News   Apr 24, 2024
 26     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 413     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 2.8K     7 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

Hmmm... What about the York U shuttle service moving to Downsview Park, Rutherford or... to a New station at Hwy 7?
What surprised me in the article was York's willingness/desire to keep the shuttle going.......one of the advantages of shutting down the York GO to them would have been to shut down this thing that is costing them money (how much I don't know) and if there was any backlash just blame ML/GO....but they seem to be actively trying to maintain it....strange.

I don't view transferring to the subway as a disaster. It's going to be a fully accessible transfer with elevators & escalators. The trip would be a bit longer and more expensive under the current fare structure adding $30/week (5 days two ways) for TTC. Unless something changes on that front.

That station could be poised to be a boon to the area. Lots of industrial development around. But would TTC serve all day trains in the area as local service would be needed for last mile trips to places of work? For one train service? Or would TTC continue to just connect to the subway at various stops? It wouldn't make sense to keep that stop otherwise. It's been decades since Barrie trains started running and there has been little put in to making this stop any more viable. How much more development can go in there, as industry-laden as that area is now? Outside of cost, a transfer to the subway or other TTC services at Downsview Park actually makes by far the most sense. I thought ML had actually decided to shut it down once the subway goes online.

The trip would be a bit longer ...

I'm not convinced of that. York U runs a single shuttle per train which waits plenty of time for all passengers, even the really slow ones, to walk the entire GO platform and make their way to the bus. It may only be a 5 minute drive but there's regularly a 5 minute wait too. A couple of subway trains will leave Downsview heading north during that waiting period.

Despite the longer distance, it's possible the extra 3 minutes to GO Downsview + 7 minutes back to York U subway station (wait + travel) will be on par with the shuttle and maybe faster for a quick walker; and I bet it feels a lot faster (vehicles moving versus stopped waiting) to those not watching the clock.

I'd expect the first cold winter month with both options available, most ridership would shift to Downsview on it's own.

Last edited:
Best thing for this station is to relocate it to either Steeles or Finch Ave to allow better connection with local transit and offer another fast way to the city core for everyone.

Closing the station and moving it to Downsview Park will add a extra fare for York riders as well 6-15 extra travel time. If York, TTC & ML can work something out, then there is no extra cost to York riders, other than time.

Again, this could have been a Tory SmartTrack Line by adding more stations to it with a different GO Service servicing them, even going into the 905. Only need short trains for this service.

Try walking to local transit from the current station and its not fun anytime, especially the winter months.

What surprised me in the article was York's willingness/desire to keep the shuttle going.......one of the advantages of shutting down the York GO to them would have been to shut down this thing that is costing them money (how much I don't know) and if there was any backlash just blame ML/GO....but they seem to be actively trying to maintain it....strange.

I'm not sure why they are portraying it as that. The current thought-process by the powers-that-be seem to be leaning towards GO customers getting a free transfer and trip at Downsview Park Station if they are heading to York U.

Perhaps they are keeping their hands close to their chest, so that they can come out publicly with a "Look at what we're going to be doing for you!!1!" announcement closer to the opening of the line.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

20 minutes extra travel time? are they nuts? It's a 4-minute ride on the subway from Downsview Park to York U.. say 3 minutes to transfer, 4 on the subway, that's a whopping 2 minutes longer than the apparent 5-minute shuttle today. If you can have an integrated fare, the impact would be minimal at worst.

Yes, let's add about 3 minutes each way, 6 minutes per day, if not more, to the trips of thousands of people taking the Barrie line because 1 person would be slightly inconvenienced otherwise. Let's also throw away tons of desperately needed money for the annual costs of maintaining a whole extra GO station--and the substantial costs of adding a second platform+tunnels to it in advance of RER. Let's do all of that despite the fact that a nice new station, with two platforms, fully accessible, integrated with the subway, etc. is being built just to the south and will result in a trip to York at no extra cost to the passenger and minimal, if any, added travel time.

20 minutes extra travel time? are they nuts? It's a 4-minute ride on the subway from Downsview Park to York U.. say 3 minutes to transfer, 4 on the subway, that's a whopping 2 minutes longer than the apparent 5-minute shuttle today. If you can have an integrated fare, the impact would be minimal at worst.
Where is the travel time for GO from current location??

Time on GO to Downsview + time to platform + wait for subway + subway travel time + platform to grade = travel time vs. Bus ride from current station to York = more than extra 2 minutes.

The station need to be relocated regardless adding more time to current rider when it will open up an unused market and put more riders on the train. Thats why there is such a thing call local & express service.

Last edited:
Time on GO to Downsview + time to platform + wait for subway + subway travel time + platform to grade = travel time vs. Bus ride from current station to York = more than extra 2 minutes.
No it isn't, because you forgot about the long walk from the GO Platform to were the bus parks. And how long the bus sits there before it leaves, after the train arrives (at least whenever I've taken it).

So I think we can all agree that the effects of closing the current York U stop can be mitigated more or less with the opening of Downsview Park and the York subway extension. Therefore, this seeming concern and panic is unwarranted.

How about a new stop at Hwy 7 intersecting the new Viva busway? As it stands, ML seems to be ok with forgoing two major connections between Go RER and Viva BRT, at HWY 7 & at Newmarket Go.

Last edited:
How about a new stop at Hwy 7 intersecting the new Viva busway? As it stands, ML seems to be ok with forgoing two major connections between Go RER and Viva BRT, at HWY 7 & at Newmarket Go.
There's been plans for the Concord GO station for a while - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barrie_line#Concord_Station

https://www.vaughan.ca/projects/pol...d_go_centre_secondary_plan/Pages/default.aspx

There was even an article at Urban Toronto - http://urbantoronto.ca/news/2013/11/concord-go-station-would-trigger-urbanization-vaughan

Back