Toronto Bridgepoint Long Term Care | 102.23m | 20s | Sinai Health | Diamond Schmitt

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Sinai Health was approved for a new 320 bed long term care home in March '22.

I have now confirmed, what I had suspected, which is that this will be built on the Bridgepoint campus.

Other details are scant as yet. The original timeline was to break ground in Fall '23; I think that is highly unlikely.

However, I would presume, if needed, an MZO will be issued here, the project will move forward in '24.

Bridgepoint Campus from '22 - TO Maps aerial:

1688072171754.png

The green space fronting Gerrard, excepting that cut out on the left (West) is now an official City of Toronto Park - Hubbard Park. So I'm inclined to imagine this be situated on the parcel next to Broadview, but I don't know that.

Last edited:
Ughhh this Long-term care home building trend is getting out of hand. Dont get me wrong there is a need for them, but the way the provincial government is approaching the whole situation is flawed and it's never going to solve the issue at hand of hospitals being overloaded. Many European countries for instance are taking the hospital at home care model into play, where they are emphasizing treatment and caregiving at an individual's home where possible.

Doug Ford and his crook gang is just using this mass long-term home construction as a way to line the pockets of these providers, as much as he tries to paint the portrait differently that's exactly what's going on with this boom.

Ughhh this Long-term care home building trend is getting out of hand. Dont get me wrong there is a need for them, but the way the provincial government is approaching the whole situation is flawed and it's never going to solve the issue at hand of hospitals being overloaded. Many European countries for instance are taking the hospital at home care model into play, where they are emphasizing treatment and caregiving at an individual's home where possible.

Doug Ford and his crook gang is just using this mass long-term home construction as a way to line the pockets of these providers, as much as he tries to paint the portrait differently that's exactly what's going on with this boom.

While I agree that more needs to be done to facilitate high quality homecare; and I would prefer that needed institutional/assisted care was delivered at a smaller, more local scale in many cases, there is absolutely a need for a large number of new
long term care beds, we are approaching peak-age in the population at the Boomers reach their late 60s and beyond in the next few years....

In this case, the care will be delivered by a public institution, a non-profit one, not a private, for profit facility. So while your point has merit, I think it's misapplied in this case.

While I agree that more needs to be done to facilitate high quality homecare; and I would prefer that needed institutional/assisted care was delivered at a smaller, more local scale in many cases, there is absolutely a need for a large number of new
long term care beds, we are approaching peak-age in the population at the Boomers reach their late 60s and beyond in the next few years....

In this case, the care will be delivered by a public institution, a non-profit one, not a private, for profit facility. So while your point has merit, I think it's misapplied in this case.
Certainly I wont disagree there's the need for long-term care homes; it's the method we're going about it that's flawed, severely expensive and borderline unaffordable on a large scale basis. There are more cost-effective ways of delivering the end solution that long-term care homes offer.

My originial point comes more out of frustration with the province's approach, but yes as you mention this will be delivered by a public institution so Doug Ford lining providers of care homes wouldnt apply in this case.

o I'm inclined to imagine this be situated on the parcel next to Broadview, but I don't know that.
It's just a grassed rectangle with no other apparent function outside of not making that spot not so much of an eyesore...it's just begging for something to be built there.

Combined OPA/ZBA application submitted:

Development Applications

Project description:

Your making me all nostalgic and teary over my coffee.

Bringing me back to the days when I had to pay attention to post an AIC link first. LOL

I actually opened the above files in the middle of the night.........but since you've taken the last couple of years off, I figured I had to til after my morning coffee to get around to it.

For the record, I'm happy to see ya posting!

Reactions: PMT
On the substance of the above. I very much support more Long Term Care and, in fact, personally spoke to some people high up in the provincial government pre-budget about this very project and why it was languishing. Glad to see it moving forward.

I take no issue w/the height, the beds are needed.

But I confess, I'm not a fan of the architecture or massing here.

It comes off as cold, un-attractive and overbearing.

The floor plates are very large. I realize that is mandated by the province, but the latter should be persuaded to allow 2 less residents per floor (to the number it used to be in an RHA or resident home area) to allow some better massing here.

The City would make a face, but I'd also argue for reconsidering 430 Broadview's location (the old Lawn Bowling club house) in order to allow Bridgepoint Avenue to be shifted slightly to the north.

If the building could be consistently set back by 3M or greater on the Broadview and southern and northern elevations it would improve a great deal.

The cladding.........ugh. Why do we want to sentence seniors to living in an 80s suburban office tower. Seriously though.

@Paclo is flagged to note the changes here. I've added the storey count and arch firm to the title, but not the height.

* I have amended the title to replace the words Hospital Redevelopment with LTC as this entire thread is here to discuss that project at this point.

Project Stats. are here:

1713443857216.png

Last edited:
…it appears DSA are continuing their design narrative with the LTC here. Can’t fault for being consistent? But that design doesn’t work so well with that squared off footprint…making look like a soulless office tower than something medical based, let alone livable. And yeah…also making the massing janky and imposing too, IMO.

Took the words out of my mouth. I'd like to see something warmer, especially on the east frontage, to connect better to the neighbourhood.
agreed, its too sterile both for neighbourhood context, but also too sterile to read as an inviting and placemaking LTC for the aging population. domesticity, both in massing and building character, but also more importantly in the program setup of beds, is paramount in LTC architecture. RE. nobody wants to live in a building that looks and functions like an office tower in their final chapters..

Back