Hamilton Hamilton Line B LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

So are the funds for this sitting in a vault somewhere, with it dedicated specifically for the Hamilton area? With the LRT effectively cancelled (I'm not sure if it is, just going by the last few posts), then maybe it can be directed to something like expedited GO improvements to the area. Or expansion. Perhaps bringing rail service to Brantford could be something supported by Hamiltonians.

So are the funds for this sitting in a vault somewhere, with it dedicated specifically for the Hamilton area? With the LRT effectively cancelled (I'm not sure if it is, just going by the last few posts), then maybe it can be directed to something like expedited GO improvements to the area. Or expansion. Perhaps bringing rail service to Brantford could be something supported by Hamiltonians.

It's all future years' money, yes? Makes it that much easier to deliver a balanced budget just before the next election.

- Paul

Will you say the same if the province dictates to Toronto that they have to support Mississauga BRT by paying for and building true RT lanes in Toronto along Dundas (even though the TTC does not need them)?

Or it tells the TTC that the choice of the DRL along Queen is wrong and should be along King?

Or that Scarborough needs a subway?
TTC will benefit with an BRT on Dundas until the subway is built to Cloverdale. You can use X route to service stops between BRT stops which will piss off various riders since they will have to do extra transferring, but will be only for a few riders and saving time for the rest of the riders.

If the EA say King is the better route over Queen, then the EA must prove in detail without being skew that is the best choice regardless what some may say.

The business case must prove a subway is needed in the first place or what every, not the wishes of x people and use the correct technology for X service to meet ridership needs.

I have seen LRT lines in the US and walk away shaking my head as to why they were built in the first place, let alone where it was built.

If and when EA's are truly done without worrying about fall out, we are going to get the wrong system in the wrong location for the wrong reason.

There are no funds setting in account for X system not built as X party doesn't want it since the money is not there in the first place. If X system is to be built, money will come out of X account for all projects or general funds and only then will it into that X account.

Last edited:
Another development:

LRT debate: Old plan pitched as last-minute new plan

Reverting to Hamilton's original light rail transit route is the latest last-gasp suggestion to prevent an increasingly troubled LRT project from going off the rails.

LRT critic Coun. Terry Whitehead added a new twist to the saga at this past Wednesday's marathon meeting by declaring he would "absolutely" vote to move ahead if the LRT route to Eastgate Square is reinstated.

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/7253923-lrt-debate-old-plan-pitched-as-last-minute-new-plan/

What on earth is the logic behind turning down complete provincial funding so that it may be re-offered (and possibly re-declined) in the future?! I can't understand at all this common Canadian mentality of not wanting to build public infrastructure. While other cities just get on with it, Canadian cities defer and defer, hem and haw and then a bunch of morons who know nothing about literally anything scream "MY TAX DOLLARS! SOMETHING SOMETHING RATEPAYERS ASSOCIATION!", as if they are special for paying taxes. A couple years ago, I saw a news reporter interviewing local Hamiltonians on their thoughts about the LRT. One particular man, who looked to be in his late 40s, wearing a hoodie and a dirty baseball cap, and whose name was no doubt Bobby or Timmy or Petey, smirked, chuckled and said "yeah, Hamilton's not ready for something like that. We're not ready for that." and then he walked off.
What does that even mean?

I wonder if he's bluffing or would actually switch his vote? Given all of the concerns he's put forward, such a simple change impacting his vote seems surprising. Going to Eastgate is essentially going back to the original plan.

Another development:

LRT debate: Old plan pitched as last-minute new plan

Reverting to Hamilton's original light rail transit route is the latest last-gasp suggestion to prevent an increasingly troubled LRT project from going off the rails.

LRT critic Coun. Terry Whitehead added a new twist to the saga at this past Wednesday's marathon meeting by declaring he would "absolutely" vote to move ahead if the LRT route to Eastgate Square is reinstated.

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/7253923-lrt-debate-old-plan-pitched-as-last-minute-new-plan/

I wonder if he's bluffing or would actually switch his vote? Given all of the concerns he's put forward, such a simple change impacting his vote seems surprising. Going to Eastgate is essentially going back to the original plan.
Just wonder how the province would react to changing their preferred plan that already has an EA, switching to a new route and knowing that new route has a couple of hundred million dollars of additional cost? If only there was precedent?

Just wonder how the province would react to changing their preferred plan that already has an EA, switching to a new route and knowing that new route has a couple of hundred million dollars of additional cost? If only there was precedent?

I'm not sure if it can be considered a "new" route given it was the original route. My understanding is that the province itself shortened it to fund the A-line LRT spur to West Harbour because they wanted to connect to a GO station. Then they changed their minds and deleted the spur and are saying the money could be used to study BRT on the A Line.

As TheTigerMaster has suggested, one option could be that Hamilton picks up the tab to extend the line back to Eastgate.

I'm not sure if it can be considered a "new" route given it was the original route. My understanding is that the province itself shortened it to fund the A-line LRT spur to West Harbour because they wanted to connect to a GO station. Then they changed their minds and deleted the spur and are saying the money could be used to study BRT on the A Line.

As TheTigerMaster has suggested, one option could be that Hamilton picks up the tab to extend the line back to Eastgate.
I just find it interesting that the province would designate a route as their preferred route...have an EA in hand and then let a municipality change/extend their preferred route and leave their money on the table and let the city pick up the extra.

I just find it interesting that the province would designate a route as their preferred route...have an EA in hand and then let a municipality change/extend their preferred route and leave their money on the table and let the city pick up the extra.

Well, we won't know until next week what the Province or Council will do. Also, given the full B-Line is part of the BLAST network, which the municipality supports, it's not as though the "preferred" route is exclusive to the Province. It's been part of the municipal plans for a long time. I'm not as familiar with Hamilton as I am with other situations but my attempt at summarizing is: Hamilton asks the Province to fund the B-Line. The Province does but shortens the B-Line and adds the A-Line Spur. The Province changes its mind and drops the Spur but says the remainder of the money can be used to study BRT on the full A-Line. Some in Hamilton want the B-Line to continue back to its original length. Some here have said the municipality could fund the gap from Queenston to Eastgate, and others want to use the $1B to restore the original length (IE filling the gap).

C9PK2OaXsAEm3U5.jpg

C3qyApXWYAEddOT.jpg

Last edited:

Back