Toronto GO Transit: Davenport Diamond Grade Separation | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

well....brings true to the saying "if you cant beat em, join em"

They know they can't take on the province. If this was a municipal project they might have a chance.

There only realistic goal now is to ensure at every step of the way that Metrolinx sticks to its promise of proper noise walls, beautification etc.

Basically make sure its as nice and obstructive to the community as possible.

Options 4 Davenport posted this today:

Update on Davenport Diamond Overpass timelines, from Metrolinx:

Design (Preliminary):
November 2016- November 2017

Detailed Design Contract:
November 2017- October 2018

Overpass Construction:
January 2019- April 2021

Public Realm Construction:
April 2021- 2022

The station at Bloor (if approved; remember, Metrolinx has still made it contingent on the City paying for a covered connection to Lansdowne subway station- a ridiculous stipulation) will be a separate project with its own separate EA, as will the expansion of the corridor north/south of the overpass, and electrification of the line. Metrolinx has indicated they will give timelines for these separate EAs as they become available.

At the Community Advisory Committee meeting, Options 4 Davenport gave this presentation: http://bit.ly/2dkVfjO

And Metrolinx gave this one: http://bit.ly/2cSOEKB

Someone posted that they thought the construction timeline seemed to be pushed back from what was reported in the media

They know they can't take on the province. If this was a municipal project they might have a chance.

There only realistic goal now is to ensure at every step of the way that Metrolinx sticks to its promise of proper noise walls, beautification etc.

Basically make sure its as nice and obstructive to the community as possible.

That's pretty reasonable - and something Mlinx should strive to do. Right now the MO is very much squeaky wheel gets the grease (e.g. Weston).

AoD

The original justification for the overpass was that it could be done quickly and RER couldn't wait for a tunnel. So much for that argument.

I wonder if this new schedule would permit electrification from the get-go.

- Paul

In the best case. Any RER related tender that occurs after the election is liable to be delayed for a "rethink and optimization".
The original justification for the overpass was that it could be done quickly and RER couldn't wait for a tunnel. So much for that argument.

- Paul
They still have to do the AD2W to Barrie right?

They still have to do the AD2W to Barrie right?

Want to? Almost certainly for election purposes; I suspect they'll launch hourly Union to Aurora by 2018.

"Have to" is the wrong phrasing for anything regarding Metrolinx. That implies they have a plan of some kind that isn't subject to whims of, well, anybody.

Closest we get to a Barrie Line service promise is this:
http://www.simcoe.com/news-story/55...ces-enhanced-service-on-barrie-go-train-line/

"Metrolinx CEO Bruce McCuaig said the plan will mean new trains, first during peak hours. The number of trains will rise to seven each way by 2019/20."

"The off-peak and weekend service will be offered quicker. Twenty-four trips will take people to and from Toronto on weekends in 2016/17, and the next, year, in 2017/18, “we’ll add 20 weekday trips to fill the space between the peak periods.”​

Last edited:
That said I'm not aware of a firm schedule for this service but I also don't think anybody has said hourly frequencies depend on this grade separation.

I'm afraid it does. Hourly service demands GO use the CP diamond twice an hour. The diamond would have to be cleared for at least five minutes in advance of any GO train to avoid restrictive signals slowing the GO train down. That's likely not acceptable to CP.

So - no Davenport solution, no hourly service.

- Paul

Last edited:
I'm afraid it does. Hourly service demands GO use the CP diamond twice an hour. The diamond would have to be cleared for at least five minutes in advance of any GO train to avoid restrictive signals slowing the GO train down. That's likely not acceptable to CP.

- Paul
And yet again, the 'way out' for delaying this is simple: The Missing Link. What are they waiting for?

Want to? Almost certainly for election purposes; I suspect they'll launch hourly Union to Aurora by 2018.

"Have to" is the wrong phrasing for anything regarding Metrolinx. That implies they have a plan of some kind that isn't subject to whims of, well, anybody.

Closest we get to a Barrie Line service promise is this:
http://www.simcoe.com/news-story/55...ces-enhanced-service-on-barrie-go-train-line/

"Metrolinx CEO Bruce McCuaig said the plan will mean new trains, first during peak hours. The number of trains will rise to seven each way by 2019/20."

"The off-peak and weekend service will be offered quicker. Twenty-four trips will take people to and from Toronto on weekends in 2016/17, and the next, year, in 2017/18, “we’ll add 20 weekday trips to fill the space between the peak periods.”​

- Paul

And yet again, the 'way out' for delaying this is simple: The Missing Link. What are they waiting for?
Metrolinx needs to make a tough call. This might cost the Liberals crucial votes in Newmarket, Aurora and even Richmond Hill (10 min from maple and rutherford sations) Either bite the bullet on this and speed up the EA to next year or prep for and do the missing link as Steve has said and solve this crap once and for all.

Waiting for the Missing Link won't speed this project up....it would delay it, and tieing it to the Link would leave the impression that the overpass isn't really needed at all. (it will be, if a cross-town transit line were ever planned for the North Toronto route....but that's 15 or more years away). The Link is going to need plenty of time to complete.

The whole RER was overpromised in terms of money and project capability. And Wynne has thrown a curve by committing to Niagara and Bowmanville. The new sched is at least honest, hopefully enough money gets committed pre election that an incoming government would retain it..... especially since the votes lost by wynne that you speak of would likely go to the incoming party, who would want to repay the voters.

- Paul

- Paul

Why in hell would anything that GO/Metrolinx is building at this stage be anything but ready for electrification? If we need to ask that, then we really do have to question right to the top of the organization.

Waiting for the Missing Link won't speed this project up....it would delay it, and tieing it to the Link would leave the impression that the overpass isn't really needed at all. (it will be, if a cross-town transit line were ever planned for the North Toronto route....but that's 15 or more years away). The Link is going to need plenty of time to complete.
Almost agreed on all points....but that's *precisely* why Wynne could use The Missing Link as her lifesaver. And at a much cheaper cost since the Feds are required by the Relocation Act to pay half, if not more with other programs like Infrastructure out of other Fed budgets.

Wynne is so out of her depth now she needs something to grasp onto to put a hold on the multiplicity of promises she can't and won't keep. At this point, does anyone take her seriously? Speaking of the Bowmanville and Niag....Squirrel! Over there!

I do think the "diamond" could take a second look if The Link does come to fruition. The problem isn't available pathing so much as it is *co-ordinated dispatching and signal priority* from GO. If the Diamond doesn't have to happen, huge amounts will be saved. It needs a second look, including if freight is gone, is a bridge/underpass along the Crosstown RoW a much better approach? (There's a lot more space to work with, and far lower res density adjacent)

Last edited:

Back