Toronto GO Transit: Davenport Diamond Grade Separation | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

I thought it was less than ten years until electrification happens on the Barrie Line? If the Davenport Bridge opens in 2019 or 2020 (earliest construction can start is 2017 according to page 33 here), and electrification starts in 2023/2024 (according to this post and chart from Steve Munro - data he says he got from Metrolinx), then it's less than 10 years (in theory). If it was 10 years until electrification, that would be 2029 or 2030.
Steve Munro's document uses the word "by".

So, supposedly, electrification completes in 2023/2024 (barring construction delays)
Certainly could be delayed, but current documents show big electrification construction spending surges starts to begin by end of this decade.

Billion-league spending on electrification construction apparently begins by end of decade it appeared, from a budget bargraph I saw in some public Metrolinx document in the last two weeks (I need to hunt it down again...)

It was a huge surge of electrification construction begins somewhere in the 2018-2019 ballpark, and continues onwards to 2023-2024. The really big construction/spending surge spread only over a 4-year time period. The current phase is planning/EAs/procurement/etc towards an already-targetted 2018-2019-ish construction start of electrification.

The ML folks last night did not dispute the 10-year timeframe when it was raised by residents. That's one of those other-hand projects that they said they could not speak to.

On the simple assumption that things take longer than anyone ever expects, I'm pretty dubious about 2023-24.

- Paul

On the simple assumption that things take longer than anyone ever expects, I'm pretty dubious about 2023-24.
Yes -- just knowing delays to many projects Union Revitalization and Burlington GO station.

I just wanted to the start of electrification is actually by end of decade (or whatever planning delay, like a bump to 2020) -- not 2023-2024 (the targeted complete dates). Assuming 2018 politics doesn't derail this.

I really wish someone would just grow a spine and make these 2 statements to the nimbys:

-you want a tunnel, pay for it. We'll do it if youre willing to pay the tax for an extra $500M
-if you dont like the elevated portion that we bent over to appease you on, feel free to move out.

Weve already done more than enough to appease these lobbyists. seriously we cant spare any more time and money to make every single person happy
without sacrificing the convenience of the other 96%

I really wish someone wo
uld just grow a spine and make these 2 statements to the nimbys:

-you want a tunnel, pay for it. We'll do it if youre willing to pay the tax for an extra $500M
-if you dont like the elevated portion that we bent over to appease you on, feel free to move out.

Weve already done more than enough to appease these lobbyists. seriously we cant spare any more time and money to make every single person happy
without sacrificing the convenience of the other 96%
You can do this at any of the local meetings and be prepare to have your head taken off when you do.

I have made similar statements at various EA events and they were a double edge sword. No nice comments were said to me after I said it.

This past Tuesday saw me making various comments regarding the Dundas Connect study where my comments were directed to Metrolinx, City of Mississauga and the consulting team. I did state there would be no subway on Dundas until 2075 or later and only to Hurontario at the earliest. Some residents wanted a subway today that only moves 15,000 on a week day and they stated that if you build it, developer will come to bring the density to the corridor.

As for double track the diamond, do these clowns know it would be uselessly since CP holds all the cards and only allow GO trains to cross their tracks when they say so, not when GO wants to run a train???

A quick read of this so call EA study is too slated to their out come wants.

Last edited:
The best idea I heard at the meeting last night was - instead of trying to find a way to hide the elevated line - which is what ML went away and tried to do, unsuccessfully - why not hire a renowned architect to design it to be big, bold, and an actual part of Toronto's skyline?

The experts admitted that their original bridge design was (their words) "MTO standard overpass". The new design is really just that with a creative surface cladding. For supposed clever urban design, it's pretty bland (deliberately so - they hoped it would just fade into the scene).

My non-architect brain thinks of something that looks like it was made out of lego - bright, primary colours, maybe a glazed finish instead of stainless steel - something that would actually stand out in a scenic photo. Possibly a rainbow. A twin to the OCA on McCaul St.

- Paul

Oh gawd, that's an EA?

AoD

I skimmed it. It seems pretty apparent that this neighborhood has no idea that the GO-RER plan is increasing transit options within Toronto itself.

They seem to think this is for some kind of Barrie to Toronto train.

I mean Metrolinx even stated that they are seriously considering a station stop within this area if the overpass plan gets approved (its not possible with the tunnel)

Perhaps if it was better known that this is creating effectively a subway like transit system to their area they wouldn't be so opposed to this "rural Barrie train"

Regarding mirrored panels, they can be an issue reflecting the sun long distances.
Why not angle them downwards by approximately 2 to 5 degrees to reduce this effect?

so whats next? is ML going to bend over to the nimby demands or are they just going to say "noted...next"?

The community has until May 13 to submit comments, which must be formally recorded and dispositioned by the ML team.

Metrolinx will make up its mind and then release the Environmental Project Repot after May 27. It goes to the Environment Minister for review and approval.

The decision about whether there will be a Bloor/Lansdowne GO station is separate and happens in the ML Station Study report, which goes to the ML Board in June. If a station is approved, there will have to be a separate EA for that.

- Paul

Back