News   Apr 19, 2024
 795     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 650     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1K     3 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

The more I use UP express on evenings and weekends, the more I think the best interim (ie. build ridership type) evening and weekend service for the KW line would be to put together one or two of the smallest consists that GO can and simply run as frequent a service as they can between Weston and Bramalea (or further west if possible) and match the arrivals at Weston as close as they can to the UP service and have people transfer to UP trains at Weston.

Do that until ridership builds to the point the UP capacity is stretched and then consider running those GO trains all the way to Union. If it never builds, then you have a decent service that gives those that want it regular and frequent trains with a small transfer.

Excellent digging!

And a very well written judgement. Ironically, Metrolinx did win in the bigger picture, if not in detail. (Edit to Add: I can certainly see why Metrolinx appealed this decision, and I presume that's now to the I had presumed the easement was for a rail spur, not vehicular and pedestrian access. It still remains to be seen what becomes of the land, Metrolinx alone under the Metrolinx Act have powerful means of expropriation. Other Acts convey even more power.

This is telling: (bold emphasis mine)
[11] It is not disputed that Metrolinx requires and conducts inspections and maintenance of its tracks, ties, switches and signals opposite the Remicorp property at least twice per week. The future needs of Metrolinx in the area appear to be increasing with evidence Willowbrook services not only GO trains but the Union-Pearson Express and the future will require rehabilitation and/or replacement of the Royal York Road overpass.

[12] Remicorp has erected structures on its property without proper or prior approval, that is the necessary permits, two of which are on the existing Access Easement. It is seeking to regularize its structures with appeals to the appropriate administrative boards and/or tribunals with decisions pending this decision.

[13] The parties have also had unsuccessful discussions about the sale of the Remicorp property to Metrolinx with the outcome of this application likely to impact the value of the property.

Metrolinx obviously, contrary to recent statements, want the land, and will do what is necessary to gain it. I believe under the federal Transportation Act, let alone provincial powers, the power to regain what was once railway land is expedited, and the City would have no power to intervene, even on planning and zoning.

Edit to Clarify: [even on planning and zoning.] There are stipulations in the Transportation Act as to the conduct of the railway using land it has acquired and working with local jurisdictions and neighbours to ameliorate any legitimate concerns, but that is federally regulated, the City could only 'suggest' terms of usage, and appeal to the Federal Trans Minister or federal boards if they had legitimate concerns.

What remains bizarre is the City's approval of housing on the adjacent land on Judson, contrary to their own planning and legal departments' advice.

Last edited:
The more I use UP express on evenings and weekends, the more I think the best interim (ie. build ridership type) evening and weekend service for the KW line would be to put together one or two of the smallest consists that GO can and simply run as frequent a service as they can between Weston and Bramalea (or further west if possible) and match the arrivals at Weston as close as they can to the UP service

I don't disagree that this is feasible and may be better than nothing, but it's no substitute for some obvious and not expensive shovel-in-the-ground enhancements to build the through capacity.

Getting on with the fourth track is critical. The long lead time parts of this are the Dufferin-Queen bridge (in progress), the Bloor and Weston platforms, and a new station at Etobicoke north with a more bus-transfer-friendly layout. More of this could be started right away.

As a west-ender, I have found new uses for both GO and UP lately, but it's funny how it takes an 'aha' moment before one unlearns the old way of getting there. This week, we took in a ball game and were trudging back to Union to get on the subway (along with 40,000 other sweaty Jays fans) when I realised we were walking right by the UP platform - with train in station. Turned right, pulled out our Presto cards, rode UP to Bloor, and got on the subway at Dundas West. Train was standing room only, but less so than the subway - and the AC worked. Yes, it was added expense - but compared to the cost of a single beer at Skydome, quite affordable. We weren't the only ones doing this. Would never have thought of it if I hadn't been right there.

- Paul

Last edited:
I took the UPX for the first time the other day coming back from the airport, got off at Dundas West. Really quite affordable, and I ultimately got home in Midtown in about 40 minutes. Such a trip on public transit to/from the airport was inconceivable to me before. It really was not significantly worse than my usual subway commute to class.

I look forward to having Weston Station be relocated to Mt Dennis after the Crosstown opens. A sub-30 minute commute to the airport seems possible. I am sure the transfer would be much better done than Dundas West as well.

I don't disagree that this is feasible and may be better than nothing, but it's no substitute for some obvious and not expensive shovel-in-the-ground enhancements to build the through capacity.

not suggesting there are not things to be done...and things that can be done......but, in thee meantime, we are sitting there on weekends and week nights with trains parked and track we own (to Bramalea at least) and still with capacity on the UP that runs every 15 minutes......I just think while we do those things we can be building ridership with small trains shuttling between Bramalea and Weston to meet up with those UP trains and taking cars of the road as we build ridership.

Bombardier gets $428 million order for GO Transit rail cars built in Ontario

GO is ordering 125 more bi-levels. Honestly, why? When are they going to make a decision on their new fleet, I thought they were going with EMUs over electric locomotives pushing bi-levels?

Yeah that's what I was thinking. Why are they purchasing more of these?

it may be a price driven decision (I have no knowledge but just guessing from what is written there)....this is not a new purchase but, rather a conversion of an option from a previous order to a firm order...that would mean the price would have been negotiated when the initial order was made and at $3.4 million a car they may have said "what other option can we look at that gives us a rail car at $27,360 per seat (not counting standing room)?".

has anyone gotten a chance to ride the new AD DD? werent they supposed to be in service last week?

alexander dennis double deckers

I saw one driving to Guelph on Sunday, on the Regional Road 25 overpass at the 401, so it was either on the 25 or 29 route. The curvature at the front of the upper deck is a giveaway.

I too am curious to get a first-hand account. Current DDs are pretty tight for headroom on the upper deck as is, I've whacked my head really good half a dozen times.

Wouldn't be surprised if GO starts to retire their original bi-levels anyway, they are approaching 50 years old now.

As for why they are purchasing more, GO will continue to use electric locomotive 12 car trains for its rush hour services after RER. EMUs will operate only some peak services and the off peak services.

Also, there are a lot of deisel services that will still be operating post RER. Richmond Hill, Niagara, Kitchener, Milton, etc.

My understanding is that the AD DDs cut headroom from the ground level, the second level has the same ceiling height.

it may be a price driven decision (I have no knowledge but just guessing from what is written there)....this is not a new purchase but, rather a conversion of an option from a previous order to a firm order...that would mean the price would have been negotiated when the initial order was made and at $3.4 million a car they may have said "what other option can we look at that gives us a rail car at $27,360 per seat (not counting standing room)?".

It will be many years before electrification and EMUs. Many commutes to be made and bums to be seated. Look at LSW right now. The service promises are x minutes or better. 'Or Better' will require more seats. Or we will be squashed in like peas.

Back