News   Apr 16, 2024
 69     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 2.2K     5 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

The cynical comments are well-founded. Canada used to be an example to European nations, especially the UK, of 'how to do it', and the Brits were not much better in many cases than bumbling idiots on these things (I'm not prejudiced, I'm a Brit/Cdn Dual). But the tables have now been turned on that, and it's well worth examining why:
Crossrail: on time and on budget, is this how to get a major infrastructure project right?
Written by Colin Marrs on 8 February 2016 in Feature
Crossrail, the capital’s new east-west rail link, is on track to open on time and on budget. As well as being a boon for commuters, it could also improve the UK’s reputation for delivering major infrastructure projects. Colin Marrs digs around for some lessons

In less than three years, passengers will pour through ticket barriers onto the platforms of a major new London rail line. The Crossrail project is one of the most ambitious transport construction projects ever undertaken in the UK, creating 21km of twin tunnels beneath the capital’s streets. When fully operational in 2019, the line will connect Reading and Heathrow in the west to Shenfield and Abbey Wood in the east.

Despite spending decades in gestation, delivery of the project has been remarkably smooth, with the government claiming the project will be delivered on time and on budget. Experts seem to agree that the governance structures put in place for the Crossrail project have helped put the UK back on track when it comes to delivering major transport infrastructure. So what’s the secret?

It can be argued that the Crossrail concept is more than a century old. During the 1880s, parliament gave permission for the Regents Canal & Railway Company to create a surface line between Paddington and east London’s busy docks. The scheme was aborted, but a similar idea resurfaced in 1944 as one of the less well remembered – and unfulfilled – parts of the famous Abercrombie Plan for the capital.

Crossrail ‘textbook example’ of good programme management, says report
Major Projects in focus: Is HS2 on the right track?

The Crossrail name itself was coined in a 1974 rail study by the Greater London Council and the Department for Environment, but it wasn’t until 1991 that a private bill allowing for the creation of the line finally came before parliament. A global recession and the tightening of public finances that ensued put paid to those plans, with MPs finally rejecting the bill in 1994.

Steven Norris, who served as a Conservative junior transport minister from 1992 to 1996, was a big proponent of Crossrail and played a key part in a fresh drive to revive the project via a hybrid bill in 1996. This attempt was scuppered “due to the Treasury playing its usual duplicitous games,” he says ruefully. Indeed, even the Department for Transport’s own permanent secretary at the time, Sir David Rowlands, was none too keen on the project. “He told me later: ‘You kept the thing alive when we all wanted to kill it’,” Norris says.

The aborted 1990s attempts had, however, pushed the project forward in one critical regard: the safeguarding from development of sites above proposed Crossrail stations. With this protection locked in, further momentum was provided in the run-up to the first election for London mayor in 2000. Norris, by now the Conservative candidate, and his victorious rival Ken Livingstone both backed Crossrail. “I was a strong advocate in the technical press, but Ken also deserves credit for pushing for it,” Norris says.

"Not dictated by traditional budget cycles”

[...continues...]
https://www.civilserviceworld.com/a...et-how-get-major-infrastructure-project-right

Its starts with Metrolinx and they are clueless.

They are great for replacing people, but incapable of replacing companies who caused those people to be replace in the first place, as well delay projects. Then there is the quality of material and workmanship.
We're talking about the same group of fools (Metrolinx and the Province) who goes and puts blame on Bondfield for the endless delays Bondfield has had on numerous transit projects, and then turn around a couple months later and hire the same group to construct even more transit and infrastructure projects acorss the city. Heck, they even hired Bondfield to construct schools.

We're talking about the same group of fools (Metrolinx and the Province) who goes and puts blame on Bondfield for the endless delays Bondfield has had on numerous transit projects, and then turn around a couple months later and hire the same group to construct even more transit and infrastructure projects acorss the city. Heck, they even hired Bondfield to construct schools.
Bondfield in the past was building mostly schools and other small projects until it was bought up. Those projects went to general tender on the open market to the point I was a sub trade to them on 2 of them.

Can't think of a project they aren't late on, other then Emerald City. Then, I don't follow all their projects, just the ones I see all the time. 6 months late on Sheridan College Phase II; Not sure where St Mike stands today; about 18 months late on Clarkson Parking structure and 3.2 years on Burlington. Some of that delay was due to Burlington hydro, but it was only a couple of months.

Bottom line, Metrolinx doesn't have the personal to oversee project like they should be, nor willing to replace them when they should.

Hell, the City of Hamilton just inform the builder of the new stadium that they can't bid on city projects for 2 years, TTC is 5 years.

Metrolinx is clearly at fault for not taking a hardline w/Bondfield.

Though I personally feel Drum is at least somewhat responsible for not having volunteered to take over Metrolinx. :p

ts starts with Metrolinx and they are clueless.

They are great for replacing people, but incapable of replacing companies who caused those people to be replace in the first place, as well delay projects. Then there is the quality of material and workmanship.

Its time this company goes bye bye.

They are also unaccountable.
I think Drum should take over the operations of Metrolinx. He has lots of insight and knowledge, especially with the construction and engineering.

Bondfield is the worst. They bid shop. They are notorious for screwing their trades. I am surprised that people still work for them.

To be fair to Bondfield, they've done a lot of other projects other than "schools". Women's College Hospital, York Community Centre, York Regional Police Suppor Services, Waterdown Library, Credit Valley Hospital expansion, Scotiabank Convention Centre, Cambridge Memorial expansion, Markham Pan Am Centre, Richmond Hill Centre for Performing Arts, etc. etc. So it's not like they don't have experience in a wide variety of projects, so it isn't surprising that they are allowed to bid on these jobs. But in my experience, they do seem to get themselves into an underbidding trap a lot of the time, and they end up trying to carve this out of their subs.

But on the flip side, and I don't know this because I never worked at Burlington GO, but I imagine that Metrolinx is not entirely innocent either.

Last edited:
is anyone aware of how big these travel time improvements will be? and will they come into place in December 2017 once the switch upgrades are done, or 2021 when the signal upgrades are done? Is it going to be 1 minute or so, or more like 5?

is anyone aware of how big these travel time improvements will be? and will they come into place in December 2017 once the switch upgrades are done, or 2021 when the signal upgrades are done? Is it going to be 1 minute or so, or more like 5?

It's the switch machinery (the electric motor) and not the track parts that are being redone this year. That is likely going to boost reliability, and possibly allow routes to be lined more quickly, but I'm puzzled at how that would affect track speeds very much.

The EA for the added track from Scott Street to Scarborough will be underway, and there are probably design matters for Electrification that require some field measurement. And perhaps some investigations related to the Rail Park (if that idea is even still on the table). And maybe even the proposed new station at Bathurst Street for the Barrie RER.

- Paul

It's the switch machinery (the electric motor) and not the track parts that are being redone this year. That is likely going to boost reliability, and possibly allow routes to be lined more quickly, but I'm puzzled at how that would affect track speeds very much.

I was under the impression that the new switches are designed to allow for trains to pass over them faster, thus increasing old speed limits and allowing trains to move faster in the USRC. I remember reading that somewhere a while ago, but am unable to remember where. I could be wrong on this point.

Yea I remember seeing that it would improve train speeds, especially in the East end. Something like doubling the speed limit in the URSC.

Back