Hamilton Hamilton Line B LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Oliver Moore‏@moore_oliver
There's been a lot of fog about whether #HamOnt has a funding commitment for an LRT, or $1-billion to spend on transit more generally

2:33 PM - 21 Apr 2017
    1. Oliver Moore‏@moore_oliver 7m7 minutes ago
      Replying to @moore_oliver
      I double-checked with govt and am told: "The funding is not allocated specifically to the City of Hamilton but to the LRT project" #HamOnt

3 replies2 retweets2 likes

2. Oliver Moore‏@moore_oliver 6m6 minutes ago
      Which suggests a Brampton scenario: turn down the money and it gets re-allocated, leaving Hamilton to apply later for funding of new project
https://twitter.com/moore_oliver/status/855489566446366720

So is the Hamilton LRT more like Toronto LRT or LA LRT?

In what sense? How it runs at grade? I'm not as familiar with LA system but my sense of the Hamilton-Toronto comparison is that both are street running in their own separate right-of-way. I'd assume the Hamilton and Toronto LRTs have similar characteristics in terms of speed and stop spacing.

I'm not ashamed to be quick to suggest other uses of the money.
- Accelerate Niagara GO, which benefits Hamilton
- Similarly, accelerate trackwork between Oakville and Canpa to accelerate express half hourly Hamilton-Union GO service, again benefits Hamilton
- Milton GO improvements keeps the money close by
- Bowmanville GO - if you really want to send the message that 'it's gone'

- Paul

- Similarly, accelerate trackwork between Oakville and Canpa to accelerate express half hourly Hamilton-Union GO service, again benefits Hamilton

- Paul

The Scarborough Subway Extension is also $220M short of provincial money so I can see certain Councillors and MPPs in that area clamouring for it.

The Scarborough Subway Extension is also $220M short of provincial money so I can see certain Councillors and MPPs in that area clamouring for it.
Oh the irony....take money away from one city that dared to reject the provincial LRT plan and give it to another that did the same thing but who's new plan needs more money ;)

Oh the irony....take money away from one city that dared to reject the provincial LRT plan and give it to another that did the same thing but who's new plan needs more money ;)

It would be unfortunate and something I wouldn't be happy with. Hopefully Scarborough is the last example and only scenario play out the way it did. The jury is still out of course on how the gap will be filled. Maybe the City will have to do it, or the feds.

- Paul
I think that fed announcement from a week ago covers Lakeshore West, not sure.

Well the Liberals there could use a boost for their re-election efforts.

Just dump the money into a generalized Metrolinx RER pot and be done with it, IMO.
Not if we #yesLRT advocates can help it. The fat lady hasn't sung yet.

That said, in theory, for the same billion -- I'd take (1) Hamilton-wide massive bus expansion, or (2) 15-min Hamilton GO electrification, grade separations included, split at the junction to 30-min interspersed between West Harbour/Niagara route and Hamilton Downtown. ;)

So is the Hamilton LRT more like Toronto LRT or LA LRT?
In between.

LA-Like
- Large subway-style stop spacing (larger than TTC StClair/Spadina)
- Dedicated ROW.
- All door subway style level boarding
- Supports consists (linked vehicles)
- Bidirectional vehicles, Cabs both ends, no turning loop neede
- Pantographs instead of trolleypole

TTC-Like
- Level intersections (but with upgraded GPS-triggered traffic priority green lights)
- 30-Meter LRVs that look similiar (except Hamilton is capable of linked vehicles)
- ROW similiar looking to Spadina (except for much bigger raised median platforms)

Last edited:
I wonder if he's bluffing or would actually switch his vote? Given all of the concerns he's put forward, such a simple change impacting his vote seems surprising. Going to Eastgate is essentially going back to the original plan.
Terry Whitehead is actually a complex Undecided than a definite NO.
The media puts him in the NO category, but he's not a straight-arrow verbatim NO. He whines and asks questions, to sometimed maddening insanity, but ultimately voted towards it many times. He's a closet #yesLRT if the variables are tweaked accordingly.

I know him well enough (repeated votes for LRT under Eastgate over the years) that he sometimes responds well to this type of quid-pro-quos. He is an enigmatic local figure, frustrating to many, but he never was a hardcore NOLRT (except for the necessary pandering to his Ward 8 to keep his electorate satisfied).

I think he's 50-50.

Last edited:
Wynne should resign for listening to the opinion of a local council?

I support this LRT as much as anyone else, but municipal autonomy needs to be respected. Hamilton is a mature government of 550,000 people. They're capable of making their own decisions.
Respecting their wishes is probably fine. Respecting an elongated debate or flip flops, as we have seen (in Hamilton and elsewhere), is not. If Hamilton really did not want the LRT, this should have been settled a year ago, not now. If a municipality doesn't want to be treated like a child by the province, they shouldn't act like one.

Move the money to the Milton GO line. Enough of this. Why do Ontarians turn into brats when Light Rail Transit comes up?

Because the concept hasn't been applied effectively in Ontario yet, so most people haven't seen it yet and don't understand what it can do for them.

The Hamilton debate is doubly confused because there is a large population who aren't engaged towards transforming the downtown, or who think that means returning it to a past state rather than moving it forward to something new.

Perhaps keeping our options open while we wait for Kitchener and Ottawa to set an example is the best we can hope for.

- Paul

Back