News   Apr 23, 2024
 2.3K     5 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 614     0 

Heritage Buildings that have been incorporated into new buildings

bAuHaUs

Member Bio
Reaction score
I'm looking for a list of great examples of how heritage buildings have been incorporated into new design/build projects. I have come up with these so far:

1. Brookfield Place and the Merchants' Bank
2. James Cooper Mansion & Tridel
3. Teatro Verde on Yorkville Ave (old Mt Sinai facade)
4. National Ballet School on Jarvis

Thanks greenleaf.

Thanks everyone for your quick feedback.

I'm looking for a list of great examples of how heritage buildings have been incorporated into new design/build projects. I have come up with these so far:

1. Brookfield Place and the Merchants' Bank
2. James Cooper Mansion & Tridel
3. Teatro Verde on Yorkville Ave (old Mt Sinai facade)
4. National Ballet School on Jarvis

It depends what you mean by great example. I would say that Merchant's Bank and Mt Sinai are great examples of the WORST in facadectomy. Your other two examples are much better.

Good examples of recent good projects:

- Grange and AGO
- McMaster Hall and RCM
- Bishop's Block and Shangri-La ???
- House of Industry and Elm Centre (at least the facade has 3 sides)
- Don Jail and Bridgepoint ???

It depends what you mean by great example. I would say that Merchant's Bank and Mt Sinai are great examples of the WORST in facadectomy. Your other two examples are much better.

What makes the good ones universally good? Is it using clear glass next to the heritage buildings to create a deferring buffer yet a bridge between the two architectures? Is it the clear restoration of the old building?

The interior of the Merchants' Bank had been extensively altered before it became a transplant, however, so it already was mostly a facade - but what a facade!

The House of Industry, also by Thomas, was originally only two floors - the third floor and side wings were added, in sympathy with the original design, by Lennox in the 1890s and early 1900s ... so I guess that makes it a doubly apt example of incorporating the heritage-worthy into the new.

Come to think of it, incorporating the 1845 City Hall into the new St. Lawrence Market South, also circa 1900, would be another early example of recycling.

What makes the good ones universally good? Is it using clear glass next to the heritage buildings to create a deferring buffer yet a bridge between the two architectures? Is it the clear restoration of the old building?

Thanks for these thoughts....I just need to assemble the widest variety of projects that have integrated the two.

The older structure forming the center of MARS is exceptional.

Munk's buildings just west of Varsity Stadium.

would the ROM count?

also, that little condo across simcoe street from roy thompson hall.

would scotiaplace count?

BAC

condo on the corner of Sultan and Saint thomas

pinnacle on the Adelaide will

Massey condos will

To me, yes and yes. When the heritage building is hacked up instead of restored, then modernism (especially "Toronto school") seems to help because it is not overpowering. And the modern architecture often is enhanced by the contrasts.

Exception to the rule: I think the Bloor-Gladstone library was an epic fail. The new structure should have been taller or different in some other ways. Not a slavish copy of the original massing, this time in glass.

Back