News   Apr 23, 2024
 340     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 945     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 506     0 

HarbourPoint Condos, 250-270 Queens Quay W (Huang & Danczkay, 20 + 2x 31s, ?)

G

ganjavih

Trio of ugly ducklings at water's edge

Among the least attractive buildings in city
Not designed to be part of the streetscape

CHRISTOPHER HUME

It's hard to know what to say about the Harbourpoint condos at 250, 260 and 270 Queen's Quay W., except that they rate among the least attractive buildings in Toronto.

Little wonder that when they appeared in the early 1980s, they signalled the death of Harbourfront.

With towers like these three lining the water's edge, why bother trying to clean up the lakefront?

Though some lessons have been learned in the years since, it's clear things haven't improved as much as they should have.

The exception is what's happening west of Spadina Ave., where the quality of architecture and urbanity is substantially higher.

But Harbourpoint and some of the concrete bunkers to the east on the south side of Queen's Quay remain a low point in Toronto condo history.

In fact, the complex consists of three towers sitting on top of podium made up of a four-storey parking garage.

For that reason alone, Harbourpoint should be dynamited, but it gets worse.

At ground level, the buildings rise from the ground without regard to the fact that they form part of a streetscape.

A series of nasty-looking tiled columns represent the only attempt at decoration in a development that would otherwise look right at home in a former Soviet colony.

Higher up, all one notices is the unrelieved expanse of beige masonry.

If the condo industry in Toronto has a bad name, it's because of this sort of thing.

The fact that it was built on the waterfront of all places reflects badly on all involved — the city planning department, as well as the Harbourfront brain trust, that believed programming could be subsidized by development.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
GRADE: D

040218_harbourpoint_200.jpg

PETER POWER/TORONTO STAR FILE PHOTO
The unimaginative Harbourpoint condos consist of three towers sitting on top of a podium made up of a four-storey parking garage.

D is way too generous for these things. They are frankly unredeemable. What could anybody have been thinking?

You know what the worst part is? They show up on any skyline shot from the lake. :(

If there's a bright side, I do find that Harbour Castle has now been somewhat overshadowed by Waterclub - your eye seems to be drawn to the brightness rather than the drab. Perhaps with HVE going up behind, it will help draw your eye away from these things.

I agree that D is too generous. If this does not warrant a E, for what it has done to the aesthetic of the city alone (because of its location), what would warrant an E?

In addition, I say that the architect should be tried for crimes against humanity.

D at Ryerson is a "marginal pass". Why not go for an F? F stands for "fail".

But I think it's okay to be generous when it comes to judging those buildings. At that time Toronto probably wasn't as architecturally conscious as it is now, and waterfront development was still in a "trial and error" stage. Building these things today at Harbourfront, or pretty much anywhere in central Toronto would be unforgivable.

In the photo that accompanies the article, it looks like there is retail by the street (the red awnings). Is this just the entrance to the parking? I haven't been down there since it was warm out, so I can't remember.

I think it escaped an E/F because although the base is a parking garage, it atleast is built out right to the sidewalk (judging from the pic). Perhaps retail could be added?

There is retail in those buildings and a resturant as well if memory serves me right.

"You know what the worst part is? They show up on any skyline shot from the lake. "

The worst part is that two are over 30 storey - no chance of re-development. Hope for a casualty free depilitating fire or shotty construction forcing the condo corporation to sell in a decade or two.

At least you don't get the broad side view from the lake.

oh good god! :p uke: :x

Has Hume ever given a rating for the Ry-high Library?

The good thing about the Ryerson Library and Jorgenson Hall is that they aren't noticeable unless you're a Ryerson student.

Not like those towers. They "stick up like a sore thumb".

"The good thing about the Ryerson Library and Jorgenson Hall are that they aren't noticeable unless you're a Ryerson student."

Unfortunately, Jorgenson is quite visible from Yonge St and even Bay St. Fortunately, in a couple of years, Metropolis and ROCP will block some of these views.

I wonder if anybody likes these buildings? One of the things I have noticed most about this discussion list is that there is always someone to defend a building, but this have no takers. Don't be shy, now ...

Back