Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

The claim that UP Express ridership will go up to 5000/day is BS. Clearly the UP Express has been a failure with half the projected ridership. This is not very surprising given how high UP Express fares are. I think that very few people are willing to pay such high prices to go to the airport when the TTC 192 is much cheaper, when Metrolinx is competing with itself by offering the 34 from North York Centre and the 40 from Hamilton, Square One and Richmond Hill Centre, and when taking a taxi/Uber is often cheaper if you are with more than 1 person. It is much cheaper per km to drive on the 407 than take the UP Express, and everyone thinks that 407 tolls are too high.

Also I am amused that only 5000 people total (total in 3 months of operation, not per day) have bought tickets through partners like VIA Rail and Air Canada.

Metrolinx is going to have to cut fares to prevent the UP Express from being an embarrassment that hurts its reputation. In the long term, the UP Express may be replaced by SmartTrack.

I've said it before, but they should charge GO fares from Bloor/Weston to Union to fill some seats and build ridership towards an eventual RER/SmartTrack/whatever service.

Also, I don't think anyone has a clue what the price elasticity really looks like for a Union-Pearson trip. It would be interesting if they ran a discounted fare for a couple weeks, say $10 one-way, and see what that does for ridership. Could do it around the Christmas travel season and put some positive spin on the service.

I've said it before, but they should charge GO fares from Bloor/Weston to Union to fill some seats and build ridership towards an eventual RER/SmartTrack/whatever service.

Also, I don't think anyone has a clue what the price elasticity really looks like for a Union-Pearson trip. It would be interesting if they ran a discounted fare for a couple weeks, say $10 one-way, and see what that does for ridership. Could do it around the Christmas travel season and put some positive spin on the service.

My guess is if Metrolinx charged fares as low as GO for intermediate stops then the trains would be overcrowded, since they have a low capacity. But Metrolinx definitely ought to look into lowering the fares, but still charging higher than GO. Maybe Metrolinx could offer a 50% discount during low demand times (outside afternoon rush hour when demand is the highest).

C'mon drum, nothing is impossible! Except half decent transit planning.
Based on my experience at both locations, getting both UPX in the same shot will be rare and only if there problems on the line. Schedule is 5-9 minutes at Bloor today.

When all day service is on line with 15 minute service or less is when you may get the east-west meet as requested. Otherwise a crap shot trying to do it now and wasting your time.

The UP Express gets delayed frequently. The one time I rode it for fun, it was delayed for a few minutes by a freight train near Woodbine Racetrack.

Given how few people are using the UP Express, it makes Target Canada look extremely successful in comparison.

Given how few people are using the UP Express, it makes Target Canada look extremely successful in comparison.
I think you are misinformed. Metrolinx reported yesterday they've already achieved 50% of the capcity they expect to get after the first year. Presumably once they get September numbers reflecting business returning more to usual, it will somewhat higher.

I watched one pulling out of Union at about 2:15 pm today - had a good chance to look at it, as we went past it in a GO Train, and a minute or two later, it went past us. I was surprised how full it looked! Could see passengers through most of the windows.

Last edited:
I think you are misinformed. Metrolinx reported yesterday they've already achieved 50% of the capcity they expect to get after the first year. Presumably once they get September numbers reflecting business returning more to usual, it will somewhat higher.

I watched one pulling out of Union at about 2:15 pm today - had a good chance to look at it, as we went past it in a GO Train, and a minute or two later, it went past us. I was surprised how full it looked! Could see passengers through most of the windows.

The UP Express is moderately well used in the afternoon (I counted about 30 people getting off at Union on a Sunday afternoon a few weeks ago), but the rest of the time there tend to be more employees than customers.

Similarly, week I rode the 18:45 Barrie line train from Union last week and the 18:45 UP Express that ran side-by-side with us until Dundas was fairly full.

