Hamilton Hamilton Line B LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

The Delta (Main @ King) doesn't make sense from a north-south bus connection perspective. Sorry.
Get rid of Scott Park and replace it with a Gage Ave stop. Simple as that.

The Delta (Main @ King) doesn't make sense from a north-south bus connection perspective. Sorry.
Get rid of Scott Park and replace it with a Gage Ave stop. Simple as that.
From a stop spacing perspective, choosing Gage Rd versus Scott Park is a separate battle from whether there is a stop or not at Delta. It is not mutually exclusive, given the distance between Gage Rd and the Delta.

There is merit, as you definitely raised, indeed, but volunteer time is limited.

For now, International Village and Delta are easier "sells", easier battles to rally support over for volunteers. Different local pro-LRT groups (e.g. HLR Initiative) may focus on different 'battles', though. There are multiple active local pro-LRT groups/advocacies (biggest ones being hamiltonlightrail.ca and hamiltonLRT.ca -- the latter one of which I'm involved as part of).

Last edited:
From a stop spacing perspective, choosing Gage Rd versus Scott Park is a separate battle from whether there is a stop or not at Delta. It is not mutually exclusive, given the distance between Gage Rd and the Delta.

There is merit, as you definitely raised, indeed, but volunteer time is limited.

For now, International Village and Delta are easier "sells", easier battles to rally support over for volunteers. Different local pro-LRT groups (e.g. HLR Initiative) may focus on different 'battles', though. There are multiple active local pro-LRT groups/advocacies (biggest ones being hamiltonlightrail.ca and hamiltonLRT.ca -- the latter one of which I'm involved as part of).

I didn't realize we were trying to "sell" something.
Here I am thinking we're trying to build a connected, convenient rapid transit system. How silly of me.
Make sure there's a stop for a few high schoolers and TiCats fans to use! That's way more important than having a connecting bus that gets people around as quickly and conveniently as possible.
smh. give yours a shake, too!

Well.... Stop being sourgrapes and why don't you volunteer and help us, or one of the affiliated groups then?
Cheer up...

I never disagreed with the need to strengthen north-south connections.

I only disagreed how urgent the Scott vs Gage positioning was, on the strength of the pro/cons, I have no opposition to others trying to fine-tune Scott vs Gage, as long as it doesn't interfere with the re-add of Delta.

The missing Delta station (which many hadn't noticed and still didn't) surprised more people when it was clearly pointed out, and I am helping out with them. It's just what was picked in our community, and felt Gage vs Scott is a lesser emergency than the big stop spacing and missing Delta station. (Also, the non-monetary dictionary definition of 'sell': "persuade the merits of")

Different subgroups are focussing on different objectives. Help the community, will you?

On another notes, we now have heard back September is not necessarily final stations: I've been informed by Paul Johnson that consultations are occurring this fall for public comment on the September release of plans, and amendments from community response (including tweaks like stations and to station locations) may still be done through to January 2017.

Last edited:
We're aware of the NoLRT crowd and staying ahead in various channels. I knew since last September, this was their first public meeting.

There is more, but I don't want to give the NoLRT people any informational advantage.

I don't even live in Hamilton and that article makes my blood boil. Thanks to those who are spending time and effort to make the LRT happen.

I very much support the LRT - but - don't dismiss the NoLRT as just NIMBY's.

They may raise some very relevant and useful concerns about potential pinch points. Their input may be a useful challenge process and might tease out the places where the LRT designers need to dig deeper - and maybe spend more.

The biggest risk with all these new LRT's is that the designers underestimate the potential conflicts between road and LRT modes, and push through a bare bones design that leaves no one happy. (The Eglinton West design is a good example. I was pleased to see Councillor Campbell's motion this week asking for more study on particular intersections)

LRT isn't foolproof - if we get one wrong, it will be harder to sell future projects. This is a chance to look at what could go wrong, and fix it.

- Paul

I very much support the LRT - but - don't dismiss the NoLRT as just NIMBY's.

They may raise some very relevant and useful concerns about potential pinch points. Their input may be a useful challenge process and might tease out the places where the LRT designers need to dig deeper - and maybe spend more.
This.

