Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

Increases on the KW line is GO infrastructure... People advocating for DRL West here is advocating for TTC infrastructure... UPX is Business infrastructure which I think many question the need of.

seems like a much better way to spend money than Eglinton West Smarttrack... Convert UPX and extend the Eglinton LRT to the airport seems fairly obvious.
Extending Eglinton LRT to the airport seems obvious (though the projected ridership is so low, it's hard to justify - which makes the converting it to heavy rail even more bizarre).

But I don't see how converting UPX does anything. Why not just continue with the current plan, and build the RER alongside UPX. I don't see that there's no significant cost savings to be had by converting the UPX, rather than proceeding with the current plan.

I am skeptical of the "no room" argument. It seems like almost anything can be done with enough money being thrown at it. Im not supporting wasting money but the unfortunate truth is that the UPX is taking up precious rail space in a city that needs more transit.
Well look at the schematics and the location and tell us what you'd do. Don't just say "someone out there has the money and the smarts to do it" when what's actually required is a magic wand and magic beans. That just leads discussion down useless rabbit holes.

Well all maps that I ever saw, showed DRL running from the east at Danforth and Pape down to union and back up west, hitting Dundas St west. So how is the suggestion that the UPX bec0me the DRL western portion not make sense? It makes sense to me. At this point it can even hit the LRT at Eglinton and Weston Road. And just because the "most important part of the DRL is in the east" (except to those who live in the west), the fact is the western portion aka the UPX has been built and should be the part of the DRL

Makes sense? Does the the TTC running trains at 15 minutes frequency? Does the TTC use diesel trains like the ones used for UP Express?

They are just making noise. Most DRL plans have showed the part from running Pape to Danforth being built first and not West section? Also most plans show the DRL running under a street like King or even Wellington and not going to Union station like the UP Express. These noisemakers are muddying the debate by making it seem like we can just simply convert the UP Express into the DRL West when it would cost billions to do so. They should go sit somewhere. Enough of these noisemakers.

Even if converting it would cost billions it would be the cheapest way to make a western drl especially at the length to the airport.

The trains can be sold and replaced with more traditional electric trains... the c train in Calgary run at 15 Min frequencies. We don't know what you drl frequencies will be.

Today, I just saw triple berthing of passenger trains for the first time at Union.

Two VIA trains (one actively boarding) and UPX (one actively boarding)

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

I wasn't aware they were allowed to triple-berth on the same track.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 657
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 664
That is surprising, given that was the track where two GO trains collided in '97.

It looks like from the picture they've added a few more signals along Platform 3. Would that assist with triple berthing? Was this a one-off thing or will it become a regular occurrence?

It looks like from the picture they've added a few more signals along Platform 3. Would that assist with triple berthing? Was this a one-off thing or will it become a regular occurrence?
I'm surprised VIA is using platform 3. They always seem to be pretty persnickety about people not travelling staying off the platform - and isn't that platform the accessible indoor walkway to the GO Bus terminal?

I'm surprised VIA is using platform 3. They always seem to be pretty persnickety about people not travelling staying off the platform - and isn't that platform the accessible indoor walkway to the GO Bus terminal?

Indeed, platform 3 is NOT a fare paid zone for any service, and anybody is allowed to use it as an accessible walkway for the GO Bus terminal, york concourse, and UPX station (which now even has signage on platform 3 pointing to it).

I've never been hassled by VIA staff even with a train boarding and passengers coming through; the most that has happened is they've asked me if I'm travelling with them (in case I'm lost/looking for my car, I presume), then I answer no, and we both carry on.

I've never been hassled by VIA staff even with a train boarding and passengers coming through; the most that has happened is they've asked me if I'm travelling with them (in case I'm lost/looking for my car, I presume), then I answer no, and we both carry on.
3 or 4 years ago, I was seeing off my family on VIA, and after leaving them at in the VIA concourse as they entered the fair-paid zone, I then went up one of the GO elevators to the adjacent platform, and waved to them from about 15 feet away. Getting several dirty looks from VIA staff.

Perhaps they've mellowed.

Also remember one of the usual tracks VIA uses at the south end is closed off for construction - I think it's Track 11 so it would make sense that VIA would pick up the platform capacity on Platform 3 to offset the closure.

Back