News   Apr 25, 2024
 56     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

Analytical people like me, are often necessarily super-wordy (example work --www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html -- a large, dry-looking Internet specification document that's one of my creations -- formatting worthy of an ISO or FCC government document). The above document has been peer-reviewed and vetted by over 50 people, including people at Microsoft and Cisco. My wordiness comes with my territory (to a fault, sometimes). So on that note, I have good document analysis skills, see? That's no longer a subject of dispute, I hope. Doesn't mean I'm correct in 100% of my predictions, but I would succeed far better than the average individual.

I do recall some of our past disagreements is in respects to EMUs and train performances.

Some of the things I've said about EMUs were certainly inaccurate, after I learned more afterwards.

But I do recall that one thing you said was EMUs won't bring faster GOtrain journey times or tighter headways. That I still disagree.

EMU's will put a general average corporate pressure to create more-aggressive timetables. We can nitpick over the detail whether EMUs will bring faster timetables or not, but if it happens like at other companies, eventually management *could* provide GOtrain drivers a more aggressive timetable if corporate boardroom notices reliability % hits targets better with EMUs, enough drivers report that they're being more conservative than usual, more drivers eager to push safer-feeling trains harder on a well-upgraded rail network, etc. Those trends do show up during fleet tracking at the head office, and often analyzed by the best transportation/transit companies.

Drivers fall into new habits (like accelerating at say, 75% throttle from specific stations, with a different kind of nicer-performing trainset) and new driver habits even shows up in GPS tracking data at the back office! Same for when it appears a trend of drivers feels safer with a new type of vehicle or network (e.g. more safety features, extra infrastructure, reduced congestion) and more comfortable pushing a specific timetable's limits; a trend appears among all the drivers, some drivers appear to work-to-rule, some drivers appears to be more punctual, how frequently speed limits are being reached or not, more drivers speeding up on an improved network, etc.

Whether it's a fleet of taxis, a fleet of military vehicles, a fleet of cargo planes, or a fleet of trains.

There's actual data that EMUs do indeed, in fact, perform better in many transit networks. So on that note, not everything I said about EMUs are 100% all wrong --

Assuming the network is well maintained and upgraded, EMUs, on average, do perform better timetable-wise and do provide a route to more aggressive timetables, sometimes imposed upon drivers by the management, because they see reliability going up. It's just the way the cookie crumbles -- even though I am not a manager & am not involved in those specific decisions, some of which I don't necessarily agree with.

Perhaps operations-wise, I don't know everything about train driver's knowledge about the performance of their particular trains, but I have an understanding of what I see a fleet of drivers (of any vehicle) are doing, what's trending over days, weeks, years. With a series of moving dots on a mega-sized map, 3D bar graphs for a whole day/month/year, or it's a scatter-plot graph, or visualizing data into a graph (I've also worked on stock trading apps too), and running data analysis to mine details out of that sort of data too. As a software app developer with GPS/mapping/tracking experience. I also have an appreciation of all the complex programming that goes into an traffic control room, and how some of them become disasters, with lots of harebrained problems, while others become really good efficient with superb Japanese-style fleet management par excellence. There's a lot of really interesting learning that occurs on the 'other side' even among people who's never been in the driver's seat. Yes, decision mistakes can occur at the corporate level which the field staff hates, driver's complaints go unheeded, etc.

smallspy -- we can agree to disagree on some details, but I will be glad to continue to be corrected on various specific details, without retracting the whole general message, of which other details are still true.

Certainly, not everyone likes my posting style, but I still provide valuable content that some people like (even if not necessarily to you).

Last edited:
Analytical people like me, are often necessarily super-wordy ... (rest of droning deleted)
Super-wordy? I suppose that's one word for it.

Now that you have self-identified your problem; can you fix it? It dosn't come across as analytical. It comes across as full of it.

