News   Apr 19, 2024
 163     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 564     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1.2K     2 

GO Transit Fleet Equipment and other

Here's a bit of news:

TORONTO, Sept. 1, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- Metrolinx, an agency of the Government of Ontario championing and delivering mobility solutions for the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area (GTHA), has recently selected CH2M as its vehicle technology consultant for the Regional Express Rail (RER) program.

The RER program is part of an Ontario budget commitment to invest CAN$29 billion in infrastructure over 10 years province-wide, with CAN$15 billion dedicated to transit in the GTHA. This includes offering electrified, all‐day, two‐way service that is reliable, safe and smooth on the Metrolinx-owned GO Transit inter-regional system. Helping to implement this visionary urban transformation, CH2M will provide program management and engineering services in the procurement of electric locomotives, electric multiple units (EMU), dual mode locomotives and other equipment types.

CH2M brings to this assignment in-depth diesel multiple unit (DMU) and EMU experience, complemented by first-hand knowledge of Metrolinx's system, vision and goals. The company has supported clients across the globe in their transition from diesel operation to electrification, including Amtrak's new fleet of high‐speed electric locomotives for the Northeast corridor and Australia's largest EMU procurement.

"This investment in GO Transit will transform how its seven commuter rail corridors are used, bringing new transit options to residents throughout the GTHA," stated Jeff Rankin, CH2M's Ontario Transit Systems Operations Lead. "We are honored to continue our partnership with Metrolinx on these exciting developments."

From commuter rail, streetcars and light rail, to rapid transit and high speed rail, CH2M has a strong track record of successful projects worldwide, including Metrolinx's Light Rail Vehicle, Rapid Transit, Union Pearson Express and RER programs. This proven history has earned the company recognition as a top consultant for Transportation Design, Mass Transit and Rail and Program Management, as ranked by Engineering News‐Record in 2016.

About CH2M

CH2M leads the professional services industry delivering sustainable solutions benefiting societal, environmental and economic outcomes with the development of infrastructure and industry. In this way, CH2Mers make a positive difference providing consulting, design, engineering and management services for clients in water; environment andnuclear; transportation; energy and industrial markets, from iconic infrastructure to global programs like the Olympic Games. Ranked among the World's Most Ethical Companies and top firms in environmental consulting and program management, CH2M in 2016 became the first professional services firm honored with the World Environment Center Gold Medal Award for efforts advancing sustainable development. Connect with CH2M at www.ch2m.com; LinkedIn;Twitter; and Facebook.

Contact: Tom Doerr, CH2M, Transportation Business Group, 720-286-3004, tdoerr@ch2m.com

that Positive Train Control or similar (automatic braking) is mandatory.
I think that serves everyone's best needs anyway, fully compliant or not, and Metrolinx have claimed by your own findings in reports that it's planned anyway...lol...in theory. Metrolinx love to talk about the distant future like it's tomorrow.

This also happens to be good for GO's electrification plan too, if Transport Canada matches FRA amendments.
"...if Transport Canada matches FRA amendments". Yet another theory. Should have happened years ago.

CH2M has a strong track record of successful projects worldwide, including Metrolinx's Light Rail Vehicle, Rapid Transit, Union Pearson Express and RER programs
Not sure what the second one is meant to be, the third one distinctly questionable (depending on CH2M's actual role) and the last one is vapourware.

Also, while they play up their experience with Metrolinx, one wonders whether hearing from the same consultants on all your projects is more efficient or more of an echo chamber.

Not sure what the second one is meant to be, the third one distinctly questionable (depending on CH2M's actual role) and the last one is vapourware.

Also, while they play up their experience with Metrolinx, one wonders whether hearing from the same consultants on all your projects is more efficient or more of an echo chamber.
Yeahhhh...I kinda scratched my head over that one too.

These folks might do better to keep their heads down, not up above the parapets...and pardon me for asking, but doesn't Metrolinx have their own staff proficient in these areas?

Yeahhhh...I kinda scratched my head over that one too.

These folks might do better to keep their heads down, not up above the parapets...and pardon me for asking, but doesn't Metrolinx have their own staff proficient in these areas?

When you are spending billions, you often get a second opinion from outside in case your team has collective group-think delusions.

My points stands...ever more. I think you'd best re-read the wording of the public announcement.
[...]
From commuter rail, streetcars and light rail, to rapid transit and high speed rail, CH2M has a strong track record of successful projects worldwide, including Metrolinx's Light Rail Vehicle, Rapid Transit, Union Pearson Express and RER programs. This proven history has earned the company recognition as a top consultant for Transportation Design, Mass Transit and Rail and Program Management, as ranked by Engineering News‐Record in 2016.
[...]

The inference is clearly being the prime contractor.

My points stands...ever more. I think you'd best re-read the wording of the public announcement.
[...]
[...]

The inference is clearly being the prime contractor.

I am as concerned (or aghast or surprised) as you are.

If they are declaring the Metrolinx LRT and UPE projects as successful completed projects.......ummmm......

- Paul

Sorry if already posted, but it looks like Metrolinx might be ordering some mini-busses similar to the TTC's WheelTrans fleet
That piqued my interest and curiosity until I Googled:
[...]
8m Transit Bus
tpi_8m_high-280x150.jpg

TPI has facilitated the procurement of eight-metre low or high floor specialized diesel transit buses on the behalf of 15 municipalities and non-profits across Ontario. The vehicle design and specifications are performance-based; however, stakeholders have access to an option list to meet their specific local needs. The specifications also comply with current and upcoming Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act 2005 (AODA) standards and the Highway Traffic Act (HTA) Reg. 629.

tpi_8m_low-280x150.jpg

In early 2015, TPI awarded two new contracts for eight-metre specialized buses. One for a low floor design and one for a high floor design. The low floor contract was awarded to Creative Carriage while the high floor contract was awarded to Overland Custom Coach.

Please contact TPI to learn about purchasing these buses for your transit system through our program.

Background
TPI’s first contract in 2010 for eight-metre low floor specialized transit buses was awarded to Creative Carriage in St. George, Ontario and the eight-metre high floor specialized transit bus contract was awarded to Crestline Ltd. in Saskatoon. In 2012, new contracts were awarded to Overland Custom Coach in Thorndale, Ontario for high floor buses and to Creative Carriage in St.George, Ontario for low floor buses. As of the end of March 2015 a total of 118 vehicles with either the low floor or the high floor configuration have been ordered by TPI Partners.

Added Value
The TPI office provides important value-added benefits to participating transit systems. These include:

• Enhanced quality control through in-plant inspection of buses
  • Fairness commissioner services to oversee the procurement process
  • Independent project officer to develop technical specifications and administer the contract
  • Economies of scale and reduced unit cost
Partners
Metrolinx’s TPI office has partnered with 15 municipal transit systems and agencies on the currently active contracts and we are always looking to serve more local transit partners and non-governmental organizations (NGO’s).

Barrie | Belleville | Burlington | Cornwall | Durham | Elliot Lake | Hamilton | Handi-Transit (Windsor) | Kingston | Milton | North Bay | Oakville | Quinte West | Sarnia | Welland
[...]
http://www.metrolinx.com/en/projectsandprograms/tpi/tpi_current.aspx

Back