Hamilton Hamilton Line B LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

The current expected "in service" date is just 2024. From link.

Any chance for a more fixed date? Like April 8, 2024? The date of the total eclipse to cover Hamilton (and Niagara).

20240408_eclipse_path.jpg

Would like to use the LRT in Hamilton before, during, and after the eclipse.

Coincidentially, I just tweeted about this!
https://twitter.com/mdrejhon/status/899707755757522949

Hamilton will probably attract lots of Toronto, as it is only partial eclipse in Toronto but total eclipse. That would be a good time to show off the new LRT.

Also, check out the recent pix taken under the #LRTready hashtag, we Hamiltonians had a tour of KW's ION LRT.

The current expected "in service" date is just 2024. From link.

Any chance for a more fixed date? Like April 8, 2024? The date of the total eclipse to cover Hamilton (and Niagara).

20240408_eclipse_path.jpg

Would like to use the LRT in Hamilton before, during, and after the eclipse.

Coincidentially, I just tweeted about this!
https://twitter.com/mdrejhon/status/899707755757522949

Hamilton will probably attract lots of Toronto, as it is only partial eclipse in Toronto but total eclipse. That would be a good time to show off the new LRT.

Also, check out the recent pix taken under the #LRTready hashtag, we Hamiltonians had a tour of KW's ION LRT.
I think 99% is good enough for most of Toronto unlike the ~70% we got yesterday unless you really want to witness night time. It'll have to attract the BC folks.

Last edited:
I think this is a beneficial thing for Hamilton's own good, especially since the HSR cant properly operate the system currently in place right now. Whoever operates the system in the future cant possibly do a worse job than what the HSR is doing right now.

Why would the City want to take on the risk of turning a bus operator into an LRT operator.

Why would the City want to take on the risk of turning a bus operator into an LRT operator.
They weren't always a bus operator. Hamilton used to have a lot of streetcars in its day.

But that was ages ago, and city council has starved HSR over the decades to the point where we had a crisis of hundreds of cancelled buses recently due to lack of drivers. It's gotten so bad, some Hamiltonians have rolled out the red carpet to let the province essentially operate municipal rapid transit.

It shouldn't have come to this point.

The sentiment is kind of "HSR should operate LRT, but HSR (and council) are currently unable to." ....

Not everyone agrees on the details (e.g. Fix HSR first? Fund HSR properly? Wait till HSR ready? Let province go ahead? Etc), and people who want the LRT start almost universally agreeing on that quoted sentiment.

Unfortunately, LRT is now officially becoming a Hamilton Election 2018 topic.

Last edited:

Back