News   Apr 25, 2024
 120     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 382     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.3K     1 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

Just because I was curious I measured the potential distance of the CN-only bypass from Bramalea to Milton. It's a little rough so it won't be exact. The distance is about 27 km. The Georgetown to KW stretch is about 43 km. So if the announcement is referencing "40 km" obviously that's not enough for the bypass and improvements between Guelph and KW.

puEZikZ.png

FcXzXbf.png

The qoute literally says "Between Mount Pleasant and Union".

Also, My understanding is that the Missing Link will link up with CP tracks (Milton Line) around the 407, then build a new connecting track in the middle of milton so that CN trains can connect back to their line.

The qoute literally says "Between Mount Pleasant and Union".

Also, My understanding is that the Missing Link will link up with CP tracks (Milton Line) around the 407, then build a new connecting track in the middle of milton so that CN trains can connect back to their line.

I know it literally says between those two points. I guess I was just curious/trying to be creative. I think using the CP tracks between Meadowvalle and Milton was the plan in the IBI report commissioned by Mississauga/Milton/Cambridge, but indications I've seen since then have been that because only CN is at the table, it would run along the north side of the 401. That's why I plotted it on the north side.

This could just be Georgetown North improvements (north of the 401) seeing as they just finished Georgetown South... unless they want to re-do much of the work that was just completed.

This could just be Georgetown North improvements (north of the 401) seeing as they just finished Georgetown South... unless they want to re-do much of the work that was just completed.

They're still missing the 4th track south of the 401.

Feds announce $752M for Toronto-Waterloo GO line

"The funding will make approximately 40.2 km of new track and grading between Mount Pleasant Station and Union Station along the Kitchener GO line"
Don't know if anyone has commented on this, but to maximize the impact of announcements like these, doubled track is counted as 2 X the distance, which would include lay-bys and passing tracks.

A fourth track between Strachan and Halwest (Bramalea) is 24.5 km.
The missing third track segment thru Brampton is 1km
The roughed-in third track over the Credit between Norval (Mount Pleasant) and Georgetown is 7.5 kms

- Paul

Last edited:
This money is enough to cover that right?

It's clearly a lot more money than you would need to add the fourth track to the GTS from Union to Bramalea, considering that many parts are roughed in. But the third track through Brampton will be quite expensive, and grade crossings add to the cost. Mount Dennis is a committed new station. Maybe some of that is in scope.

Certainly, the comment by MP Saini about two grade separations and a train layover facility fits a Malton to Mount Pleasant area. There is a layover area planned for Mt Pleasant.

But if GO is serious about triple track through Brampton, one would expect that a Brampton MP would have been included in the announcement. The absence of any local municipal pols is interesting, also. I'm not sure Brampton Council is particularly on side to the impacts in central Brampton.

Encouraging to see money on the table to get on with things, but we may need to wait to find out the exact details.

As others have commented, it means naught if GO bobbles the other prerequisites to increasing service..... like increasing its labour force. The announcements today repeated that GO intends to ramp up the number of trains per week to a huge degree. There is no indication that they have the people to do that in the pipeline.

- Paul

It's clearly a lot more money than you would need to add the fourth track to the GTS from Union to Bramalea, considering that many parts are roughed in. But the third track through Brampton will be quite expensive, and grade crossings add to the cost. Mount Dennis is a committed new station. Maybe some of that is in scope.

Certainly, the comment by MP Saini about two grade separations and a train layover facility fits a Malton to Mount Pleasant area. There is a layover area planned for Mt Pleasant.

- Paul

Hadn't heard the quote where the Minister referenced two grade separations and a train layover facility. Was that in his remarks or a Q and A? If it is between Malton and Mount Pleasant, what would the two grade separations be?

Hadn't heard the quote where the Minister referenced two grade separations and a train layover facility. Was that in his remarks or a Q and A? If it is between Malton and Mount Pleasant, what would the two grade separations be?

I am hoping ML may follow up with a more specific release or backgrounder.

http://rsaini.liberal.ca/news-nouvelles/regional-express-rail-to-receive-infrastructure-funding/

After the Torbram underpass is complete there is Scarboro St, west of Malton Station, and Mill St west of Brampton station.

- Paul

Back