News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.2K     4 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 480     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.2K     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

Is any of it related to the hiccups of installing a fifth track on the north side? Didn't they run into an unexpected mess of utility conflicts? @drum118 @smallspy ?

No one that I know of knows anything about this project. All of my contacts on the construction and engineering side have finished up their portions and moved on. My contacts at head office haven't been told anything, either.

I wonder if they've decided to roll whatever work is left to do on the station into the impending improvement package for the plants at Bathurst and Fort York.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Is any of it related to the hiccups of installing a fifth track on the north side? Didn't they run into an unexpected mess of utility conflicts? @drum118 @smallspy ?
I don't know of any utility conflicts, but this project is taking its sweet time getting built. We are almost into the 4th year for it and another Burlington, with ML being the problem. One can guess ML is looking at building the 5th track to Mimico and that can't happen until the Dufferin bridge is rebuilt and as noted by smallspy. Then there is the realignment for the 8 tracks for the Weston sub that still has to be finish.

The rail base is ready and has been for over a year to have the 5th track install, but dead in the water at this time. Even the block signals are in place.

The tunnel is a major issue that requires a 2nd one.

With the expansion of the streetcar line from the loop to Dufferin St to be in operation by 2020, the current entrance will have to be rebuilt and a good time to look at the 2nd tunnel. This will require building a tunnel under TTC tracks and where it will exited is going to be a major problem.

Even with a 2nd tunnel, the new north stair will be a bitch and will require a 2nd stairwell.

The tunnel is a major issue that requires a 2nd one.

With the expansion of the streetcar line from the loop to Dufferin St to be in operation by 2020, the current entrance will have to be rebuilt and a good time to look at the 2nd tunnel. This will require building a tunnel under TTC tracks and where it will exited is going to be a major problem.

Even with a 2nd tunnel, the new north stair will be a bitch and will require a 2nd stairwell.

Don't disagree, at all, that some sort of second (or 3rd) crossing is required....but it is very frustrating using it knowing that if they just completed the walk thru that looks mostly ready now they could bring a partial solution to the table. Wether they are going ahead with the extra track or the electrifiation or not....just simply finishing the tunnel and walkway portion of this should be doable fairly easily.

I don't know of any utility conflicts, but this project is taking its sweet time getting built. We are almost into the 4th year for it and another Burlington, with ML being the problem. One can guess ML is looking at building the 5th track to Mimico and that can't happen until the Dufferin bridge is rebuilt and as noted by smallspy.

They can certainly put in the fifth track as far as Dufferin. The interlocking to tie the fifth track into the existing Track 1 has been in place and has been operational for several years now. That would at least let some trains (especially equipment moves) clear Fort York more promptly. If they don't intend to do that, it was a bit of a waste to install that signal bridge and the added signalling.

- Paul

They can certainly put in the fifth track as far as Dufferin. The interlocking to tie the fifth track into the existing Track 1 has been in place and has been operational for several years now. That would at least let some trains (especially equipment moves) clear Fort York more promptly. If they don't intend to do that, it was a bit of a waste to install that signal bridge and the added signalling.

- Paul
Fully agree and head shaking to go there an see no tracks that were supposed to be at least 2 years ago today.

I guess it would have been far better to leave the GO station at the Old VIA stop at Dufferin St, but would not help the people who live in the area now.

Plus elevators for AODA.

EDIT: ooooohhhh.......I think I just connected the dots on another hold-up/complication.
mLOxYpd.png

Last edited:
That shouldn't be a problem. That's been in the planning stages for decades, and those plans show that the tunnel extension and new exit take it into account.

The project website is at http://www.gotransit.com/public/en/improve/projects/exhibition_station.aspx - link seems to be broken though - can't find any version under a year old. https://web.archive.org/web/2016032...c/en/improve/projects/exhibition_station.aspx

A couple of recent Twitter threads:
upload_2017-5-3_18-12-4.png
No answer ever came. Seems that changes from the electrification are an issue. Not sure why they can't just open the exit building, to alleviate the post-game crush in the tunnel.

upload_2017-5-3_18-9-43.png
Construction has been completed? Not sure how that can be the case with the construction hoarding everywhere, and the half-built new tunnel entrance. Sounds all very odd.

