News   Apr 24, 2024
 59     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.9K     5 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 579     0 

GO Transit Electrification | Metrolinx

At Metrolinx BOD meeting today, construction will start in 2018 starting with Union Station and its corridor. Power station will take place along the various lines at the sametime.

UPX & Bramalea line will be the first line to go into service about 2020 with the other lines following in phase and completed by 2024.

Issues were raised as to the looks of the power stations as well the overhead itself.

Locomotives will EMU on lines that will hold them with diesel being used on the sections that not electrify. Need to get CN & CP to accept the overhead on their lines.

All bridges will have to have protection barriers on them and will be done as the lines are being done.

All bridges will have to have protection barriers on them and will be done as the lines are being done.

You mean like this?

Logo BridgeRail1.JPG

Attachments

• Logo BridgeRail1.JPG
    Logo BridgeRail1.JPG
    11.6 KB · Views: 1,145
At Metrolinx BOD meeting today, construction will start in 2018 starting with Union Station and its corridor. Power station will take place along the various lines at the sametime.

UPX & Bramalea line will be the first line to go into service about 2020 with the other lines following in phase and completed by 2024.

Issues were raised as to the looks of the power stations as well the overhead itself.

Locomotives will EMU on lines that will hold them with diesel being used on the sections that not electrify. Need to get CN & CP to accept the overhead on their lines.

I just hope that "2018" means "can be far enough in before the 2018 election that cancelling it would be politically disasterous".

Is the Stouffville line included? With Smart Track?

I'm really curious why they aren't doing Lakeshore first. So much more traffic and payback.

I'm really curious why they aren't doing Lakeshore first. So much more traffic and payback.

I thought the Bramalea line would be done first because of all the previous work on the corridor (Georgetown South) and studies already made it electrification ready, unlike LSE/W.

AoD

The UPX route is far closer to electrification. The electric EA is already complete. And #SmartTrack #topoli

For Union efficiency's sake, I just hope that they merge UPX+SmartTrack into some unified service with multiple stopping plans, so that UPX frequencies no longer interferes with RER frequencies.

I thought the Bramalea line would be done first because of all the previous work on the corridor (Georgetown South) and studies already made it electrification ready, unlike LSE/W.

AoD

Yes, I believe that's correct. The order will likely be:

1) USRC + LSW to Mimico (access to the yard)
2) KT to Bramalea + UPX
3) LSE to Oshawa + LSW to Burlington
4) ST to Unionville

I thought Lake Shore was (kinda) first. I understood the electrification test was to be finished on Lake Shore East around 2019. Should be starting construction as soon as the electrical substation locations are approved.

I thought Lake Shore was (kinda) first. I understood the electrification test was to be finished on Lake Shore East around 2019. Should be starting construction as soon as the electrical substation locations are approved.

I think it has to do with the political pressure by Weston/Junction residents around electrifying UPX. I don't think it's a coincidence that that's also the same neighbourhood they're trying to build the Barrie line elevated structure through. That project could very well be in the final stages before construction by the time the UPX electrification is operational.

Barrie and Stouffville lines are to be completed by 2024.

The UPX lines has been a given since day one due to the Weston Community as been the first line done.

Lakeshore West should follow next along with the east due to yards and ridership. The east yard is still on schedule to be done in 2017.

Testing will be one on the Lakeshore E and when is subject to completion. It maybe only a short section until Union and its corridors are done.

There is no firm timetable at this time from my take at the meeting and will be a moving target.

Just because construction is underway before the election, it doesn't mean it could come to a halt and be cancel after the election. We saw this under Mike Harries when he came to power.

Last edited:
I think it has to do with the political pressure by Weston/Junction residents around electrifying UPX. I don't think it's a coincidence that that's also the same neighbourhood they're trying to build the Barrie line elevated structure through. That project could very well be in the final stages before construction by the time the UPX electrification is operational.

I would also credit John Tory and his SmartTrack for making the Kitchener and Stouffville electrification a priority.

Yes, I believe that's correct. The order will likely be:

1) USRC + LSW to Mimico (access to the yard)
2) KT to Bramalea + UPX
3) LSE to Oshawa + LSW to Burlington
4) ST to Unionville
Except UPX doesn't need Mimico. How about:
  1. UPX yard, UPX-USRC-Union
  2. LSW to Mimico (but that's not electric ready whereas Whitby likely will be...)
  3. KT to Bramalea
  4. ...
Given that UPX is meant to be only 1 x 25kV vs 2 x 25kV+autotransformers for the other services, this would be a comparatively simpler project to begin with on many levels.

Did they figure out how to "Fix" the electrification problem that was all "Sky is falling!" a few weeks ago?

Did they figure out how to "Fix" the electrification problem that was all "Sky is falling!" a few weeks ago?

The Capital Projects Report at this week's ML Board meeting says the following

http://www.metrolinx.com/en/docs/pd...60210_BoardMtg_Capital_Projects_Report_EN.pdf

Union Station Rail Corridor (USRC)

The construction manager prequalification for the Union Station Trainshed Enhancement Project was issued in October 2015 and the design consultant tender was posted in November 2015. This is the first project that Metrolinx will procure with the Construction Manager General Contractor delivery model. The $600 million project includes expansion and renovations of the Union Station Trainshed to allow for electrification and increased train service as part of GO Transit’s RER. The consultant tender for Quality Based Selection RFP was released to market in December 2015.

I'm not sure how to interpret "expansion and renovations"....... Higher?

-Paul

Back