News   Apr 25, 2024
 138     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 401     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.3K     1 

Google Maps

Does anyone know when Google Maps will update their satellite imagery for Toronto? Many major cities in Canada were updated about a year ago (with the inclusion of bird's eye view); whereas we haven't seen one in over 4 years. Why such a long delay? Is there no one to contact to find out when the next update will be?

Does anyone know when Google Maps will update their satellite imagery for Toronto? Many major cities in Canada were updated about a year ago (with the inclusion of bird's eye view); whereas we haven't seen one in over 4 years. Why such a long delay? Is there no one to contact to find out when the next update will be?
Just visited my home on Google Maps and a car that I bought on October 20, 2010 is in my driveway so the photo must be less than 3 years old.

Just visited my home on Google Maps and a car that I bought on October 20, 2010 is in my driveway so the photo must be less than 3 years old.

According to Google Earth -- which uses the same image -- it was taken in August, 2009.

Based on construction, I'm guessing fall 2012?
Interesting ... looking around ... it varies wildly, depending where you are, and also how much you zoom in. There's places in Toronto that when you zoom in it's 2006 (for example, at the CNE, BMO Field is under construction).

Does anyone know if the Google Toronto headquarters would know when the next update is coming? They don't appear to have a contact email address, unfortunately. You'd think major cities would be given priority for updates. Even Niagara On The Lake has new imagery -- I wonder what the delay is for Toronto?

Does anyone know if the Google Toronto headquarters would know when the next update is coming? They don't appear to have a contact email address, unfortunately. You'd think major cities would be given priority for updates. Even Niagara On The Lake has new imagery -- I wonder what the delay is for Toronto?
I'd like to know this too.

Most of Durham Region has been updated (2013) and other pockets of the GTA are as current as 2012. You will need Google Earth in order to activate the time-line slider in order to see the different imagery layers by date.

Looks like there's new Google Streetview imagery up for Toronto. I've seen as recent as October 2014.

Google Streetview Spadina.png

Attachments

• Google Streetview Spadina.png
    Google Streetview Spadina.png
    849.9 KB · Views: 597
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but Google Earth for Toronto now has updated/photorealistic models now, much like Apple Maps, doing away with user submitted ones. It has much more coverage now and the buildings are accurate to the real things (new additions include Aura, etc). Not sure when it was updated but it probably coincides with the updated street views.

Last edited:
Would have loved for some 3D imagery updates to Toronto instead.

But I'll take the streetview updates, though I hope they have also been busy with updating European cities and tourist hotspots this year, the pandemic probably offered a unique opportunity to get summer-time imagery without tons of crowds.

Back