News   Apr 30, 2024
 233     0 
News   Apr 29, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Apr 29, 2024
 1K     1 

Hamilton - Main St. E. redesign

Metrolinx should just go ahead. I don't know why they would wait for a project that is going to take three years to hang new stop lights, take down arrows, and paint a yellow line.

Any updates on Main Street? The meeting was apparently 3 weeks ago…

Also, the City’s DRP Website again hasn’t been updated in almost two months (last update Oct 11), despite a meeting on Nov 9th?
I reached out the the DRP email and they saids they'd get on updating it, but that was a week ago, so feel free to do so as well. I feel like I'm pestering them when I email multiple times. I really wish the city had a portal like Burlington and Toronto with all the documents and links to the DRP and such.

Metrolinx should just go ahead. I don't know why they would wait for a project that is going to take three years to hang new stop lights, take down arrows, and paint a yellow line.
I don't think the Main St conversion is actually slowing the LRT at all. I think that article slightly misrepresents the situation a bit. My understanding is that the Main St conversion will be done between 2026 and 2028. The LRT will likely have most of the utilities moving around 2024-2027, with guideway installation between 2027-2030. I expect the not downtown portion to be done first so that by the time King St is fully shut down for guideway installation, Main St is done.

New accelerator timeline for Main St E
https://www.thespec.com/news/hamilt...cle_274d5baa-f755-5828-908f-5be9a9dfcb43.html
IMG_2929.jpeg

Not related to Main St, but the tender for the reconstruction of York Blvd and Cannon St (to James St) was released today. For anyone who isn't in the loop - this involves a reconstruction of York Blvd and Cannon St.

A YouTube video with the details is available here:

Not related to Main St, but the tender for the reconstruction of York Blvd and Cannon St (to James St) was released today. For anyone who isn't in the loop - this involves a reconstruction of York Blvd and Cannon St.

A YouTube video with the details is available here:
Did you see this somewhere? I've been trying to find the final design for some time now.

Did you see this somewhere? I've been trying to find the final design for some time now.

Not sure if a final design was posted, I'd imagine the design is in the tender documents - Unfortunately you can't access them without paying to register. https://hamilton.bidsandtenders.ca/Module/Tenders/en
You can make a free tender account and still access the documents.

Some key shots:

york 2.png
Yok 1.png

Involves resurfacing York from Dundurn to Caroline and Cannon from York to James. A small part of Dundurn will also be resurfaced from Jones to York. Curb-level cycle tracks are included, as well as barriers on the existing bike lanes between the RBG and York St-403 ramps further west.

Lane widths on York are being dropped to 3+3.3m, the left turn lane to Dundurn is being extended (yay!), the slip ramps at Dundurn are gone, the Hess-York intersection is cleaned up, a bunch of left turn spots along York are gone, a whole whack of new tree plantings are included, and Hess St will also be converted to two-way between York and Barton (though not resurfaced).

Some key shots:

View attachment 556566View attachment 556567

Involves resurfacing York from Dundurn to Caroline and Cannon from York to James. A small part of Dundurn will also be resurfaced from Jones to York. Curb-level cycle tracks are included, as well as barriers on the existing bike lanes between the RBG and York St-403 ramps further west.

Lane widths on York are being dropped to 3+3.3m, the left turn lane to Dundurn is being extended (yay!), the slip ramps at Dundurn are gone, the Hess-York intersection is cleaned up, a bunch of left turn spots along York are gone, a whole whack of new tree plantings are included, and Hess St will also be converted to two-way between York and Barton (though not resurfaced).
Wow. Thanks for this. Huge changes...will be a welcome update to a key entrance into the City.

Indeed. Going to make the York St entrance to the city great. York St is going to become much more important in accessing the downtown (and likely far more congested) once the LRT and Main St conversion get underway, so it's good to see this happening now to clean it up.

there are a bunch of other major resurfacing projects in the city as well this year (Wilson St resurfacing / 2-way conversion, Upper Wentworth next to Limeridge, Sherman Ave).

Last edited:

Some key shots:

View attachment 556566View attachment 556567

I downloaded it by making a free account. Appreciate the link and advice!

I like a lot of the changes. This is going to be a super fancy street. A few things I'm not a fan of. Lack of westbound cycling connection from York/Bay. Lack of PXO addition (that I can understand) at Park St. This area just requires people to run across 3 lanes of traffic. Lack of fixing the shit show Bay/Cannon intersection for cyclists (though the addition of a concrete barrier is great on the northeast corner).

I downloaded it by making a free account. Appreciate the link and advice!

I like a lot of the changes. This is going to be a super fancy street. A few things I'm not a fan of. Lack of westbound cycling connection from York/Bay. Lack of PXO addition (that I can understand) at Park St. This area just requires people to run across 3 lanes of traffic. Lack of fixing the shit show Bay/Cannon intersection for cyclists (though the addition of a concrete barrier is great on the northeast corner).
Just reading through this a bit more - the scheduled completion date for all works is November 30, 2024. It will be an action-packed summer seeing as the bid closes in early May and the City likely requires a few weeks to review and select a contractor.

Just reading through this a bit more - the scheduled completion date for all works is November 30, 2024. It will be an action-packed summer seeing as the bid closes in early May and the City likely requires a few weeks to review and select a contractor.
Pretty quick turnaround for some major changes. I suspect it will go late, just a guess.

Back