Good gay-friendly doctors in Toronto | Page 3

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by SP!RE, Mar 29, 2010.

1. vvanderthirst

vvanderthirst New Member

Which doc is tat :p

2. freshcutgrass

freshcutgrass Senior Member

Ah...so the problem does not seem to be doctors, as they are all gay friendly. The problem is that you are a heterophobic patient. :p

3. torontologist

torontologist Active Member

I can assure you that is not the case.

In my experience, most doctors with a very different "lived experience" are not comfortable talking about LGBTQ health concerns. That, in addition to the risk of bias, is the reason many queer people are more comfortable with a queer doctor.

4. freshcutgrass

freshcutgrass Senior Member

First of all, what gave you the impression they were uncomfortable? It's possible you are just projecting, as they are the trained professionals and you aren't. It's like some people prefer a male or female doctor. Has less to do with the quality of service and more to do with your own level of comfort.

Secondly, the kind of health related sexual questions you need to ask a GP have little, if nothing to do with your orientation. I could understand a gay-friendly shrink (as there are gay-specific mental health issue)s, but not a GP.

5. nfitz

nfitz Superstar

That's true of anything though ... my one doctor started the physical with the "how much do you drink" question, and my answer of "not enough" seemed to create surprising concern, and many more unnecessary questions (I was serious, I can go weeks without a drink, as it simply doesn't cross my mind. I'd probably be better for 2-3 drinks a week). I later learned he was some religion I'm not very familiar with that doesn't drink.