However I'm a bit disappointed with the speeds and capacity resulting from the project. I took the evening Via train from Kitchener yesterday and it spent nearly the entire GTS at 72 mph (116 km/h) even though the limit was supposed to be 80 - 90 mph (129 - 145 mph) and the train was 20 minutes late. It actually sped up to 75 mph (121 km/h) going into the Weston tunnel whereas the 75 mph speed limit there is a slow zone compared to the surroundings.

But the annoying part was that we got held for 10 minutes at Liberty Village to allow a westbound UP leaving Union to cross our path. I'd really like to see Metrolinx look into a grade separation near Pearson junction to bring UP trains from the north track down to the south. That would allow westbound UP trains to stay on the north side of the USRC the from their north side platform, crossing only the Barrie line, rather than both the Barrie and Kitchener lines currently. Plus operating a single 4-track railway rather than two parallel 2-track railways would would allow for much more operational flexibility, allowing trains to switch tracks without affecting oncoming traffic and decimating the line capacity. That would also make mitigating delays a lot more practical.

There was a 'living' sound wall design proposed, but I don't recall if it met the approval of residents and/or budget makers.

The problem with the trees on virtually all rail corridors is, the natural growth is unplanned and hence usually in the wrong place, so at some point it all has to be taken out - after the residents have grown accustomed to it. I would argue that the Junction has benefitted from all the defoliation, because the bushes (which only got dense in the last decade or two) had been great hiding places for street criminals and druggies (who sometimes wandered onto the tracks and got hit). The area has become a lot safer since the project began (Moving 11 Division to its new location helped too).

Parts of the LSE/LSW have similar issues.

The challenge is to go back in a more planned manner and add sustainable greenery....and hopefully it grows in before too many years pass.

- Paul

Older photos show no trees in the 1920s, but by the 1930s the small boulevard strip between the sidewalk and rail corridor fence was planted with many trees:
s0071_it9506.jpg

By the 1950s, it was a pretty lush strip of greenery:
s0372_ss0100_it0296.jpg

Up until very recently, there were many trees along that boulevard strip, and probably others within the corridor too. Unfortunately, with the sound walls going in, I don't think there will be space for trees along there anymore. It'll be a wall.

dundas.jpg

Metrolinx says they are re-planting trees on a 3:1 ratio, but I'm not sure *where*. Certainly won't be in the same place. Also, smaller trees don't count towards re-planting.

Attachments

• dundas.jpg
    dundas.jpg
    285.6 KB · Views: 447
I have noticed a trend towards the planting of "dwarf" trees. By "dwarf", they mean very slow growing trees. They'll take much longer to reach maturity. They are almost the same tree as the non-dwarf trees, but take a couple or three generations to see them grow into tall trees.

I have noticed a trend towards the planting of "dwarf" trees. By "dwarf", they mean very slow growing trees. They'll take much longer to reach maturity. They are almost the same tree as the non-dwarf trees, but take a couple or three generations to see them grow into tall trees.
One of the most irritating trends, for sure. It's done in the name of maintenance. Smaller trees, less leaves in the fall, less branch trimming 20~30 years down the road.

Of course, these trees take 20~30 years to grow big enough to provide any kind of reasonable shade, and by then, it's time to rip up the road, and replant the trees. Streets end up in a perpetual state of having ornamental trees because city staff only understand that "streets should have trees" and "people like trees", but they've completely forgotten why the trees exist, i.e. to provide shade and buffer, which are not served by these small, slow growing, easy maintenance things.

The big trees along Dundas are a definite loss - it's unusual for the city to let these go without a fight.

Dundas always had a pretty good fence, and the trees rose above it. They provided shade but didn't block the view to the tracks themselves. In your most recent shot, you can see how the ground level view is all 'bushed' in. That's the new growth I was referring to. It has been untended and is largely nuisance species as opposed to maintainable, desirable foliage. Once upon a time, railways tended their rights of way, but labour costs and increased aversion to the noxious herbicides they were using put an end to that. Some weedspraying still goes on, and they will periodically brush-cut back from the track to some degree.

One hopes that at least some creeping vine finds its way onto the new walls.

- Paul

Back