
There oughta be a law that online product listings must indicate country Of origin.

Off-shore economics aside, I don't think the source country is necessarily tells all of the story because things like quality control are in the hands of the brand. If a brand cares about its product and has a good on-site quality control and management team, a China-sourced product can be of decent quality. There's little reason why an item manufactured in China, Mexico or Viet Nam can't be durable if the company really cares. Most are just chasing the 'price point' and consumers have telegraphed that cheap rules. I suppose I'm as bad as most; in some things I want quality and durability, in others not so much. There are some venerable North American name brands with 'Made in the US' stickers on them that have disappointed.

Off-shore economics aside, I don't think the source country is necessarily tells all of the story because things like quality control are in the hands of the brand. If a brand cares about its product and has a good on-site quality control and management team, a China-sourced product can be of decent quality. There's little reason why an item manufactured in China, Mexico or Viet Nam can't be durable if the company really cares. Most are just chasing the 'price point' and consumers have telegraphed that cheap rules. I suppose I'm as bad as most; in some things I want quality and durability, in others not so much. There are some venerable North American name brands with 'Made in the US' stickers on them that have disappointed.

That's part and parcel of the fact that a lot of these name brand consumer appliances/products are really generics - with a North American brand name attached to it after. This is the reason why you will see products that look almost exactly the same in different brand names - the brand had little to nothing to do with the design and QC. Huge difference when you compare Apple to say whatever toaster brand.

AoD

I don't think it's so much Made in China = poor quality that would be a motivator to avoid such products - it's more for political reasons as I mentioned above.

That's part and parcel of the fact that a lot of these name brand consumer appliances/products are really generics - with a North American brand name attached to it after. This is the reason why you will see products that look almost exactly the same in different brand names - the brand had little to nothing to do with the design and QC. Huge difference when you compare Apple to say whatever toaster brand.

AoD
I'm really out of my lane here, but I think a lot of it depends on the relationship between the plant and brand. If Brand X (or brands X, A and B) strike agreements with an off-shore supplier then, sure, the plant burps out similar or almost similar products then slaps a label on it as the last step. Sometimes internally, the difference in quality/price point between brands is illusory).

That's different than B&D, DeWalt or Cuisinart (names out of my hat) having their own offshore plant. Even in larger items such as major appliances, furnaces, etc. more and more they are just assemblers of somebody else's components, even if those components are made to their specs (or designed around the specs of components available from suppliers).

I remember reading an article years ago about the council of some municipality around Buffalo debating which quote to accept for a piece of machinery. Some wanted to go with a Made in USA brand, I think John Deere, even if it was more expensive than the off-shore brand bidder (I think it was Kubota). It turned out the Kubota had more US-sourced components than the JD.

Not directly related to off-shore sourcing, charts like this tend to remind me that the world isn't as competitive as I would like to think.

1699296524679.png

I don't think it's so much Made in China = poor quality that would be a motivator to avoid such products - it's more for political reasons as I mentioned above.
Absolutely.

There oughta be a law that online product listings must indicate country Of origin.
I totally agree that there ought to be a law that online product listings must indicate country of origin, and that the information is verified by a third-party agency. Aside from closing of seller account, there should be a fine if found guilty of giving false information. It is so frustrating when you order something online and it turns out to be made in China, even though the listing said otherwise. 😡

Back