Attachments

• upload_2017-5-3_18-9-43.png
    upload_2017-5-3_18-9-43.png
    80.9 KB · Views: 466
  • upload_2017-5-3_18-12-4.png
    upload_2017-5-3_18-12-4.png
    53.2 KB · Views: 461
Last edited:
Minister Del Duca press conference Monday. It includes TTC Chair Josh Cole, Metrolinx CEO, and the MPP for Trinity Spadina.

I could potentially see this in few different threads (SmartTrack, electrification) but picked this one.

Received an email about the Stouffville Corridor Expansion: Phase I project. Some highlights in case it is of interest:
  • Reminder Overnight work along east corridor from Kennedy to Marilyn ongoing
    Our contractor has begun work to replace track ties, starting from Kennedy, and moving onto Marylin. This work should take 10 days and is scheduled from 10pm to 5am and depending on whether, take up to a maximum of two weeks. This work involves the removal and replacement of defective wooden ties with new ties. There is minimal noise mitigation involved, and as always, our contractor has been instructed to veer any light during overnight hours away from residential areas.

• Agincourt GO station partial walkway closure
    Starting on Monday May 8th, a section of the walkway at Agincourt GO station will be closed. In addition, one parking spot north of the station building will close for electrical repairs. This work will restore power to the accessible doors of one of the shelters. The total duration of the work is approximately one week to complete, weather permitting.

• New Permanent Community Office is nearly complete
    As some of you who have visited our temporary community office may have noted, an improved and modern office to serve the community is most welcome. Fortunately, we are only weeks from the opening of our new office – located next door to our temporary office – as construction is nearly complete. The new office will offer plenty of space for meetings large and small for the community, and allow for better overall functionality. We will keep you posted on the official opening date.
If you want to join the email distribution list you can contact the project team at scarboroughmarkham@metrolinx.com

That shouldn't be a problem. That's been in the planning stages for decades, and those plans show that the tunnel extension and new exit take it into account.

The project website is at http://www.gotransit.com/public/en/improve/projects/exhibition_station.aspx - link seems to be broken though - can't find any version under a year old. https://web.archive.org/web/2016032...c/en/improve/projects/exhibition_station.aspx

A couple of recent Twitter threads:
View attachment 107548
No answer ever came. Seems that changes from the electrification are an issue. Not sure why they can't just open the exit building, to alleviate the post-game crush in the tunnel.

View attachment 107547
Construction has been completed? Not sure how that can be the case with the construction hoarding everywhere, and the half-built new tunnel entrance. Sounds all very odd.
I suppose that "technically" construction is complete, as there is probably a contract that has been finished. But the reality on the ground is that construction is NOT complete, and they have not achieved much at all over the last few years (has it been 3 or 4 now?) as the new exit is still not open.

I suppose that "technically" construction is complete, as there is probably a contract that has been finished. But the reality on the ground is that construction is NOT complete, and they have not achieved much at all over the last few years (has it been 3 or 4 now?) as the new exit is still not open.
Well if they are going to be that "cute" with their PR department then they might as well shut it down cause anything they tell us is meaningless......for a station to have it's construction "complete" there should be, at a minimum, 3 criteria

1. all public areas are open to the public
  2. all construction fencing is down
  3. all signs saying things like "exit closed due to construction" should be removed.

Minister Del Duca press conference Monday. It includes TTC Chair Josh Cole, Metrolinx CEO, and the MPP for Trinity Spadina.

I could potentially see this in few different threads (SmartTrack, electrification) but picked this one.
Metrolinx and TTC, at a Shoppers Drug Mart? But no city? So clearly not SmartTrack.

Seems pretty obvious to me that it's announcement at something being sold at Shoppers Drugmart. TTC has long talked of expanding Presto sales to retailers. Presumably this is an announcement about Presto sales through Shoppers Drugmart.

Which means it should be in the Presto thread.

That's a good point. I didn't take into consideration the location. However Josh Colle is a Toronto City Councillor and chair of the TTC so he could be representing the City.

Also the link I posted before may not be working so here's the correct link:

https://news.ontario.ca/mto/en/2017/05/minister-of-transportation-to-make-announcement-7.html

Metrolinx and TTC, at a Shoppers Drug Mart? But no city? So clearly not SmartTrack.

Seems pretty obvious to me that it's announcement at something being sold at Shoppers Drugmart. TTC has long talked of expanding Presto sales to retailers. Presumably this is an announcement about Presto sales through Shoppers Drugmart.

It is almost definitely a Presto announcement--Metrolinx has recently been talking up a "third party retailer network" for purchasing, managing, and loading Presto cards.

Posted in the Presto thread.

Back