Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

There's supposed to be a early morning bus stop outside the terminal loop. But I couldn't tell you where it is.

The 300 driver should have told you to get off at Dundas and The East Mall and transfer there, it's the only stop on the 192 on Dundas Street
Save for the fact that the 300 doesn't run along Dundas west of Aukland.

He wasn't trying to take the 300 to the airport. He wanted to take the 192, as he was instructed to do by the TTC trip planner.
The thing I learned from following this discussion is that there is a bus called the 300A that goes to the airport.....was your friend wanting to switch to the 192 because, like me, he did not know about the 300A? Seems his whole issue about the poor transfer at Kipling could have been avoided if he could stay on a bus that went right to the airport.

On Sunday mornings there's a ~40-minute window between about 8:05 and 8:45 where there are no more 300A buses that go direct to the airport while route 300 night buses don't directly serve Kipling station.

So you have to transfer from the 300 to the 192 to get to the airport, which involves walking down Aukland Rd and either figuring out where the "night stop" is located (*if* it exists) or walking up the bus ramp into the station.

Tuscani's friend unfortunately experienced how this situation doesn't really work and is an oversight by the TTC.

The TTC should do something about it. But until they do, if you need to get to Pearson on a Sunday morning I would suggest timing things so you can either catch the last 300A or the first "300K" that serves Kipling station directly.

As stated in today's Toronto Star editorial page in reference to Edward Keenan's July 22 article, the Union Pearson Express is running at 12% capacity. That figure includes the dates of the PanAm games so it is likely to drop further. Main reason…ticket prices are too high. It's especially irksome when you consider the $456 million in public money that was used to build it. This train will most likely always lose money. May as well drop the fare significantly so the average "Joe/Josephine" can afford to use it. After all, they were the ones who paid to build it.

Steven De Luca admitted UPX will never break even in a Star interview with Tess Kalinowski. Metrolinx can easily reduce the fares on UPX and make it more attractive to regular commuters, but the province is deadset on having a premium express rail service to the Airport.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/tra...nx-ceo-chats-about-union-pearson-express.html

To be fair, he said that UPX would not get the capital costs recovered through fares, but expect operational costs breakeven in 3-5 years.

AoD

Reactions: rbt
To be fair, he said that UPX would not get the capital costs recovered through fares, but expect operational costs breakeven in 3-5 years.
Exact quote:

"We are not expecting fares to pay back the capital costs at this time." -- Bruce McCuaig

It seems interpretable in multiple ways, I guess we'll find out more as we see publicly-available figures over the coming years...

Exact quote:

"We are not expecting fares to pay back the capital costs at this time." -- Bruce McCuaig

It seems interpretable in multiple ways, I guess we'll find out more as we see publicly-available figures over the coming years...

Actually the extended exact quote provides far more context:

We are not expecting fares to pay back the capital costs at this time. The province has invested the $456 million in the capital and it would be unusual in a North American context to expect customers to pay back the capital cost through their fares. I don't know off the top of my head how many riders per day will be needed for cost recovery, but we do expect that level of ridership by year three to five.

It's pretty clearly capital vs. operational - and he wouldn't be wrong about the former (capital recovery would be measured in decades even in places like Hong Kong, even when associated property developments are taken into account).

AoD

Last edited:
Metrolinx can easily reduce the fares on UPX and make it more attractive to regular commuters, but the province is deadset on having a premium express rail service to the Airport.

I don't get what people mean by regular customers are poel expected to drive downtown and park there car for a week at a lot downtown and then take the UPX to the airport? It's a premium service for people who are staying at downtown hotels just like the Airport Express buses that Pacific Western used to run were.

I have no problem with the notion of lowering prices to attract more riders as long as it is economically beneficial to do so - and not because one want to operate it as anything but a mostly business express line (which seems to go contrary to the opinion out there that it should be more akin to a regular GO - if not TTC line).

AoD

Another reason for an earlier subway service on Sunday mornings. Send e-mail to John Tory, as Toronto Mayor mayor_tory@toronto.ca, and Josh Colle, as TTC Chair ttcchair@toronto.ca.

I think everyone know that people want to do it. Even Andy Byford has said he would like to the big problem is they need that extra time to do track work and stuff. I think Andy Byford has said they are looking into it once the new signaling system is in place on the YUS and the extension opens.

Until the new signaling is in place, having early Sunday service will be a dream outside of special events. Same goes for 7/24 service. Sending emails is a waste of time.

Once the new signaling is up and running, you can shut down one track and run trains in both directions on the other track. Down side to this, one track operation will see longer headways, but better than no service at all.

TTC could even do track work in the off peak time frame to speed up repairs or what every has to happen since we have a very old out dated system. Having small windows to do work is only going to have things cause more problems down the road.

Even station would see one track service at times to speed work up on them than close them down 100%.

When did TTC start late service on various sections of the lines as well close them down for a full weekend?? Only happen in the last 5 years or when A major issue rose before then.

Thanks for the answers a few posts ago about the timeline of the additional track on the GTS (ie don't expect it for awhile and they have to figure out how to get under the 401; EA for resurfacing above starts this fall).

My question is about the Milton line where it parallels the GTS. There used to be two tracks there and now there is one. Will the second one come back? It is delayed until they finish building the sound walls on the West side of the GTS?

Back