News   Apr 19, 2024
 98     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 461     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 801     3 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

Kitchener had 2 numbers. $1.5B for RER and something like $2.5B for the extension; if you want both you add them together.

$2.5B is a very high price for an extension that doesn't require much grade separation so I suspect it includes the CN only bypass. If it doesn't, then the $2.5B includes some of the HSR type upgrades in it.
I might also post this in the Missing Link string...but I pose a question: (based on good research and impending developments already underway elsewhere in Ontario)...say, a Chinese based venture capitalist proposed to finance and at least partly own the Missing Link? Would Ontario and the Hill embrace the measure, or recoil as a "foreign buy-in?" This isn't a trick question, but if that "buy-in" was a domestic fund(s), ostensibly through the Infrastructure Bank or Build Ontario, then we'd all be jumping for joy (and rightly so). But what if Cdn investors are too used to having everything their own way, and shirk the opportunity to invest in such a scheme? (This is happening already, won't go into details). But a Chinese org does?
Would you support it?

best example (IMO) is actually Weston......because of UP it has the highest level of off peak service in the network....but the station is closed a lot.

First Train to Pearson 05:44
Last train to Pearson 01:14
First Train to Union 05:38
Last Train to Union 01:08

Service Counter Hours
Mon to Fri
05:30 - 10:30
15:30 - 19:30
Access to station platforms is open however, station building will be closed outside listed hours.

I really don't see any point in keeping Go Train stations staffed for so much of the day. You can buy tickets from an automated machine, and soon you'll be able to refill Presto cards from one too. Unless there are going to be a lot of people using the station throughout the day who may be unfamiliar with Go Transit -- so basically just Union and Exhibition -- there's no reason to be staffing them outside of peak hours (and no reason to staff them in the afternoon peak for that matter).

I was at Rutherford GO Station today, and based on this discussion I popped by the station building to see if it was open. Normally I don't really pay attention since I just show up, tap my presto card and get on the train.

To my surprise, the station was open and there was even a station attendant there as well! The Barrie line has had weekend train service since the start of this year, and at some point they've added a new sticker to update the station hours.
RutherfordHoursS.JPG

The weekend station hours are now:
9:55 to 17:15.

For comparison the train service hours are:
10:10 - 20:54 Southbound to Union
11:55 - 23:17 Northbound to Aurora or Barrie

So it's not open for the full service hours, but it seems like a good balance between customer service and operating costs. The station is open (and presumably staffed) for the first 8 hours of service, but later in the evening people are likely on their way back from wherever they went in the morning, and therefore less likely to need assistance.

Attachments

• RutherfordHoursS.JPG
    RutherfordHoursS.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 292
Last edited:
IIRC its $1.5 for all day GO upgrades to the line (double tracking, speed upgrades, etc.) and $2.5 for the bypass.
I presume you mean Billions! I went looking for the latter figure a week or so ago, I'd seen (IIRC) an estimate of "$3B", can't find *any* exact figure now, at least with a cursory search, but references to: (gist) "as much as it would cost to do the infrastructure changes on the K-W line for all day service alone".

It's not a dollar figure, but a comparative one to put a perspective on it's 'affordability' in relative terms. In the event, you can double any projected cost figures for K-W improvements and/or the Missing Link. Even at that, the Missing Link still makes incredible sense.

I was at Rutherford GO Station today, and based on this discussion I popped by the station building to see if it was open. Normally I don't really pay attention since I just show up, tap my presto card and get on the train.

To my surprise, the station was open and there was even a station attendant there as well! The Barrie line has had weekend train service since the start of this year, and at some point they've added a new sticker to update the station hours.
View attachment 115169
The weekend station hours are now:
9:55 to 17:15.

For comparison the train service hours are:
10:10 - 20:54 Southbound to Union
11:55 - 23:17 Northbound to Aurora or Barrie

So it's not open for the full service hours, but it seems like a good balance between customer service and operating costs. The station is open (and presumably staffed) for the first 8 hours of service, but later in the evening people are likely on their way back from wherever they went in the morning, and therefore less likely to need assistance.
This is what I was getting at when I mentioned "consistency of approach". Someone needs to answer why this station's hours were extended as soon as off peak service was added but a station like Weston (with more off peak service than any in the network) still operates as it does over a year later.

Rutherford Station has better hours than West Harbour GO station -- A GO station in a more dense city.

I'm hoping they announce expansions to train service to Hamilton before election 2018. The underground parking at West Harbour GO isn't open just yet, while Aldershot GO is overflowing everyday (this year is the first year that Aldershot is consistently overflowing almost everyday).

Rutherford Station has better hours than West Harbour GO station -- A GO station in a more dense city.

I'm hoping they announce expansions to train service to Hamilton before election 2018. The underground parking at West Harbour GO isn't open just yet, while Aldershot GO is overflowing everyday (this year is the first year that Aldershot is consistently overflowing almost everyday).

Sorry, does West Harbour have weekend service? GO's schedule seems to indicate there is zero service there on weekends--is that incorrect? If that's indeed the case, then what exactly would the point be of keeping West Harbour open weekends, and paying people to staff it, with zero service?

On weekdays, West Harbour is open for a time period that covers the 2 morning peak departures from the station, Rutherford is open for a time period that covers its 7 morning peak departures. Again, why would West Harbour need to be kept open when there's no service departing from the station?

I agree with you that WH needs more service, for starters a stop on the Niagara train, but I don't see why it would need longer hours just because it's in a more dense city, without any service operating.

There is potentially weekend service.

The trains just go whoosh by due to a missing section of track that has been delayed two years.

www.raisethehammer.org/article/2720

Yes, I know, and I agree with you that it should have service. However, it doesn't, so what would the point be of paying a staff member to sit at the station on weekends to watch trains woosh by?

Well, as it stands, ML is paying a CN foreman to guard the "work" being done at Stuart St. I was down there today to see if there was any sign of progress on the extension from Bayview. I counted exactly two workers visible, apparently messing with the plant at Stuart. ML must pay a fortune in Foreman fees, since one is needed at all times during construction. And, these are prearranged assignments - so, if no work is planned for the day, the Foreman is there anyways, guarding the null. This is the sort of thing the A-G might have spotted if CN provided detailed invoices.

- Paul

So, I posed the question on twitter yesterday....using the Weston station as an example.......the reply seems to be that, despite charging GO fares and encouraging people to use the UP trains as GO replacement/equivalents, they do not consider this to be GO service and station hours are adjusted/set based solely on the level of GO train service...so the people using Weston off peak to use UP instead of GO and the people using the GO bus service at, say, Bramalea in numbers off peak do not warrant open station buildings, or personnel at stations.

At least we now know the criteria and explains why, for example, Rutherford got extended station hours so quickly when other, better served stations (like Weston) did not.

upload_2017-7-19_10-11-34.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-7-19_10-11-34.png
    upload_2017-7-19_10-11-34.png
    233.7 KB · Views: 260
July 20
Update: Richmond Hill Line Passengers: Water levels have receded and the tracks are now open. We will run regular service starting with the Union Station 17:00 - Gormley GO 18:01 train.

We thank you for your patience.

July 20
Update: Richmond Hill Line Passengers: Water levels have receded and the tracks are now open. We will run regular service starting with the Union Station 17:00 - Gormley GO 18:01 train.

We thank you for your patience.
I presume that the train detour was via the Barrie Line? Anne Marie Aikins claims it wasn't though.

I presume that the train detour was via the Barrie Line? Anne Marie Aikins claims it wasn't though.
It was plan to be the Barrie line with one train using that route. The 1700 train was the first to use it

Back