Now that you have self-identified your problem; can you fix it?
Nah. ;)

Pros versus cons. Some people like my style, and it serves me well career-wise. Some mitigation is done where required (e.g. from excessively long to merely moderately/super long).

Last edited:
But I do recall that one thing you said was EMUs won't bring faster GOtrain journey times or tighter headways. That I still disagree.

I challenge you to site a post where I have said that.

Because spoiler alert: it doesn't exist. I've never said that. What I have said - repeatedly - is that there is not nearly as much of a difference between the two types of power source (diesel and electric) than you love to go on about.

As to the rest of your post....whatever. It's not worth the effort to try and digest it.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Because spoiler alert: it doesn't exist. I've never said that. What I have said - repeatedly - is that there is not nearly as much of a difference between the two types of power source (diesel and electric) than you love to go on about.

As to the rest of your post....whatever. It's not worth the effort to try and digest it.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.
Since you love rudely correcting everyone so much, it's cite.

The schedules do not indicate Niagara trains will stop at West Harbour.

Is that a schedule error (or missing update), a limitation due to track constraints or service times, or is there simply not sufficient anticipated demand?

There are two separate posts I clearly remember the quote, but now I wonder if I misattributed to your nick -- I will need to do a bit of manual searching later today -- if it isn't your nick, I'll have to apologize. Till then...

The schedules do not indicate Niagara trains will stop at West Harbour.

Is that a schedule error (or missing update), a limitation due to track constraints or service times, or is there simply not sufficient anticipated demand?
It's not a schedule error.

It's because the GO station is a stub at the moment. No track under the underpass yet!

image-jpg.49648

Extending this track sub through the James underpass is a pre-requisite is necessary for Hamilton to be a stop on the Niagara service. There will be at least a crossover back to the mainline. This is already funded as a later phase of the West Harbor GO project, when the Lewis layover yard opens. They need to bring trains parked overnight at Lewis (near Stoney Creek), into West Harbour.

Once this is done, there's nothing stopping Metrolinx from adding Hamilton to the Niagara itinerary. It's a no-brainer to give Hamilton summertime 2-way all-day weekend service, as a cheap add-on. I guesstimate 2016 or 2017. The reason I say this is because the Lewis layover yard becomes operational ~2016 -- this requires West Harbour to become a through-station rather than a stub-station.

Also, the Stoney Creek GO $150 million dollars funds the parallel track that goes under that underpass all the way to Stoney Creek. So West Harbour is guaranteed to become a through-service GO station for passenger service too, not just for deadheading service to the Lewis layover.

The fact that Lewis is not operational yet, is a huge reason why we only get 2 morning trains. Once Lewis is fully operational, we'll see extra trains added to Hamilton -- a minimum of 4 morning trains since that's the number of initial parking tracks at Lewis.

Trains are not permitted by CN to stop on the through freight line to the left -- it would be tantamount to stopping a car in the middle of a highway. The platform is designed to only service the track to the south.

Last edited:
But they still need another track for all day service to toronto right mdrejhon ?
Some Metrolinx documents mention an EA for more trackage between Aldershot and Hamilton (West Harbor or Downtown), which is presumably to reliably permit 2-way all-day operations with less contention with freight. Separately, in another document I quoted sometime ago, is that all-day service required extra track past Aldershot. Publicly, they announced a 10 year goal for hourly AD2W. Presumably, they want to do this within ten years, since that's the goal they set forth for all-day hourly service, and hourly is probably manageable on CN ownership.

That's how I connect the dots.

Not sure where funding would come from, but one possible source is the $150M Stoney Creek GO station budget ($35M station, $115M infrastructure) carries some of the infrastructure improvements. However, I interpret it as some of it the parallel trackage between West Harbor and Stoney Creek.

Trains are not permitted by CN to stop on the through freight line to the left -- it would be tantamount to stopping a car in the middle of a highway. The platform is designed to only service the track to the south.
Do existing VIA and GO services to Niagara not stop at platforms on the mainline?

Incorrect. See CROR rule 107.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Back