Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

"The Union Pearson Express will run every half hour instead of every 15 minutes"

At first I thought this was a permanent change because so few people are using it. It turns out that this is only temporary due to construction.

UPX ridership is bad? I thought it was good. :(

The interesting part of the press announcement is that supposedly westbound UPX will begin using Bloor's north platform and GO will use the middle platform. That's an actual change in how the line is dispatched - it will be interesting to see how this works.

- Paul

The interesting part of the press announcement is that supposedly westbound UPX will begin using Bloor's north platform and GO will use the middle platform. That's an actual change in how the line is dispatched - it will be interesting to see how this works.

- Paul
This will allow GO 10/12 car trains to use all car there compare to 5/6 using the east platform while it being extended. Only got 7 trains to worry about at best at peak time and no big deal. They will swap tracks 1 & 2 at the Humber crossover block.

Aug 31
UPX using tracks 2-3 when I was there with platform 1 (East) setup for 6 cars only.

None of the platforms are finish at all.

The main tunnel at Bloor is open for both platforms, but not finish.

If the plan for UPX is to use track 1 at peak time, GO on 2, not much of an impact as UPX will move to 2 after peak.

Very few workers on site and removing all the power cables along the RailPath. New fence in place from Bloor to the entrance to platform 1.

One thing I noticed for the first time standing at the south end of UPX platform 1, Will the Bloor bridge have to be move east as its doesn't look like enough room to bend the tracks to the east side fore the new track 1. Someone interviewing the lonely rider on platform 2 that I never visited. Elevator being installed in the west entrance for Dundas St.

More up on site
21052643001_ec1cf3e56b_b.jpg

21052657131_22d3a3e2d9_b.jpg

20423984073_0be6d3e170_b.jpg

20857143088_bdaee740db_b.jpg

21018810566_502e023b1b_b.jpg

20422414824_ee2ef349ed_b.jpg

21052681431_fb5994b3ee_b.jpg

21018828856_7ddd2c418d_b.jpg

google has updated the 2009 satellite imagery to imagery from june of this year, the non 3D stuff. Google maps standardly uses the 3D stuff, which is 2012 for the western part of the city and 2014 for the eastern part.

If you use Google Earth you can turn off 3D buildings and view the 2015 imagery. Better yet, you can use the historic imagery tab and view imagery dating back to 2002.

Aug 31
Dennison Ave E Grade Separation will finally be open late this year.

Most of the north sidewalk is pour and they were forming the concrete base between the retaining sidewalk wall and the the road curb. Still got to do the top of the wall work yet. Never check the full site, but the road concrete curb for the underpass is pour as well for the old street and the loop. One house lost 90% of its front yard for the loop. Hand railing still has to be install on the north sidewalk.

New wooden fencing has been install along the back yards of the house north of the new road. Crews where preparing the form sidewalks for the apartment buildings. Wouldn't be surprise to see the base paving down this month for all the roads.

Lot more up on site
21058710061_1e8a0e9368_b.jpg

21024854686_a9c6dd52bc_b.jpg

20862943270_56a10b9a62_b.jpg

21058699271_a3c2269d75_b.jpg

20862960230_b22826f5a7_b.jpg

20862955770_40f972a6aa_b.jpg

20428424834_01cdabd48e_b.jpg

Accessible platform at the non-existent track -- Looks like we now know the exact alignment now. That's going to be a tight squeeze for the RailPath at that section, being pushed against the side of the building.

Being between two close tall walls (noisewall and buildingwall) will not be very people-friendly, so something will need to be done to prevent the section from becoming a secluded grafitti magnet -- mural, lighting, arches above, etc. -- to prevent this section of RailPath from getting the "dark underpass feel".

If only the platform roof was designed in a way to support a nice raised scenic RailPath through the station section...

Last edited:
This looks a little tight too, doesn't it? The way the bridge is aligned, I'm not 100% the lightbox is outside the train dynamic envelope...
That is in deed tight and it starts at the south end of the station itself. That is why I said the bridge may have to be shifted to the east or a real tight slow speed curve to get to the track position for the UPX Platform, let alone GO Platform.

Looks a lot different on the ground at Bloor.

All the tress along Metrolinx corridor line or the west side of the RailPath will be cut down when time comes for building track 1

Had a visit to West New Station and it further behind Bloor for both platforms. Real surprise this went from being first for completion in Jan to last by Nov now. Even UPX platforms are only 85% complete as well.

This looks a little tight too, doesn't it? The way the bridge is aligned, I'm not 100% the lightbox is outside the train dynamic envelope...

The deck of the bridge is 15 feet wide or more. No, the lightbox is no where near the dynamic envelope of any train until you start trying to fit high-wides on there (which wouldn't fit on any of the platform tracks, in any event).

Depending on how the tracks are aligned to the south of the bridge and station, they may not even need a PSO there. If they do, it would be due to a lack of tangent track between the reverse curves.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

The deck of the bridge is 15 feet wide or more. No, the lightbox is no where near the dynamic envelope of any train until you start trying to fit high-wides on there (which wouldn't fit on any of the platform tracks, in any event).

Depending on how the tracks are aligned to the south of the bridge and station, they may not even need a PSO there. If they do, it would be due to a lack of tangent track between the reverse curves.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.
This is the best shot I think I have shot from Dundas overpass and tracks will not be an issue from what I see up to the Bloor bridge.
17459982240_575a9230e2_k.jpg

16954707868_05cb9adc2f_k.jpg

16522310203_89b5c6e48f_k.jpg

Back