News   Apr 23, 2024
 244     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 777     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 458     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

York Region is supposed to widen that stretch of Keele north of Steeles to 6 lanes in the next few years from my understanding.

Theoretically, in a true Paris style RER plan, what is wrong with a station 3km away? We can have 10 different express-allstop plans along this corridor, just like Paris RER. Once we resignal out the wazoo, eliminate all the level crossings in the electric segments, and introduce precision scheduling... Then we can transit-orient several new/existing stations while keeping others park-n-ride (for now).

Metrolinx and all politicians needs to further change their mindset about infill stations.

I think one of us transit advocates need to publish a RER advocacy educating about how a true RER system works, it is not about monolithic "routes" anymore, FedEx all the councillors full color printouts of this education.

Honestly, the whole electric GO network is mergeable into a mere two RER-B style services to very, very, very massively increase train frequency in existing corridor widths (including making 5 minute possible without an underground Union/GO tunnel yet - not referring to DRL)

I am not necessarily saying this is what should happen, but treating GO/RER/SmartTrack/UPX as monolithic services is an outdated mindset under the Mother-Of-All-RER rules (Paris). One or two or more of the above should just be rolled into GO RER, labels can be kept but it would be Simply one of many stopping plans under the same identical service.

It is patently ridiculous how inefficient-per-track our GO network still is, compared to gold benchmarks like Sydney, Japan, France (or even TTC subway), and if we are spending 13 billion plus, we need to make the network compatible with this possible ultrahighfrequency flexibility based on the Mother Of All RERs (Paris) by making all necessary surface modifications that are creating schedule bottlenecks.

I am merely saying, if we spend 13+ billion on electrifying, let make sure it is compatible with 5 minutes frequency each on two merged routes serving the whole electric Metrolinx network (including all spurs) in the existing allocated corridors.

Last edited:
Metrolinx Board presentation on Station Analysis, specifically focused on how people are getting to the stations.

http://www.metrolinx.com/en/docs/pdf/board_agenda/20160210/20160210_BoardMtg_Station_Analysis_EN.pdf

I think there's a lot of low-hanging fruit with regards to increasing pedestrian access to stations. I've only really ever walked to Burlington station, but I know that coming from anywhere north of the QEW it's a pain. There are no crossings at all between Brant St and Guelph Line. I've thought there may be an opportunity to build some kind of protected path adjacent to the CN tracks that go under the QEW about 600m east of Brant. That would basically provide a direct link to the GO station from the north.

Also, a connection from Brant on the south side that doesn't involve walking all the way to Fairview and then back up through the parking lot. I know Walmart may not like that, but it would make it a lot easier for a lot of people. Hopefully the new condos being built there will provide that connection.

Looks like GO Trains to Niagara Falls might be happening, and soon. It also backs up an earlier claim in this thread that crews are being trained for a St. Catharines service.

Niagara smashes through barriers to GO rail expansion
http://www.niagarathisweek.com/news...mashes-through-barriers-to-go-rail-expansion/

...Regional Chair Alan Caslin said that (an announcement) could happen no later than June, with the province — which has pledged billions of dollars for transportation infrastructure improvements — expected to soon announce the next phase of GO rail projects in this province...

...But after lengthy negotiations, Robinson said the Seaway Authority has agreed to four dedicated daily canal crossing times for GO trains. In total, the GO plan calls for seven trains going each way from St. Catharines to the new Hamilton GO station, with a hookup to the main Lakeshore West line from Burlington to Toronto...

http://www.niagarathisweek.com/news...mashes-through-barriers-to-go-rail-expansion/
[snip]
...But after lengthy negotiations, Robinson said the Seaway Authority has agreed to four dedicated daily canal crossing times for GO trains. In total, the GO plan calls for seven trains going each way from St. Catharines to the new Hamilton GO station, with a hookup to the main Lakeshore West line from Burlington to Toronto...
Thanks for the heads up!

This includes West Harbour GO stop --
Nearly in line with my predictions in an article I wrote for a major Hamilton blog:
GO Part 2: Weekend All-Day GO Trains Possible In Hamilton 2016.

Looks like GO Trains to Niagara Falls might be happening, and soon. It also backs up an earlier claim in this thread that crews are being trained for a St. Catharines service.

...Regional Chair Alan Caslin said that (an announcement) could happen no later than June, with the province — which has pledged billions of dollars for transportation infrastructure improvements — expected to soon announce the next phase of GO rail projects in this province...

What a huge accomplishment. The Welland Canal was a huge barrier, I never thought I'd see GO service to Niagara because of that $1 billion grade separation. Much credit to that team that snatched an agreement.

Very interesting news! It should also be interesting to see, after the announcement of the service is made (hopefully), whether or not any infill station announcements will follow. I'm thinking specifically in Grimsby and at Gage.

Dedicated crossing times is interesting. Does VIA/Amtrak have such an arrangement, at least eastbound?

Very interesting news! It should also be interesting to see, after the announcement of the service is made (hopefully), whether or not any infill station announcements will follow. I'm thinking specifically in Grimsby and at Gage.

The Confederation stop was already announced as part of LRT announcements in Hamilton. The EA recommended a Grimsby stop (Casablanca Road) as part of a first phase. Future stations were recommended at Fifty Road and Beamsville.

VEzCw0V.png

The Confederation stop was already announced as part of LRT announcements in Hamilton. The EA recommended a Grimsby stop (Casablanca Road) as part of a first phase. Future stations were recommended at Fifty Road and Beamsville.

Thanks for that. I was aware of the Confederation station, as it's currently under construction. The station at Casablanca I hadn't heard of, but it's certainly warranted. Unfortunate that there's no mention of an infill station in Hamilton though. Gage would be a good location, considering it's roughly equidistant between West Harbour and Confederation, would serve as a key station for East Hamilton, and would provide easy access to events at Tim Hortons Field. Basically, it would be Hamilton's equivalent of Exhibition.

Some explosive news at the Metrolinx board making it onto Twitter right now. A presenter just stated that GO will replace its whole fleet with EMUs.
Are you sure it will replace the whole fleet? Perhaps better to have a mix of current (modified) fleet and EMUs?

Thanks for that. I was aware of the Confederation station, as it's currently under construction. The station at Casablanca I hadn't heard of, but it's certainly warranted. Unfortunate that there's no mention of an infill station in Hamilton though. Gage would be a good location, considering it's roughly equidistant between West Harbour and Confederation, would serve as a key station for East Hamilton, and would provide easy access to events at Tim Hortons Field. Basically, it would be Hamilton's equivalent of Exhibition.

I'd like to see a station behind the big-box complex where Centre Mall used to be. The property represents a great opportunity for redevelopment; in the short term, there's room for GO parking. It'd line up with the "T" (the Mohawk bus route) in Hamilton's BLAST network.

The Confederation stop was already announced as part of LRT announcements in Hamilton. The EA recommended a Grimsby stop (Casablanca Road) as part of a first phase.

Why would they recommend a station at Casablanca that's in the middle of nowhere, when there's an existing VIA station in the centre of Grimsby?

Screen shot 2016-02-10 at 11.46.10 AM.png

Attachments

• Screen shot 2016-02-10 at 11.46.10 AM.png
    Screen shot 2016-02-10 at 11.46.10 AM.png
    165 KB · Views: 518

Back