News   Mar 18, 2024
 644     0 
News   Mar 18, 2024
 2.3K     4 
News   Mar 18, 2024
 746     0 

Home Improvement (Lowe's, Rona, Home Depot)

They build around 10-12 stores per year most of them have been out of province latley but rest assured they will use that land when the time is right
Lowe's has completed the purchase of the former Sam's Club (WalMart) property at The Queensway and The East Mall in Etobicoke.

Meanwhie, I wonder what Lowe's intends to do with the former Labatt Brewery property at Islington and 401. They bought it in late 2008, over two years ago, and they still own it, but there seems to be no sign of any activity there yet.

They build around 10-12 stores per year most of them have been out of province latley but rest assured they will use that land when the time is right[

Walt;Meanwhie, I wonder what Lowe's intends to do with the former Labatt Brewery property at Islington and 401. They bought it in late 2008, over two years ago, and they still own it, but there seems to be no sign of any activity there yet.[/QUOTE]

The next Lowe's outlet in Toronto will apparently be on the former Labatt brewery property at Islington and 401. Lowe's has completed the purchase of the property.

There had been a rumour that WalMart was interested in this property, but either this was a false rumour or they have decided for some reason to take a pass on this location.

b0520cce.jpg

photo by me, taken Jun 23

Walmart has a new SuperCentre right across the 401 from this site at the former Rexdale Mall.

Anyone know if there will be a whole plaza, or just a Lowes? If so, any word on other tenants?

That's the old Labatt's site, non?

Yes, this is the S-E section of Islington & 401. I believe the old Labatt's plant was here.
I'm curious as to whether this will be a whole plaza, or just a Lowes? It's quite large for just a Lowes, and seeing as the Ministry of the Environment Bldgs are right beside it, I was hoping there would be some food options? Or some other retail anyway?

Lowe's will be building a store at 5881 Mavis Road (south of Bristol).

Source: the zoning amendments pages of the Mississauga News today.

Lowe's will be building a store at 5881 Mavis Road (south of Bristol).

Source: the zoning amendments pages of the Mississauga News today.

South of Bristol, eh? I thought that's where Paradise was putting up new homes? This would be across from the former Price Chopper plaza right?

Glad it's not coming in Heartland. That place is overcrowded as it is!

Sorry to bring back such an old thread. I saw this one coming once Lowe's started entering the marketplace.

Rona closing four GTA stores
Home-improvement retailer to shut 11 locations overall, cut 125 more administrative jobs.

"Four of the stores slated to close are in the GTA: Boyer St. in Mississauga and Colossus Dr. in Woodbridge, both of which will close on Oct. 13; and William Kitchen Rd. in Scarborough and the First Commerce Dr. location in Aurora, both of which will close on Dec. 8. Four more stores will be shut down in other parts of Ontario, and three will be closed in British Columbia."

http://www.thestar.com/business/2013/06/27/rona_closing_four_gta_stores.html

I sort of saw this coming when Rona went on its spending spree, picking up the Build-All chain/Revy, Cashway and the Building Box, while building its own megastores, all at once. That was 10-15 years ago. All it took was another strong US entry (Lowes) and Home Depot's continued profitablity to squeeze Rona out.

But I knew Rona was in serious trouble when it didn't complete or move into new stores it was building. If you go eastbound on the 401, you'll notice a mid-sized Rona store in Bowmanville that it built 3 years ago, but never completed or moved in to. It still sits empty with a for lease sign.

My brother is involved in this retail sector. He tells me Home Hardware as a whole continues to do quite well as it flies under the radar of Home Depot and Lowes - who don't really consider a main competitor. Rona was doing fine as Quebec's Home Hardware and probably would have still been fine if they expanded to the big box format only in Quebec and perhaps the Maritimes and Eastern Ontario. They're spread out too thin with too much debt.

Last edited:

Back