News   Apr 24, 2024
 756     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 572     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

I agree on both counts. Last time Old Weston was closed off for construction related to the Georgetown GO Transit expansion it was closed off just above and below the tracks (Westport to Junction Road). I seem to recall there was still pedestrian access, and it wasn't closed for such a long period of time as suggested from this electronic billboard. I'll take another look at it this evening. I've had the odd flyer put in my mailbox by GO Transit PR but nothing this time around.
Given the history of poor communication provided by GO and Metrolinx that I've experienced so far, I find myself coming here to become better informed!

The road is close to all for the pile driving and see notices below as to why. The time frame is correct.
IMG_oct-17-09-0053.jpg

IMG_oct-17-09-0047.jpg

IMG_oct-17-09-0046.jpg

IMG_oct-17-09-0044.jpg

Jig to help place the piles correctly.
IMG_oct-17-09-0036.jpg

Considering there are houses on Old Weston as far south as Westport Ave, I imagine there'll be local access at least that far. With that in mind, I have no idea why through access from St. Clair south to the western end of Davenport would be impacted... perhaps a case of an overly vague notice?

Aside: Can you spot the contracter-dudes in a pile-driving-related huddle on Street View?

Considering there are houses on Old Weston as far south as Westport Ave, I imagine there'll be local access at least that far. With that in mind, I have no idea why through access from St. Clair south to the western end of Davenport would be impacted... perhaps a case of an overly vague notice?

Aside: Can you spot the contracter-dudes in a pile-driving-related huddle on Street View?

If you look at my 2nd photo, you can see what there now after that meeting.

If workers have to use ear protection, I cannot see GO allowing access to this crossing for anyone during working hours. By doing so leaves them wide open for legal action. It is also a construction site and safety rules come into play for the public.

If someone chose to disobey this warning and cross this construction zone, they have themselves to blame for any hearing problems.

It doesn't look like they have done any of the pilings across the street ROW since the asphalt looks undisturbed. Also, it looks like they will need to shift the diamond soon for center piling.

Did you happen to notice the piling count drum118?

It doesn't look like they have done any of the pilings across the street ROW since the asphalt looks undisturbed. Also, it looks like they will need to shift the diamond soon for center piling.

Did you happen to notice the piling count drum118?

Just over 900 more to go
IMG_oct-17-09-0061.jpg

If workers have to use ear protection, I cannot see GO allowing access to this crossing for anyone during working hours. By doing so leaves them wide open for legal action. It is also a construction site and safety rules come into play for the public.

If someone chose to disobey this warning and cross this construction zone, they have themselves to blame for any hearing problems.

Of course... I think the piling issue makes it quite clear why pedestrian access is out of the question.

But Lilibet was also mentioning that the previous vehicular closure was only as far as Westport Ave, which is ~150 ft from the tracks. Considering GO isn't about to ban people from their homes, it seems odd to release a notice implying Davenport will be dead-ended, that's all.

Just an update to my previous post about seeing signage stating closure from St. Clair West to Junction Road from October 23, 2009 to February 2009. Signs I'm seeing now have changed to read Davenport to Junction Road which seems more realistic, but the length of time for the closure remains the same.
However, that said, I'm wondering about the 50' radius that drum118 refers to as far as being a zone within which there could be possible hearing damage.
Some of the homes on Old Weston, especially those that are on the west side on the southern end of Old Weston that back onto the tracks, as well as those that are on Lindner and Miller which are to the east of the tracks, might fall within that radius. What about the residents of those homes?

Brampton Station

GO is planning on reopening the tunnel on Dec 1 with completion of the south
side platform by Feb 2010.

The elevators will not be working until sometime in 2010 as they are not being
install at this time.

New stair been built off Main St to the new platform.

The new south side entrance is a real treat to see some nice work by GO for a change.

Haft of the south side platform could be in service by year end or sooner as it
only needs some final touches.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzVoxsW458Q

Although the music is a bit too K-Mart musaky for my taste, the pictures are great, and again, Drum, thanks for all the work you've put into your posts.

I was in Brampton again this week to see the progress on the Dufferin jog, Railpath, CP Diamond and the Malton and Brampton changes and impressed by the quality the new station expansions are being built to. They are impressive with the winter platform heating system to reduce the huge salt deposits left by GO and the long open shelters that make them feel like S-Bahn-level stations (even if the service isn't up to that ideal standard).

The work at Mount Pleasant Station is also impressive, and GO has started work on the Credit River Bridge widening, which I didn't expect until work on the Kitchener/Guelph expansion began.

By the way, click here to see what Brampton has planned for the area immediately surrounding the Mount Pleasant Station. It's really impressive, including a reuse of the de-constructed CP Brampton Station.

(It's a big PDF)

Last edited:
How far along is Malton station now? GO has completely forgotten about updating the GO TRIP website it seems.

It's one of those project that is a pain getting to to to get some shoots by transit. When there been good weather, I'm doing something else. When I have time, the weather been the pits.

The last time I saw it over a month ago, the west platform should be finish this year. The existing one, early next year.

By the way, click here to see what Brampton has planned for the area immediately surrounding the Mount Pleasant Station. It's really impressive, including a reuse of the de-constructed CP Brampton Station.

(It's a big PDF)

That PDF is long, but it looks like there are some good plans for community building. But the current landscape near the station makes one skeptical how it will all gel together. Right now there are the standard low density subdivisions of Brampton and a large parking lot.

I noticed on the south end, on the south side of Bovaird/Hwy 7, it's low density housing. I think Brampton is reserving the north side, where it is still greenfield for the medium density mixed use development. It seems a bit too Cornellish, but at least there's high-order transit next door, which Cornell lacks, making it perhaps a refined model of neo-urbanism. But only time (and Brampton has to stick to the Fennell-era commitment) to see if it happens to the ideal.

I'm not sure if this is the right thread for such a post, but I noticed this on the GO website today:

Call For Request to Qualify and Quote

Request No. RQQ-2009-RCI-050

Request to Qualify and Quote for Engineering Services for Emergent Task Work for the Railway Corridor Infrastructure

Metrolinx is accepting Requests to Qualify and Quote for Emergent Task Work for the Railway Corridor Infrastructure.

Requests to Qualify and Quote documents are available weekdays from 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. from Metrolinx’s Procurement and Contract Services Office at the address below. Tender documents are provided only in hard copy format. No electronic versions are available. Tender documents must be picked up in person and shall only be issued to persons who provide all of the following: company name, address, telephone and fax numbers and contact name and who reference the above Tender number. Call (416) 869-3600, ext. 5386 or e-mail Nancy.Buttu@gotransit.com for inquiries.

Sealed Requests to Qualify and Quote will be accepted until 3:00 p.m. on Tuesday December 8, 2009 at the same Procurement and Contract Services Office.

Metrolinx reserves the right to reject any or all Requests to Qualify and Quote at its sole discretion.

Only Consultants who possess the following experience and qualifications will be considered for award of this Contract: Track Design, Civil Services for work within a railway right-of-way, Structural Services including structural inspections for railway structures, Environmental and Geotechnical Services, Surveying Services, Mechanical and Electrical Services.

Back