It's important to note that there is a huge mix of people -- many are reasonable minded and are concerned tax payers and families with children and just expressing frustration at what they feel is a waste of taxpayer funds -- yet is able to respectfully communicate with both pro/anti, even if disagreeing.

(Like in a while "While I respect you are for the LRT, I disagree and feel there are..." rather than the four-letter name-calling crowd).

That said, others have actually been extremely aggressive (for example, a business owner told me one of them rudely barged into a pro-LRT store, demanded to speak to manager, and was patronizing/belittling, for example -- no respectfulness). It's the nasty ~10% of this audience that I don't wish to give one iota of informational advantage to -- I have seen a lot of tactics behind the scenes in the last 10 months.

Last edited:
To be fair --

The good. There are a bunch of good points in the report, like the need for the 10-Year HSR Rapid Ready plan, and the overall need for rapid transit. Legitimate concerns like Bombardier delays, etc.

The bad. The report contains many issues as well as is biased with cherrypicked information, mixed in with sensible writing. Heavily cherrypicked against LRT. Was not peer-reviewed as Terry originally apparently promised.

There's been quite a local buzz, both in the media and the twitterverse. Both the pro-LRT and anti-LRT sides are making exaggerations and are fighting each other, even as I stay out of that.

A doctorate at McMaster University, Chris Higgins, with specialization in transportation has peer reviewed Terry's report, and found several errors.

CHCH
http://www.chch.com/terry-whiteheads-lrt-report/

CBC:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/terry-whitehead-lrt-1.3693863

Dr. Chris Higgins (Transportation), critique:

Dr. Chris Higgins' peer review on Google Drive:
https://1drv.ms/b/s!Ag0JyHxqHIsm3zgmH_7WLJ4t5ZsP

Needless to say; even after reading this, my position has not changed -- I remain pro A-Line and B-Line LRT.

Also, the HSR bus ridership numbers are suspect, from anecdotes, despite having come from HSR's Dixon. Automatic passenger counters are not used, and very rare, not always the correct peak hour (given McMaster peak is not always fully in sync with work peak), infrequent manual counts were done -- often months go by before counting passengers on HSR bus routes.

Also, needs to be factored in -- express and local service often cannibalize each other's passengers because of full buses for either in the morning service. There's often room if you're boarding near the end of the route but by the middle of the route, the bus is full of McMaster students, for example -- at Sherman and King My spouse tells me he has often missed a lot of B-Line buses going westwards that were full by Sherman and King, and had to catch the #1 local bus instead; so there's some ridership consolidation effects not currently factored in this report. Also, local bus service will continue to run along the LRT route or parallel to the LRT route, with LRT being express -- but with the favourability of LRT it is expected to get a bigger lion's share of riders. (TTC also runs bus routes above subways in some suburban sections where the stop spacing is large, even if these local bus service may be a smaller percentage of total riders). HSR's bus network is a little inefficiently laid out in some parts (with some multi-route choke points, like near Westdale, getting a bus every 2 minutes at peak) which pushes people onto different bus routes that are thusly not counted.

Today, at this time, the B-Line is every 10 minutes at its most frequent, so poor service levels along sections throttle ridership of the B-Line, which is just six articulated buses per hour -- an unfair projection of LRT ridership if you're limiting the service capacity. Residents I know (and spouse) say they often get onto the local bus anyway, after missing a full B-Line Express that does not always stop to pick up new riders in the morning peak once it's filled up halfway on its route during peak period (student & work).

Given the conflicting numbers that exist out there, I really think some citizens probably need to commission a private passenger count on multiple LRT-corridor bus routes -- to get the real truth on bus ridership. What I'm seeing on the buses appears inconsistent with Terry's claims of peak hour ridership.

Attachments

• upload_2016-7-25_22-41-33.png
    upload_2016-7-25_22-41-33.png
    391 KB · Views: 555
Last edited:
^ Here's hoping logic prevails and your organization chooses Gage Ave as a stop over The Delta or Scott Park.

You say you support the HSR's 10-year plan, but you would rather have a stop in front of a high school instead of at a north-south bus connector.

Back