News   Apr 24, 2024
 467     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 637     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 508     0 

Harbourfront

I'm not really familiar with this but I thought I read somewhere that WaterPark Place was adding another building. There may even be a thread for it somewhere but I couldn't find anything in a search.

Hello all, I'm looking for information about a "construction park" that used to occupy part of the greenspace that is now known as Little Norway Park, back in the 1970's and early 1980's. My brother and I used to play there during the summer when we were kids. Basically parents could drop off their kids and (I suppose) pay admission, and inside the park it was like a mini construction site. Kids could build their own forts using wood that was available and there were a whole assortment of tools available to use for the purpose - hammers, nails, screwdrivers, pry bars, and then they had paint and brushes and stuff to decorate your fort when it was done. Several kids would work on a fort at one time and many of them would have multiple floors and such. There was a section for little kids too with just big hollow wooden blocks for stacking. I haven't been able to find anything online... I'm hoping someone here will have a long enough memory or even *gasp* some photos...

Thanks!

Hello all, I'm looking for information about a "construction park" that used to occupy part of the greenspace that is now known as Little Norway Park, back in the 1970's and early 1980's. My brother and I used to play there during the summer when we were kids. Basically parents could drop off their kids and (I suppose) pay admission, and inside the park it was like a mini construction site. Kids could build their own forts using wood that was available and there were a whole assortment of tools available to use for the purpose - hammers, nails, screwdrivers, pry bars, and then they had paint and brushes and stuff to decorate your fort when it was done. Several kids would work on a fort at one time and many of them would have multiple floors and such. There was a section for little kids too with just big hollow wooden blocks for stacking. I haven't been able to find anything online... I'm hoping someone here will have a long enough memory or even *gasp* some photos...

Thanks!

I remember that park, it was pretty incredible. My friend and I built a 2 level house, with a veranda and bunk beds, on the top level. We even brought curtains and furniture from home. (which was in North York) I'm surprised a house didn't cave in on someone. One night they had a weekend sleep-over and a cook out. I remember sneaking into the CNE and then going back to our house/fort. It was crazy, no parents, just kids, all night long. You would never see that happening today. God, that brings back great memories. I only wish I had photos of my house.

I remember that park, it was pretty incredible. My friend and I built a 2 level house, with a veranda and bunk beds, on the top level. We even brought curtains and furniture from home. (which was in North York) I'm surprised a house didn't cave in on someone. One night they had a weekend sleep-over and a cook out. I remember sneaking into the CNE and then going back to our house/fort. It was crazy, no parents, just kids, all night long. You would never see that happening today. God, that brings back great memories. I only wish I had photos of my house.

thank you! That's it exactly. Sometimes I wondered (considering the way things are now with parents) if it was all a dream. I have no doubt there were many busted thumbs and nails-in-foot incidents but that's how we learn about tools LOL!

I found a photo of the construction park! well, sort of. In the Toronto archives, there are images of proposals for the land around the Toronto Island Airport etc from 1969-1977.

PcZ5g.jpg

In the center of the photo, you can see what is now Little Norway park (it was much larger then) and there's a fenced-in area with a trailer on the eastern fence. That was the construction park for sure! Amazing.

Hang on ... that Loblaws sign ... that's on the new upcoming Loblaws isn't it ... NE corner of Bathurst and Lakeshore? Or am I lost ... seems ironic for a 40-year period ... or has Weston owned the property for that long ...

Hang on ... that Loblaws sign ... that's on the new upcoming Loblaws isn't it ... NE corner of Bathurst and Lakeshore? Or am I lost ... seems ironic for a 40-year period ... or has Weston owned the property for that long ...

You have the location right. That building was long used by Loblaw as their distribution centre. It was next to the highway, the rail yard and the ports, a perfect location.

In the summer of 1976 I worked for a couple of months in the building to the south of it ( where the multicultural TV station used to be ), as a census clerk! We'd go over to the park at lunch time.

Just wanted to know if anyone is planning to raise a family in this great neighbourhood? My wife has lived in this area her entire life, I grew up in Chinatown/Kensington Market. With prices being so high for 2 bedroom+ units, we've met quite a few couples with young infants that start here, but eventually move out to 905. We are both Downtown T.O. folks born & raised and will do our best to raise our family here.

Just wanted to know if anyone is planning to raise a family in this great neighbourhood? My wife has lived in this area her entire life, I grew up in Chinatown/Kensington Market. With prices being so high for 2 bedroom+ units, we've met quite a few couples with young infants that start here, but eventually move out to 905. We are both Downtown T.O. folks born & raised and will do our best to raise our family here.

Alanlam,
Yeah, we’re also raising our family in the area with no intension on leaving. It was tough getting 2-1 bedroom space, but we love it. Can’t wait for the new library and (hopefully) Loblaw’s.

Apparently, the Guvernment has been sold to a developer. That is a very large site with great potential.

Application: Designated Structures Status: Examiner's Notice Sent

TORONTO M5J 2V7

Ward 28: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 13 275245 DST 00 DS Accepted Date: Dec 10, 2013

Project: First Party Sign Building Permit Related

Description: To erect and display one illuminated wall sign. **Tim Hortons**

This is the 2nd new Tim's on Queens Quay. I think this the Radisson Hotel bldg.

Application: Building Additions/Alterations Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M5J 2N5

Ward 20: Trinity-Spadina

Application#: 14 112117 BLD 00 BA Accepted Date: Jan 31, 2014

Project: Multiple Unit Building Other(BA)

Description: Proposal for interior alterations for a "Tim Hortons" on the ground floor of existing multiple unit building. Proposal inlcudes for a patio on private property. Proposal also includes for HVAC and PLB.

In the lobby of the Radisson hotel they just opened small Starbucks, 249 QQ is Shoeless Joe's. Shoeless Joe's is not doing very well after the new sport bar Amsterdam opened close by.

Back