Hamilton Hamilton Line B LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Is YHM a big traffic generator? The economics of airport trains can be sketchy in much larger contexts than YHM is, because of the baggage element.

YHM has huge potential for employment growth. They do not have a night time curfew which is very enticing to cargo carriers. I think DHL and UPS use YHM a lot and it is expected to expand. Think of a package from Southern US (Atlanta as an example). Gets picked up at 5 and sorted by 11pm. The plane can take off for Hamilton and it's there by 2am (YYZ would not allow it to land). On a truck ready for distribution by 6am and at your door before noon. Fedex is stuck keeping it in ATL until 4am and in Toronto at 7. On the truck by 10 and you will only get your package in the afternoon.

They also have a lot of employment lands around the airport that can be used for businesses. Think of the business parks around Pearson but built with transit in mind.

On the passenger side they've always wanted that low cost niche. Trying to grab the people that are willing to travel to Buffalo for cheap flights. The past 5-10 years haven't been great for them since Buffalo added a bunch more gates and the KW airport has been aggressive as well. If they can offer a low cost service with transit to the airport door I think it may be appealing to people in Toronto who are willing to travel on the GO/LRT for 1 hour to save a couple of hundred dollars on their flight to Cancun.

That all being said it's a long way out before it's busy enough. Start with an express bus and see how it goes.

I thought YHM had almost no passenger traffic? Plus it's way out in the middle of nowhere.. I can't imagine it justifying even a semi frequent bus service yet alone BRT or LRT. I struggle to ever see it with significant passenger traffic either, it's simply too close to a global airport like Pearson. Pearson apparently has the most direct connections to international destinations out of any airport. Globally.. you just can't compete with a centre like that which is only a 45 minute drive in any significant way, no matter how much airport boosters may want to think otherwise.

why not just built the whole line to the airport or at least rymal?

There's no density along Upper James south of the Linc to support Rapid Transit (just yet).
In a few decades when those sprawling lots fronting the big boxes that dominate Upper James are converted to condos like you see in Toronto's inner-suburbs, there's just not enough density to support rapid transit here.

Anecdotal I know, but whenever I take the A-Line there's always less than 10 people on the bus south of Mohawk College. The 41 Mohawk Bus, on the other hand, is always packed. Mohawk Rd also has a bunch of low, mid and high-rise apartments that line it.

I take the 35 College Bus from downtown towards Rymal for work (roughly following the light blue line on the map, three posts above). On the 35 College, after you stop at Mohawk the bus is 80% empty, and that is during rush hour.

I think terminating at Lime Ridge is far more appropriate.

I can back this up. I take the 27 Upper James, 35 College and 20 A-Line up to Rymal a few times a month and they're all pretty empty south of Mohawk Rd, with most passengers getting off at Mohawk College. The A-Line is the emptiest.

I thought YHM had almost no passenger traffic? Plus it's way out in the middle of nowhere.. I can't imagine it justifying even a semi frequent bus service yet alone BRT or LRT. I struggle to ever see it with significant passenger traffic either, it's simply too close to a global airport like Pearson. Pearson apparently has the most direct connections to international destinations out of any airport. Globally.. you just can't compete with a centre like that which is only a 45 minute drive in any significant way, no matter how much airport boosters may want to think otherwise.
Fair enough. We need new development.

There's no density along Upper James south of the Linc to support Rapid Transit (just yet).
In a few decades when those sprawling lots fronting the big boxes that dominate Upper James are converted to condos like you see in Toronto's inner-suburbs, there's just not enough density to support rapid transit here.

Anecdotal I know, but whenever I take the A-Line there's always less than 10 people on the bus south of Mohawk College. The 41 Mohawk Bus, on the other hand, is always packed. Mohawk Rd also has a bunch of low, mid and high-rise apartments that line it.
I can back this up. I take the 27 Upper James, 35 College and 20 A-Line up to Rymal a few times a month and they're all pretty empty south of Mohawk Rd, with most passengers getting off at Mohawk College. The A-Line is the emptiest.
I see. So this looks like the best plan. We can we see construction begin?

That all being said it's a long way out before it's busy enough. Start with an express bus and see how it goes.

Perhaps a GO bus from Aldershot would be worthwhile, if the purpose is to try and get flyers from around the GTA.

I see. So this looks like the best plan. We can we see construction begin?

When Hamilton City Council actually decides to put money towards LRT instead of just waiting for the Province to pick up the entire tab. They should just follow the Ottawa model: put up money yourself, then ask the Province and Feds to match it. It worked for Phase II.

Announcement tomorrow:

Media Advisory
Minister to Make Public Transit Announcement
February 1, 2017 3:00 P.M.

Ministry of Transportation

Steven Del Duca, Minister of Transportation will make an announcement about improving public transit. He will be joined by John Jensen, Chief Capital Officer of Metrolinx and Fred Eisenberger, Mayor of Hamilton.

Date: Thursday, Feb. 2, 2017

Time: 9 a.m.

BRT for A-Line

Attachments

• IMG_2057.JPG
    IMG_2057.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 186
whats the point of an announcement that far out? that is 14 years from now, construction for it probably won't start for 6-7 years..

Back