Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

Some of that tack is in place now at various location and it the empty space depending where you are.
They don't need to build a 4th track for the whole length to begin building an easier 4th track (for passing) at other sections. The difficult parts like the 401 underpass is a construction phasing matter.

I imagine they'd have segments open before the whole length?
That can still provide service improvements by reducing contention...

UP.png

Christ, that's a lot of Presto transactions for a trip to the airport and back. They should have a simplified view that cuts out all of the bullshit of initial payment, discount, inspections, etc. Just show me two transactions that show that I took trips to/from the airport for $15.20 each. Whoever sees my expense report will be confused. The taxi receipts from the other end are pretty straightforward...

Attachments

• UP.png
    UP.png
    56.3 KB · Views: 1,043
For the first time, I noticed this wayfinding format for UPX at Union:

Airplane logo next to UP logo.

(Platform 3)

image.jpg

Is this the wayfinding standard that UP will put up, going forward, for new signage along the whole corridor?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    819.9 KB · Views: 272
A couple years ago I posted a table comparing the average speed of various airport rail links. It was (very rightly) criticized for its arbitrary selection of lines, so I've now made a new table that is comprehensive.

Here are the average speeds of all premium-fare direct airport-to-downtown rail links in the world:
Screen Shot 2015-08-01 at 17.20.26.png

Notes:
- This list includes only dedicated airport services, not conventional rail services that serve airports.
- The list includes only direct services. Services which drop people at an airport people-mover are not included.
- The measured segment is from the nearest airport terminal to the most significant city centre station on the line. Travel times to other airport terminals will be longer.
- I used Wikipedia's list for reference, so if a line is missing from it, it will be missing from my table too.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-08-01 at 17.20.26.png
    Screen Shot 2015-08-01 at 17.20.26.png
    235.7 KB · Views: 724
Last edited:
For a relatively slow airport train, we pay more to ride the UPX than many of these other cities.

The $19 fare compares with $29 fare by UberX from downtown, just want to add, although UberX is not allowed at Pearson in think. It took me 22 minutes last time though I admit there was no traffic at that time (early morning).
UPe is expensive but I still like the option being there. But I will only take it FROM YYZ, not to.

For a relatively slow airport train, we pay more to ride the UPX than many of these other cities.

Indeed but that will improve slightly with electrification and removal of the Westin Stop (whenever GO actually decides to run regular service). I haven't timed it, but that link between spur to T1 seems to take a huge amount of time to traverse.

If they remove the Weston stop, they have been talking about adding a stop at Mount Dennis. Also I've heard talks of a possible Woodbine stop in the future. So I doubt it will get any better.

I don't know, UPE actually compares well in terms of price just by eyeballing some of the obvious examples, and speed is less relevant than overall travel time between the two termini.

AoD

I don't know, UPE actually compares well in terms of price just by eyeballing some of the obvious examples, and speed is less relevant than overall travel time between the two termini.

AoD

Exactly the UP express is a premium service much like the Airport Express buses that served downtown hotels were. The cost is roughly the same as that as well. I'm not sure what TTCriders thinks it is supposed to be but it definitely shouldn't cost the same as the TTC.

Exactly, you get what you pay for.

In related news, a friend tried the TTC option to the airport and had nothing good to say about his experience. Something you don't need to deal with on the UP Express:

The TTC is awful!!! So I was on my way to the airport and took the 300 (bloor night bus that does not go inside kipling station) I had to get off and walk to the station and connect with the 192 bus to the airport. (I took instructions from its official website)Tried to get in the station only to find out that the station was closed. Buses were going in and out and people were getting on and off buses. But I couldn't get in because the station door remained closed. (Station apparently opens around at 8:45 on Sundays, when buses start operating hours before)
Some people went in through the bus ramp which is clearly unsafe as buses go in and out of there and you could be fine $500 apparently for "trespassing", I decided to do the same since I had to get to work and I saw several 192 buses go in and out. I've never done anything like that before, specially in uniform.
I got on the bus and asked the driver what to do next time. He told me that it is normal and I should just go up through the ramp next time "its illegal, but i've never seen anyone get in trouble!" Was his response.

Rant is done. I'll send a formal complain letter to the ttc in the next few days

He wasn't trying to take the 300 to the airport. He wanted to take the 192, as he was instructed to do by the TTC trip planner.

He wasn't trying to take the 300 to the airport. He wanted to take the 192, as he was instructed to do by the TTC trip planner.

There's supposed to be a early morning bus stop outside the terminal loop. But I couldn't tell you where it is.

The 300 driver should have told you to get off at Dundas and The East Mall and transfer there, it's the only stop on the 192 on Dundas Street

Back