News   Mar 28, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 595     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 892     0 

GO Transit: Union Station Shed Replacement & Track Upgrades (Zeidler)

But would that still be the rule if we had high wider platforms?

Hard to say for sure. Its possible they could increase the speed somewhat if the congestion on the platforms is reduced. The speed limit within the station was previously reduced from 15mph/24kph to just 10mph/16kph due to those safety concerns a few years back. But the trend over the last few years is towards being more cautious/overprotective. I could see them bringing it back up to the previous limit but I doubt they would allow for anything more.

I understand the benefit of the passing track, but I don't think it's anywhere near justified. Implementing it would require rearranging the tracks, which is a non-starter given the support pillars (as we've discussed countless times in this tread). It also eliminates the Spanish Solution arrangement we currently have, increasing dwell times.

And finally, Union Station mostly sees terminating services, unlike Amsterdam Centraal.

I appreciate your points. I see "non-starter" as a more fluid situation. Things may be different a few decades from now. Spanish solution helps, though stairs and aisles only empty so fast.

And even though most of the service (i.e. people) terminate at union, the trains themselves need to be through routed for efficiency especially in the all day frequent service era.

I appreciate your points. I see "non-starter" as a more fluid situation. Things may be different a few decades from now. Spanish solution helps, though stairs and aisles only empty so fast.

And even though most of the service (i.e. people) terminate at union, the trains themselves need to be through routed for efficiency especially in the all day frequent service era.

I think in this case "non-starter" is pretty absolute. Rebuilding the foundations of Union will cost hundreds of millions of dollars, and no matter the demand at Union the money will be better spent on projects which have other benefits in addition to adding capacity (like the DRL).

Not all platforms need to be through-routeable. Keep in mind that we have layover yards on both sides of Union, Bathurst and Don. Many services can terminate at Union and head back out the same way, such as the Milton, Kitchener, Barrie and Richmond Hill commuter trains.

I noticed there is a mosaic on the bottom side of the new atrium. Is this just because there is stuff inside the atrium making shadows, or was this intentional? I don't remember seeing this before.

IMG_20141212_112308.jpg

IMG_20141212_112316.jpg

IMG_20141212_112355.jpg

IMG_20141212_112417.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20141212_112308.jpg
    IMG_20141212_112308.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 2,170
  • IMG_20141212_112316.jpg
    IMG_20141212_112316.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 2,217
  • IMG_20141212_112355.jpg
    IMG_20141212_112355.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 2,171
  • IMG_20141212_112417.jpg
    IMG_20141212_112417.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 2,146
Thanks for the pics Roundabout!

I happened to be taking the Go Train over the weekend and had a chance to check out the shed. It's coming along, but it's such a shame it doesn't extend the entire length. I understand the old roof is historical, but surely something bigger and bolder could have been done.

I noticed there is a mosaic on the bottom side of the new atrium. Is this just because there is stuff inside the atrium making shadows, or was this intentional? I don't remember seeing this before.

I think it's dirt/clutter and hopefully they will get in there and clean it eventually. It seems entirely enclosed now so again hopefully if they clean it it will also stay clean for a good length of time.

I hate to agree, but I agree. Once you're beneath the new roof, it seems so... diminutive. Almost constrained.

I still talk to people who take the train that still haven't noticed the new shed because they know/want to be at the back of train coming in from the west so they don't even get to see it. They are genuinely surprised when I tell them to take a look next time and they walk up to see it (or sit further east on the train intentionally)... that doesn't speak well for the "effect" of this project.

If you remember how dark and dingy the shed used to be before then you'll know just how dramatic the effect has been.

I personally see a huge difference and love it, but let's face it, I am among the rest of us here on these forums that clearly pay attention to these things and appreciate them.

That being said I worry once they close in the roof again on the majority of the shed it may seem less "dingy" as its been cleaned up but it won't be any less dark unless you pass under the glass atrium.

I believe it was asked but was it ever answered, what is the plan regarding the exhaust ports and/or any lighting under the roof to provide a better environment post renovation?

If you remember how dark and dingy the shed used to be before then you'll know just how dramatic the effect has been.

The shed was never dark. That was a fantasy of glass fetishists. Being dingy or not is a matter of cleaning, which, by the way, the glass roof seriously needs, as it already looks filthy and gross. I am thankful the foolish waste of money on this near invisible change was minimized.

I still talk to people who take the train that still haven't noticed the new shed because they know/want to be at the back of train coming in from the west so they don't even get to see it. They are genuinely surprised when I tell them to take a look next time and they walk up to see it (or sit further east on the train intentionally)... that doesn't speak well for the "effect" of this project.

Hilarious. I anticipated this, and posted that thought here about two years ago, noting there was almost no vantage point to see the roof,and no one spent time on the platform. Then a bunch of teenage UT posters from Durham and Peel circle-jerked all over each other to reply about how this was the bestest project everz and it would brighten peoples day and if you walked to Bremner Blvd and stood in the right spot and squinted you might maybe see it if it wasn't dark.

I am thankful the foolish waste of money on this near invisible change was minimized.

Last edited:
I am thankful the foolish waste of money on this near invisible change was minimized.

I don't know about you, but changing the materiality of a roof and raising it a hundred feet in the air is hardly "near invisible". As to foolish waste of money, wait till one find out how much it actually cost to restore the Bush shed to it's quasi-original condition. And since no one actually spend much time out there, perhaps they should have left the whole thing unsheltered - or better yet, uncovered as in its' current skeletal state. I am sure it wouldn't have made much of a difference.

AoD

Last edited:

Back