Haven on the Bluffs (VHL Developments) - Real Estate -

Regarding the propane barbecues in the video, that strikes me simply as a mistake. Someone said "show barbecues" and then didn't specify further. Most certainly they'll be natural gas. Don't know if they're going in on the balconies… but if they're being put in on the terrace, I doubt it.

The website for the project is updated now, and the building is shown as over half sold. I want to see this go ahead, and I've put a new story up on the front page.

Anyone who bought here get a letter in the mail about noise or soemthing? Mine got thrown out by roommate while i was away before i could read it.

It is a standard letter that was sent out to purchasers on the Kingston road side of the building. It basically says that when you have a window or door open that the condo will exceed the city's noise limit. The letter also says if you keep your door closed then it conforms with the standards set by the city. It was in the agreement of purchase and sale, they are just reminding you so that you can't back out of closing later.

The building is in the process of being redesigned, the ground floor condos are changed to townhouses now!

Hey Everyone,

Have you heard any news about the project in August? I went to the sales office recently, they were pretty much finished with tearing down the old motel. The sales lady told me that they had 60 units left- so 76% sold. Does anyone know when construction will start? Has anyone recieved the revised declaration that includes the townhouses?

Any news on the project start date? Have any of the purchasers received the revised Condominium Disclosure and Declaration?

WOW the prices are high, and we are being charged for things that were/are standard on our Features and Finishes List.
$1000 to switch between packages is ridiculous. The builder does not incur any extra cost in substituting finishes.

Also, they mentioned a July 2015 start date. How does everyone feel about this?

Anyone get that email about the *possible* changes to the floor plans and the amenities?

So curious as to what the changes look like. I don't have much time to go over there and look at the revisions.

So it looks like we lost a party room, and gained a billiards room. I'm also pretty sure the bathroom in my suite has changed but wasn't told anything about it.
I wish they had gone with putting lockers on every floor rather than the bike storage. It'll be so much more convenient (for me anyways).

Also, they mentioned a July 2015 start date. How does everyone feel about this?
Isn't there a big hole there now? I couldn't see clearly from the road while driving by but that's what it looked like.

BTW, the sign says it's 80% sold, but I don't know when it hit the 80% mark.

Isn't there a big hole there now? I couldn't see clearly from the r
Am disappointed the completion date is now in December 2017 as shown on the website. 5 years? Other condos in the immediate neighborhood came on for sale after this project and are in the midst of building now. Had I known they would add another floor and add townhouses, I would have bought somewhere else. 2018 before you can even move in. Big disappointment.

Tentative Occupancy December 2017

from the VHL website:

Tentative Occupancy Date: December 2017

Five years plus 2 months from purchase date? Extremely disappointed. A 2018 closing date on a 2012 purchase..

from the VHL website:

Tentative Occupancy Date: December 2017

Five years plus 2 months from purchase date? Extremely disappointed. A 2018 closing date on a 2012 purchase..

----

I agree that it is a disappointing that the tower has not started yet. But we have to look at a few different perspectives as purchasers:

1.) Suites were first released in November 3rd, 2012 to be completed three years from that date. So technically, your delay is two years not five?

2.) Sales at the development were 40% on the "opening weekend". Then, sales languished for a long time. When I bought in Jan 2014, the building was only 60% sold. Therefore, the builder was still waiting on purchasers before paying to apply for permits/submissions (as per your agreement of purchase and sale).

3.) It is in the developer's best interest to get the project done as soon as possible to avoid additional interest and levies costs. Therefore, they are not the ones holding the project back.

4.) Your investment has gone up in value substantially since 2012 (without you having to obtain a mortgage or take on financial risk). If you own(ed) property, it has also gone up substantially in this time.

5.) The design of the building has changed dramatically- for the better. The features and finishes are also better than the initial samples the developer put up in the sales centre.

6.) Pre-construction condos are often not finished on time- this is widely known and expected. Especially since this is VHL's 3rd condo, I think it is almost to be expected that it would be delayed.

