News   Mar 28, 2024
 621     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 442     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 772     0 

Homewood Suites, Bay & Main (Hamilton. Vrancor, 17s, DCYSA Architects)

DC83

Member Bio
Reaction score
0022ea89.jpg

267ad144.jpg

via DCYSA Architects http://www.dcysa.ca/5-residences/6059-Homewood-Suites/

Being constructed on the old Hamilton Motor Products site at Bay St South & Main St West downtown Hamilton. A stone's throw from the popular Hess Village entertainment/resto area, as well as a block south of Copps Colliseum, and across the street from Hamilton Place Theatre & Convention Centre.

According to the architects website:
"In addition to 182 rooms and suites, this 17-story hotel comes complete with a restaurant, bar, exercise room and indoor swimming pool as well as a large convention centre built to meet the needs of the city of Hamilton."

How does downtown Hamilton get a Homewood Suites before downtown Toronto? ;) Homewood Suites by Hilton is a fantastic hotel chain, hopefully we will see one downtown Toronto in the near future. Nice to see some new high rises in Hamilton.

Only half of the Federal (C.R.A) Bldg has been torn down.
The developer, Vrancor, is keeping the western portion and building a condo attached to it.

The condo bldg will house the shared amenities for the Homewood Suites, along with UG Pkng and retail (bars/restos)
Here's the site plan (via raisethehammer.org): http://raisethehammer.org/blog/2173...ng_plans_for_development_at_main_and_caroline

Also prelim concept (scary as it is) for the condo:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showpost.php?p=5695796&postcount=242

Egad! That's one heck of a strange rendering!

Well, the good news is that some of that 1940s "Dominion Modern" building will remain, and that Downtown Hamilton gets some more residents. But that new condo looks like a potential disaster.

Thanks for the update.

np! I'm trying to find out what retail/restaurants are planned. May find out w/in a cpl days.

Also, I made a mistake. According to the PDF file of the site plan, the pool & gym are in the Homewood bldg itself.
Interesting as the almost-built Staybridge up the street (same developer) also has a pool, restaurant & retail shop planned. Though not as nice a bldg..

Staybridge (68 George St)
7691f906.jpg

taken by me a couple weeks ago

Stucco Madness :/

From last week.

At Main, lookin north down Bay (across from the under-demo Board of Ed. Bldg, making way for the McMaster University Downtown Health Campus - render to e determined :/)

5F441C65-4EEA-4AE7-BC28-048669207001-535-000000DB4348097E.jpg

(and what's directly across the street)
995F1965-AB37-4B81-A9A0-3DDB8ECE4C63-535-000000DBCBB5BE12.jpg

Back to the hotel; still lookin north on Bay, slightly closer

39FDF2C8-D4AD-4844-B33B-56CFF2892552-535-000000DB58FB9E29.jpg

Closer up on the North-side façade, lookin south this time

272404D4-048F-47CE-8847-3B9B3D1D75C1-535-000000DBADDEFF8E.jpg

Now looking south-west, where you can see the opening on the remaining half of the old Federal Building, which will be attached to a new-build condo tower (render also pending.. Welcome to Hamilton)

DB5A0939-2594-441B-85C8-066E1916368C-535-000000DB76740865.jpg

All photos by me taken last week

Following developments in Hamilton is kind of like following a development in an American rust belt city. They tear down a perfectly good, noteworthy building (Board of Ed), and the building they build would be a C- in Toronto, but you cheer them on anyway because good news rarely comes their way. Oh, and that art deco streetlamp reminds me of how dying American downtowns invest thousands of dollars improving their public realm, even if nobody shows up. Meanwhile, we have wonderful condo buildings being built along streets where they leave the wooden hydro poles and rusting light standards.

Following developments in Hamilton is kind of like following a development in an American rust belt city. They tear down a perfectly good, noteworthy building (Board of Ed), and the building they build would be a C- in Toronto, but you cheer them on anyway because good news rarely comes their way. Oh, and that art deco streetlamp reminds me of how dying American downtowns invest thousands of dollars improving their public realm, even if nobody shows up. Meanwhile, we have wonderful condo buildings being built along streets where they leave the wooden hydro poles and rusting light standards.

Well, the Federal Gov't helped pay for those streelamps.
I happen to like the new build + old hydro poles look. Esp when they're littered with posters! It's so.. Big City!

And yes, don't get me started on tearing down buildings to build new when there is a perfectly empty lot attached directly to the building being demo'd (yes, owned by the same owners). This was the case w/ the HWDSB Bldg. There was a largely popular campaign to keep it, however Mac (McMaster University) threatened to abandon their downtown project if they couldn't tear down the board of ed. bldg.

Hamilton's Leaders get strong-armed far too often (see TiCat/PanAm Stadium debacle).

From Hamilton EcDev's twitter account (click to enlarge).
You can see (to the left) that the Condo Tower portion has reached street-level. It will connect to the partially-demolished CRA Federal Bldg.
Was released today that the CRA Bldg will house two street-level restos, one facing Caroline St (with patio), the other facing George St (which is planned as an eastward-extension of Hess Village to Bay St.

Screen Shot 2012-11-13 at 5.51.59 PM.jpg

https://twitter.com/i/#!/hamiltonecdev/media/slideshow?url=http://lockerz.com/s/261171120

Attachments

• x2_f9127b0.jpg
    x2_f9127b0.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 343
  • Screen Shot 2012-11-13 at 5.51.59 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2012-11-13 at 5.51.59 PM.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 573

Back