News   Mar 28, 2024
 27     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

May 18
IMG_may-18-09-0002.jpg

May 14 Clarkson
IMG_may-14-09-0055.jpg

Not much weather protection now.
IMG_may-14-09-0056.jpg

IMG_may-14-09-0061.jpg

New tunnel extension and stair at east end
IMG_may-14-09-0074.jpg

Building to the left is the new entrance to the new tunnel to the platforms.
IMG_may-14-09-0081.jpg

Brampton May 21

When was this station to be Finish??

Someone said fall 2009, but more like spring/summer 2010.

Someone was said to an inspector or management "no the work goes up to the bridge" after been asked "the plans and site look different and the work stop at the tunnel."

IMG_may-21-09-0002.JPG

IMG_may-21-09-0005.JPG

When I saw footing sometime ago, I though steel was going to be used for the platform and that is what is happening.
IMG_may-21-09-0007.JPG

IMG_may-21-09-0030.JPG

IMG_may-21-09-0026.JPG

IMG_may-21-09-0012.JPG

IMG_may-21-09-0032.JPG

Just two tracks. The new platform is indeed wedged in between the south track and Railroad St, which was an earth embankment before. A third track would require moving the station and would be very expensive. Downtown Brampton remains a two-track gauntlet, with three tracks to the east (at Centre St) and west (west of the OBRY), but this is better than the one-track section east of Brampton station to Kennedy Road.

They have already widened the section east of Brampton station from one to two tracks haven't they?

3 tracks east of John St.

4 tracks can be put in place up to Queen St as well west of the Orangeville line.

Putting a 3rd in at the station is no big deal other than relocting the existing station as well building a 3rd track bridge at Queen and for Main. At some point it going to have to be.

3 tracks east of John St.

4 tracks can be put in place up to Queen St as well west of the Orangeville line.

Putting a 3rd in at the station is no big deal other than relocting the existing station as well building a 3rd track bridge at Queen and for Main. At some point it going to have to be.

I think there's got to be a limit to how wide we make corridors rail corridors through built up areas. I would rather see a freight bypass built than see an ultra-wide rail corridor through downtown Brampton/Streetsville/Markham/etc.

I think there's got to be a limit to how wide we make corridors rail corridors through built up areas. I would rather see a freight bypass built than see an ultra-wide rail corridor through downtown Brampton/Streetsville/Markham/etc.

On GO lines they would probably need 3 to allow express trains to pass. On lines where you would additionally have freight or VIA you probably need 4. They are allowing for 6 alongside the Gardiner but that is primarily for the large number of trains going into service and out of service from the Mimico Yards. I'm not sure if they will need 6 ever but they are allowing for it.

I'm talking about this from an urban design perspective. Railways tend to have a dividing effect on the communities they pass through (both physically and psychologically), and we must be very careful not to make that diving effect worse. Putting two additional tracks through downtown Brampton COULD result in a situation like the Gardiner where the community to the north feels isolated from the community to the south.

It's the crux of the argument in Weston, but the only difference here is that you would have to expand the ROW. In Weston this would not be necessary so the isolating effect is limited provided the majority of the streets remain open.

The corridor is wide enough for 4 tracks in the first place and is elevated in the downtown section.

The section from Queen to west of the Orangeville line can support 3 tracks if there is a need to do so with the moving of the station.

If you start putting in grade separations, then there will be problems with John St being the major one.

All rail corridors are an urban barrier, but can be worked to fit in in many places.

On GO lines they would probably need 3 to allow express trains to pass. On lines where you would additionally have freight or VIA you probably need 4. They are allowing for 6 alongside the Gardiner but that is primarily for the large number of trains going into service and out of service from the Mimico Yards. I'm not sure if they will need 6 ever but they are allowing for it.

Adding those 2 tracks will allow GO to move trains to/from Willowbrook as well VIA to their Mimico yard easier and keep the main lines open for more service.

In Brampton, CN would remain on the new track 1 in Brampton allowing better service for GO to the Brampton Station. Once the new south platform is built, this will help GO as well CN until headway gets down to 10 minutes. Anything beyond Brampton will have an impact on both systems due to crossover before the Halton line cut off.

I haven't heard anything about 6 tracks between Mimico & Union just yet although the corridor is wide enough for it. The only mention so far has been of a 5th track in the Exhibition station area.
There are many obstacles however. The Dufferin, Dunn, Jameson & Dowling overpasses would all need be be demolished and completely re-constructed as there is only space for 4 tracks underneath each currently. Then the bridges over Parkside(2 more tracks), Colborne Lodge(2 more tracks), Ellis(1 more track), The Kingsway(2 more tracks), the Humber river(2 more tracks), Park Lawn(1 more track) & Mimico creek(2 more tracks) all need to be widened.
I do hope it will be a future project. As mentioned, 6 tracks will give GO & VIA a dedicated track for their equipment trains, something that will be needed to avoid the huge bottleneck that area would otherwise become with expanded service.
But needless to say there's a lot of work to be done.

Last edited:
Is there a reason why the Brampton GO renovations doesn't include a direct below-grade walkway connecting to the GO parking lot on the southwest corner of Mill and Railroad Sts? One would think it a wise investment given that at-grade there's a busy street crossing to contend with.

Is there a reason why the Brampton GO renovations doesn't include a direct below-grade walkway connecting to the GO parking lot on the southwest corner of Mill and Railroad Sts? One would think it a wise investment given that at-grade there's a busy street crossing to contend with.

Because condos are going up on that lot.

Back