News   May 13, 2024
 856     1 
News   May 13, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   May 13, 2024
 772     0 

Harper announces big cutbacks in leftish programs

Reductions to Status of Women Canada- say it ain't so Harper old boy.

stephen_harper_polygamy.jpg

As far as arts, I would limit government involvement to libraries and museums (museams to house "national treasures" only). This can be classified under education.
I don't understand why something like ballet or opera -- would be government funded (at a professional level). This is just entertainment -- and not really a priority (IMHO). I don't want public money spent on housing them either (or hockey -- or any entertainment profession).
Studies have consistently shown that the economic benefits of funding the arts far outweighs the initial investment. Just think how much money the Four Seasons Centre is going to bring in that wouldn't have had it not been built. And how much less desirable would Ottawa be without all the museums?

Come to think of it, why not chop funding for everything that's not a priority? What are the fountains in Dundas Square if not entertainment? Community pools? Unnecessary! Streetscaping and street furniture? Waste of money! Let's have some accountability and stop funding these things. Think of the money we'd save!

*cough* sarcasm *cough*

There is a difference between "Four Seasons Centre" and community pools, landscaping, parks.

These pools, landscaping and parks are livibility issues, which are open to all regardless of income (i.e. free). If they are not, and the government funds them -- then I would favour closing them.

Although I have not been in "Four Seasons Centre" for performances -- I gather that access to it for performances is not free, and by doing so it excludes people that are forced to pay for it through taxes. No different than any professional team playing in Toronto that we have been forced to support through taxes -- by subsidizing the construction of stadiums which then are not for public use.

Studies have consistently shown that the economic benefits of funding the arts far outweighs the initial investment. Just think how much money the Four Seasons Centre is going to bring in that wouldn't have had it not been built. And how much less desirable would Ottawa be without all the museums?

cacruden:

Although I have not been in "Four Seasons Centre" for performances -- I gather that access to it for performances is not free, and by doing so it excludes people that are forced to pay for it through taxes. No different than any professional team playing in Toronto that we have been forced to support through taxes -- by subsidizing the construction of stadiums which then are not for public use.

Lest I remind you that a lot of community centres, as well as activities that takes place in them now charges user-fees? Should they all be closed? Access to national parks aren't necessarily free either, should they be closed as well?

Good jolly, I think we need to be a nation of accountants. Come to think of it, I think we need an assessment of the all the accountability measures to see just how effective they really are.

I smell an infinte regress coming.

AoD

Actually going to a symphony, or opera, or the latest showing of German Expressionsist painting is not pure entertainment. One could easily argue the benefits of having these forms of expression available, including the educational benefits of exposure to them. For me, paying modest individual dues towards their availability is the price of being part of an educated and cultured society. Ideally, of course, they should be free to attend.

Actually going to a symphony, or opera, or the latest showing of German Expressionsist painting is not pure entertainment. One could easily argue the benefits of having these forms of expression available, including the educational benefits of exposure to them. For me, paying modest individual dues towards their availability is the price of being part of an educated and cultured society. Ideally, of course, they should be free to attend.

It is entertainment, if you enjoy it -- you will pay the price (which is not likely going to be modest i.e. $5 or $10), if not -- you will not pay the price. So if it is really worth it to you, why not pay the full amount instead of having the government subsidize it?

My point is that the arts and their institutions, including opera, does have intrinsic value to societies beyond pure entertainment. It's not a product like icecream. Although the government does fund dairy farmers as well...

arts and their institutions, including opera, does have intrinsic value to societies beyond pure entertainment.
I've never understood that. Why are ballet, opera, symphonies and musicals more worthy of public funds than basket ball, hockey, wrestling or other public entertainments?

Because hockey, professional wrestling et al. exist purely to make a profit and so don't need public funds, over and above what they receive in terms of tax breaks, publicly funded venues, etc.

Public funds also support sports at the college and school level, and no one objects to that.

Setting aside the fact that there are free concerts in the building every week, and $20 rush seats to every opera performance, our frugal ( Cdn $180 million ) and acoustically excellent opera/ballet house came in considerably cheaper than similar buildings elsewhere. A modest government financial investment has given us a winner:

The Carnival Performing Arts Centre that just opened in Miami cost ( U.S. ) $520 million; the Copenhagen and Oslo opera houses about ( U.S. ) $450 million; and Norman Foster's design for the new opera house and theatre in Dallas will set them back a cool ( U.S. ) $275 million.

I hope no one is suggesting that museums in this country are over-funded. The national museums in Ottawa are chronically under-funded and constantly have a hard time with budgeting for operations.

The sum that the government put towards the ballet/ opera symphony is paltry compared to other world capitals. You can't nickel and dime such institutions if you expect to attract the world's best.

Back