Toronto GO Transit: Davenport Diamond Grade Separation | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

I also think their request about a date to start electrification and limited number of trains per day until it comes online is also reasonable.

A date request to start electrification is absolutely reasonable.

Their request to limit trains, however? Not so much. 36 trains a day would not allow GO to run their current service AND an hourly service in the off-peak periods.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

A date request to start electrification is absolutely reasonable.
Their request to limit trains, however? Not so much. 36 trains a day would not allow GO to run their current service AND an hourly service in the off-peak periods.

This is what Metrolinx has already committed to. The petition just requests that they actually stick to their commitment.

In their announcement of the 5-year plan in April 2015, Metrolinx noted that there are currently 14 peak trains a day on that line, which will increase to 16 by 2020; at the same time they promised to add 20 off-peak trains.

That's 36 trains a day. See https://swanboatsteve.files.wordpress.com/2015/04/rer-rollout-details.pdf

The 36 train math seems to work out if the last train is approximately 10pm-ish or so, and the offpeak train count is skipped in the pair of 3 hour peaks (saving six trains to fill more offpeak hours).

Metrolinx will probably need to run a 37th on SkyDome/Leafs days (sorry, Rogers Centre has never seemed to stick in my mind.)

After the bridge is finally built (guess: completion delays to 2020?), it would ramp up gradually over a while as service resumes, then after the 36 count is hit (delayed to 2022), it is only 3 years or so until electric trains run (delayed to 2025-2026) when you throw in the typical Metrolinx delaying of incremental upgrades.

(Aside to self: nuh, nuh, 36 sounds somewhat realistic-ish. Except for events.)

Last edited:
...it would ramp up gradually over a while as service resumes...

I don't think service will have to "resume". They're doing it without interrupting service significantly. Shift existing track to east side of corridor, build bridge snug against west side, then tear up old track and diamond.

After the bridge is finally built (guess: completion delays to 2020?)

Does 2020 seem realistic for completion? If so, I'd say that's pretty fast and I would commend such a short construction schedule. Definitely feel for the residents though. No one, no matter where they're living, would want a noisy 2-storey diesel behemoth running elevated behind their homes.

This is what Metrolinx has already committed to. The petition just requests that they actually stick to their commitment.

In their announcement of the 5-year plan in April 2015, Metrolinx noted that there are currently 14 peak trains a day on that line, which will increase to 16 by 2020; at the same time they promised to add 20 off-peak trains.

That's 36 trains a day. See https://swanboatsteve.files.wordpress.com/2015/04/rer-rollout-details.pdf

Then I stand corrected. Nevermind me.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

I think you would find that if the construction takes a BIT longer than thought then the people in the area would probably not raise much of a huff.

What's annoying them is this electrification promise with a vague date. With Toronto area transit not exactly having a stellar record of bringing in projects on time {to say nothing of on budget} they have a right to be dubious of any promises. This is particularly true now as Wynne's largess in the transit profile may not survive the next election.

If Metrolinx and Queen's Park really felt like getting their ass in gear, it could be put out to tender by the end of the year and electrification is not exactly a very time consuming effort if all sections are built at once. They could start the UPX spur by the end of the year easily.

They seem to be quite reasonable in their requests and are clearly willing to meet Metrolinx more than half-way so it will be difficult for Metrolinx to refuse their offer. That's a good thing for the corridor, UPX, GO, ST, and the community at large.

The 36 train math seems to work out if the last train is approximately 10pm-ish or so, and the offpeak train count is skipped in the pair of 3 hour peaks (saving six trains to fill more offpeak hours).

Metrolinx will probably need to run a 37th on SkyDome/Leafs days (sorry, Rogers Centre has never seemed to stick in my mind.)
I'd assume you'd use language such as "not regularly schedule more than 36 trains a day", which would leave room for specials, for out-of-service trains to head to repairs, etc.

And of course, you do want the ability to detour trains up that line, in case another line is blocked for some reason.

And of course, you do want the ability to detour trains up that line, in case another line is blocked for some reason.

I was on Via coming back to Toronto from Kitchener a few times in the past few years when, on the return trip, it detoured using the Barrie line via Snidercroft due to some construction on the Kitchener corridor. I got very alarmed when it detoured, thought we took quite the wrong turn...

I was on Via coming back to Toronto from Kitchener a few times in the past few years when, on the return trip, it detoured using the Barrie line via Snidercroft due to some construction on the Kitchener corridor. I got very alarmed when it detoured, thought we took quite the wrong turn...
Had to detour once because of a CN derailment south of Bramalea. They told us, but it was interesting.

Presumably, it's quite possible they will nearly electrify the Davenport bridge almost right from the outset with plug-in pads for gantries, etc.

it is only 3 years or so until electric trains run

Then the obvious question: Why not lock completion of the bridge with electrification? The whole line doesn't have to be electrified, but the proposed RER segment can and should be. THAT would sit well with the community, local and large. And it's a bit late here tonight, I'm half asleep, might have to edit this tomorrow, but commit to electrifying the Weston Corridor at the same time, or close to it. Whatever equipment and crew is leased to do one can then be used to do the other after. And rolling stock for both segments ordered at the same time too.

Or do we have to have another Pan Am circus to make it happen?

Last edited:
Electrification is much riskier (in terms of potential unforeseens and technical glitches that could affect schedule and cost) and I can understand why ML would not want to link this step with opening the new track.

Electrification can't happen everywhere at once. UPX will be a good first step and involves the fewest route-miles.

Having a followup date where this line is electrified gives residents something to look forward to. Sort of, anyways - they may not see the higher frequency electric service as a step forward.

- Paul

I'm sure in the rest of the world, they would open new railway lines with electricity already. Not waiting for diesel first and followed by electricity.

That would be like opening the Spadina subway extension with diesel first.

That's true, but this is our first time, and Barrie wasn't on the list as the number 1 priority for electrification, so it would mean pushing other things around on the schedule.

A better analogy would be Cirque du Soleil. They don't juggle at heights with the flaming swords until they are comfortable with the bowling pins. At ground level.

- Paul

Back