News   Apr 25, 2024
 228     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

Theres no machines to buy PRESTO at the UNION TTC station. I realize you can go to GO concourse but its like a huge trek through Union, and the kiosk that sells them in the Union TTC is closed on sundays.

What year are we living in again?

We're living in the year 2017, when Presto is not fully rolled out on the TTC. Once rollout is complete, there will be vending machines in every subway station to buy cards. Since rollout is not complete, those machines are not yet present. In late 2017 or in 2018, those machines will be deployed. Note that nobody is currently required to use Presto--metropasses and tokens are still available, as are cash fares.

If the line is entirely closed, the double tracking should progress faster on weekends because it doesn't have to be halted or compromised to account for passing trains.

There will be occasional weekend closures, from time to time (as there were during GTS) but I would be very surprised if all the double tracking work is left to weekends. For starters, all the weekend work is at premium rates in many union agreements. Second, that would progress the work much less speedily (2 days' production per week versus five). Third, the noise is probably better managed when many people are at work.

I give GO credit for its willingness to implement all day service during construction - that's certainly a more complicated thing to manage, both for operations and for construction - but I can't see the doubletracking halting all service on the line except for specific work tasks.

- Paul

If the line is entirely closed, the double tracking should progress faster on weekends because it doesn't have to be halted or compromised to account for passing trains.

Kind of like what is being done on the Barrie Line on weekends?

If they need a bigger working window - like when doing a level crossing replacement, or cutting in a new turnout or crossover - they'll run the service with buses for the weekend. Just like on the Barrie Line.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

That's not exactly a great schedule for AM commuters - there's a 58 minute gap in the middle of the AM rush, followed by a 66 minute gap.
That's a printing error, it as been reported elsewhere. Presumably it will be finalized before these schedules are announced, apparently sometime next week.

Kind of like what is being done on the Barrie Line on weekends?

If they need a bigger working window - like when doing a level crossing replacement, or cutting in a new turnout or crossover - they'll run the service with buses for the weekend. Just like on the Barrie Line.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.
As I said, Dan, this was my interpretation of why GO continues to avoid operating services on the Stouffville line at weekends, a line so pivotal to Toronto/GTA transit that it will be designated RER, so surely it can't be deemed lack of demand...

By next year at the latest, GO will cave on the Bramalea tail track. And have weekday service on the Barrie line.

I am not sure what caving is or looks like at Bramalea.....but, for once, I was not thinking about that specifically.....as others have pointed out there is likely no way Milton has off evening and weekends by 2020....also doubt Richmond Hill will.......and, yes, my doubt on the KWline grows with each day of silence.

I am not sure what caving is or looks like at Bramalea.....but, for once, I was not thinking about that specifically.....as others have pointed out there is likely no way Milton has off evening and weekends by 2020....also doubt Richmond Hill will.......and, yes, my doubt on the KWline grows with each day of silence.
Well, all the RER lines then.

News Release

All-day GO Train Service Coming to Stouffville GO Line
June 7, 2017

Ontario Adding More GO Train Trips to Help Commuters and Manage Congestion
Ontario is bringing new all-day GO train service to the Stouffville line to help manage congestion, provide more transit options and improve commutes for families in Scarborough and York Region.

Transportation Minister Steven Del Duca, Markham-Unionville MPP Michael Chan and Oak Ridges-Markham MPP Dr. Helena Jaczek visited Unionville GO Station today to announce the new trains.

Starting Monday, June 26, new train trips will run approximately every hour in both directions during the midday and evening periods, from Monday to Friday between Unionville GO Station and Union Station. In addition, there will be one new morning and late evening weekday train trip between Lincolnville GO Station and Union Station, and two existing train trips will be extended from Unionville GO Station to Lincolnville GO Station. In total, there will be 17 new train trips per weekday, doubling the total number of weekly train trips from 85 to170 along the Stouffville GO corridor.

Expanding service along the Stouffville GO corridor will support GO Regional Express Rail (RER). GO RER will provide faster and more frequent service across the GO network and is the largest commuter rail project in Canada.

Ontario is making the largest infrastructure investment in hospitals, schools, public transit, roads and bridges in the province's history. To learn more about what's happening in your community, go to Ontario.ca/Build ON.

Increasing public transit to improve people's commute is part of our plan to create jobs, grow our economy and help people in their everyday lives.

QUICK FACTS
  • The new GO train trips will also serve Kennedy, Agincourt, and Milliken GO Stations along the Stouffville GO corridor, which are not currently served by midday or evening GO Transit services.
  • By 2025, planned GO Train service on the Stouffville GO line under the GO RER program includes two-way service every 15 minutes or better between Union Station and Unionville, two-way service every 60 minutes or better between Union Station and Mt. Joy during the midday and evening periods of weekdays as well as on weekends, and peak-period, peak-direction service on weekdays, at frequencies of roughly every 20 minutes or better, between Union Station and Lincolnville. The entire line will also be electrified.

We're living in the year 2017, when Presto is not fully rolled out on the TTC.
Actually... Doesn't the TTC metropass machines vend Presto cards nowadays?

I thought the Union machine was already upgraded to also vend the Presto cards. There's a TTC metropass vending machine at TTC Union next to the two Presto add-value machines.

Actually... Doesn't the TTC metropass machines vend Presto cards nowadays?

I thought the Union machine was already upgraded to also vend the Presto cards. There's a TTC metropass vending machine at TTC Union next to the two Presto add-value machines.

There was a pilot project that did exactly that at Union and Queen's Park, but for some reason the TTC terminated it a few months ago, after running successfully for a year or two. No idea why they stopped.

I understand they're planning on replacing all of those with new Presto vending machines, but surely it can't be difficult or remotely costly to outfit all of them with Presto cards for now? You open them up, yank one of the stacks of metropasses, slide in a stack of Presto cards, run a software update, slap a Presto sticker on the front, and you're golden.

Back