On a positive note- I picked my colour selections! I am really happy with what was offered. What upgrades are you guys/ladies end up choosing?

CP

December 2017

Yes, suites went for sale in November 2012 with an expected occupancy date of 2015. Then 2016. Now December 2017. So you're right - the delay is two years. However, it takes months to register a condo so occupancy will be in 2018. Hopefully mortgages rates will not rise dramatically before 2018.

Kingston & Co. at Victoria Park & Kingston Road are at 50% sold and they have started their project. Imagine Condos at Kennedy & St. Clair went up for sale after ours and are breaking ground now.

Now that townhouses and an extra floor has been added to this project, that would certainly reduce the percentage sold, wouldn't it? The last thing I heard was the building was "almost" 90% sold. That was before the news of townhouses and an additional floor.

I have not been contacted yet to select colours...

----

I agree that it is a disappointing that the tower has not started yet. But we have to look at a few different perspectives as purchasers:

1.) Suites were first released in November 3rd, 2012 to be completed three years from that date. So technically, your delay is two years not five?

2.) Sales at the development were 40% on the "opening weekend". Then, sales languished for a long time. When I bought in Jan 2014, the building was only 60% sold. Therefore, the builder was still waiting on purchasers before paying to apply for permits/submissions (as per your agreement of purchase and sale).

3.) It is in the developer's best interest to get the project done as soon as possible to avoid additional interest and levies costs. Therefore, they are not the ones holding the project back.

4.) Your investment has gone up in value substantially since 2012 (without you having to obtain a mortgage or take on financial risk). If you own(ed) property, it has also gone up substantially in this time.

5.) The design of the building has changed dramatically- for the better. The features and finishes are also better than the initial samples the developer put up in the sales centre.

6.) Pre-construction condos are often not finished on time- this is widely known and expected. Especially since this is VHL's 3rd condo, I think it is almost to be expected that it would be delayed.

On a positive note- I picked my colour selections! I am really happy with what was offered. What upgrades are you guys/ladies end up choosing?

CP

Totally true- the mortgage rates are really the unknown at this point. The only people who lost out in this situation are those who are renting- being that they will now have to pay an additional two years of rent.

Imagine Condos is a much smaller building, hence it probably sold to 70% faster. Weird that Kingston & Co is starting at only 50% sold, I got that email too. Bad for investors and unit owners in that building as there will be a flood of units for sale at the "occupancy date" by the builder. What I like about Haven is that the builder is trying to sell all the units themselves, hence- therefore we can dictate what prices we want to sell our units at project completion.

Just to clarify because the VHL communications weren't too clear: there were no additional units added to the building. The building has the same proportionate shares, number of units, and floors. The ground-floor suites couldn't sell- so VHL redesigned them into "townhouses". The "townhouses" are two storey, therefore VHL needed to add a "mezzanine" floor where the townhouses upper floor could walk out to. So technically the building still has the same amount of residential floors. What was changed- they added a large studio and a 1br unit to the Mezzanine level. The units must have been cut on another floor. Weird- because I don't know why anyone would want to live on a dead floor next to the bicycle lockers, with only 1 window in their unit. But people will buy anything these days...

One or two days ago I picked up an email from VHL which asked purchasers to set up a time to pick colours. It probably went to your junk mail!

CP

Yes, suites went for sale in November 2012 with an expected occupancy date of 2015. Then 2016. Now December 2017. So you're right - the delay is two years. However, it takes months to register a condo so occupancy will be in 2018. Hopefully mortgages rates will not rise dramatically before 2018.

Kingston & Co. at Victoria Park & Kingston Road are at 50% sold and they have started their project. Imagine Condos at Kennedy & St. Clair went up for sale after ours and are breaking ground now.

Now that townhouses and an extra floor has been added to this project, that would certainly reduce the percentage sold, wouldn't it? The last thing I heard was the building was "almost" 90% sold. That was before the news of townhouses and an additional floor.

I have not been contacted yet to select colours...

Back