News   Mar 28, 2024
 934     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 534     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 830     0 

how long until toronto surpasses chicago on skyscrapers?

Yep, Tewder, Always is. As are tax credits.

I'd like to think that Toronto crews have earned a rep for professionalism and capability, but at the same time the money always talks. Along those lines, it's worth noting that union scale tends to be significantly cheaper in Canada than it is in the states. IATSE rates are certainly that way. As a carpenter or scenic painter in Canada with IA you could do the same job in LA and make more dinero per hour plus enjoy the dollar differential. My own affiliation as an art department guy is with the Directors Guild of Canada - not sure how our rates compare to our American counterparts, but it sure wouldn't surprise me if we again are more affordable in the eyes of producers. But you also have to take into account costs for location shooting in various cities on the continent - they're all different.

Toronto does enjoy a decent rep though. Still, we often compete with Vancouver for LA money... both cities have developed a large and well-trained core of professionals, as well as a host of ancilliary businesses that have sprung up to support the industry. The industry has matured and it feels like it's here to stay; it's one of the many reasons Toronto is a good town and a good fit for more and more individuals.

One of the things I'm personally digging is the increasing propensity of this city to play itself. I've worked two seasons on Murdoch Mysteries and that's been a buzz; the next show I'm joining is also set in Toronto. Kind of cool, after years of doing shows which had Toronto standing in for Chicago or New York. I also worked several years on Degrassi: the Next Generation, and it was only several seasons in that they opted to make it clear that the show was set in Toronto - before that it was in set in a kind of generic semi-urban North American limbo - although even then it felt distinctly Canuck.

Chicago's biggest problem is that there's a lot of country south of it before you're in Mexico. Cheap Mexican labour is also a southern advantage to standard of living. We will win. Go jays go.

Canada is also still, to a considerable extent, slave-linked to the American economy. If the States should take a prolonged hit, it's unreasonable to expect that we will handily weather the storm.

But as for the underlying fundamentals to the American economy, I'm not so sure that their current relative strength guarantees long-term health. What goes up must come down.

this.
When Canada's economy is still largely hinged on the health of the American economy, how can we expect Canada to outperform the US?
Canada still exports almost 80% to the US, one country and largely ignores the rest of the world, including Europe and East Asia. It is only the past few years that Canada starts to trade with China, as if it is beneath us to do business with the world's most populous country. Political rhetoric never prevents the US to trade with China yet we seem to be naïve. On the other hand, Australia hasn't had a single recession for the past 20 years.
I have to say our political leaders really don't have the wisdom. You can't change the fact that the US is going down hill, just like the UK 100 years ago.

^I see little evidence to back up that claim that the US is going down hill. You mean compared to what, the rest of the world combined? That is true in general but the US has much more future potential than Europe and East Asia. Demographically speaking, East Asia including China, Japan, Korea, Taiwan, etc. have the bleakest economic future of any region on the globe.

^I see little evidence to back up that claim that the US is going down hill. You mean compared to what, the rest of the world combined? That is true in general but the US has much more future potential than Europe and East Asia. Demographically speaking, East Asia including China, Japan, Korea, Taiwan, etc. have the bleakest economic future of any region on the globe.

I would like to still believe that the US is the greatest place on earth to make money, but what I don't understand is how can one ignore the 20 trillion dollars in debt and rising? I'm not sure how anyone can claim that a country's future is great when they can't pay back 20 trillion dollars? In fact, has the US ever paid back their debt? I don't think they will. It seems to me that they will just keep printing more money and eventually it's going to burst and when it does, there will be no more USD, but a new currency will be created so that it can just erase or revalue the debt and somehow just make it disappear like there was never any debt at all. It's all just a game. They can create it and erase it like it never existed at all because the truth is, there is no such thing as money. There is no such thing real value. It's all made up. They can decide something is worth a trillion dollars today and but then say it's worth nothing tomorrow. It's all just a matter of "power", "control", and who has the ability to use it. Money to me just seems like a game that's rigged to keep society in check and try to establish some semblance of order, reason, and peace. Only those very few at the very top of the world know that it won't matter how much debt you incur, you'll never have to pay it back because it doesn't really exist.

The USA is paying off its debt everyday. The day they stop (by declaring bankruptcy) would bring instant ruin and mark the end of this economic era. Which won't happen anytime soon.

The USA is paying off its debt everyday. The day they stop (by declaring bankruptcy) would bring instant ruin and mark the end of this economic era. Which won't happen anytime soon.

That's technically impossible. The US owes USD, which it is the only country that can print. A billion, or a trillion, it is just a matter of amount of paper.
However, if other countries start to trade more and more in currencies other than USD, that will be the start of the problem, and that CAN happen sooner than we think.
The US will remain the greatest power for a long time, but its absolute dominance is being eroded every day. One would be a fool to disregard that.

Not entirely. The US government doesn't own USD. Some billionaire families through their banks own the Federal Reserve Bank and charge the US Government for every dollar they produce.

Chicago is getting a megatall = 610m...

gensler%20gateway4.png

gensler%20gateway3.png

gensler%20gateway1.png

gateway%20tower1.png

I would hate to burst your bubbles guys but we think Toronto is building or beautifying itself, but just got back from Chicago and I have been to Chicago many many times. It just jeeps getting prettier and prettier. From their parks to their river walks. They're just building and building. Everything looks top notch and top quality.

I would hate to burst your bubbles guys but we think Toronto is building or beautifying itself, but just got back from Chicago and I have been to Chicago many many times. It just jeeps getting prettier and prettier. From their parks to their river walks. They're just building and building. Everything looks top notch and top quality.

Well, there's more building currently underway in Toronto than there is in Chicago.

I wonder how would the Gateway Tower survive an earthquake. Note that Chicago isn't immune to earthquakes, despite being away from known major earthquake epicentres.

Yes, that tower would give the CN Tower more competition.

Soon enough, Manhattan would have a skyscraper that would dwarf the Gateway Tower.

There is more building built in Toronto these years.
But unfortunately , in Toronto the majority of new project are poorly designed.
It the exact opposite in Chicago. Chicago is getting prettier every day.
Beautiful architecture has 3 criteria .
1- harmony:there most be harmony in the design,transition and the color.
2-pick the right color:a color can make a project beautiful or ugly.
3-Not vulgar.(not ugly balcony or cheaply designed.)

If it continue like that Toronto will become a city with a third world architecture and become very ugly.
The only district in GTA where building are beautiful is the waterfront district and Mississauga.
But there is some exception like One bloor,1 Yorkville , Ey tower , or Wellesley at the park.

Back