News   Apr 24, 2024
 308     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 369     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 722     1 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

Was at Exhibition station today for TFC game and noticed that the south platform has now been paved - construction here has gone from "0 to 100 real quick". I also got some better pictures of the work that is being done. It seems like Metrolinx is trying to get a fair bulk of the work done before the CNE starts. All shots are facing west.

NOMYT2c.jpg

JB1xphX.jpg

cr8pKZc.jpg

hJhPIuI.jpg

The Ex station is another Burlington Station, as we are into the 3rd year of construction for a simple station rebuilt. Is this the 4th year?

For a Metrolinx financial/progress benchmark, it would be useful to have a "Report Card" for each station under construction. This seems to be an accumulating concern.

Once upon a time GO did not publish reasons for train delays.

Now they do.

So why not public statuses for station construction and various construction projects?

So, these report cards can help provide a progress report, including blame (specific contractors, unexpected stuff, budget reallotment to priority, etc)

This should be phased in over a 12 month period, to allow Metrolinx reasonable time. Their projects are important, but certain kinds of construction delays sometimes seem an unexplained slush fund.

People will understand slightly better if report card excuse is "...budget reallotment to unexpected switch repairs. We also determined that contractor scheduling adjustments provides further cost benefits. Exhibition station completion will be adjusted slightly to early 2018. This fiscal compromise was necessary to stay with the 2016 Ontario Budget without scaling back GO service..."

I am excited about many Big Move projects though, but do not want to see problems accumulate to the point of being butchered Harris-style (worst nightmare). I think this have improved since the UPX fare cut and it now achieving farebox recovery within a stone throw of GO/TTC but there is electorate concern to watch for 2018.

Last edited:
Was at Exhibition station today for TFC game and noticed that the south platform has now been paved - construction here has gone from "0 to 100 real quick". I also got some better pictures of the work that is being done. It seems like Metrolinx is trying to get a fair bulk of the work done before the CNE starts. All shots are facing west.

They have to - the station needs to be 100% open for the Ex in a couple of weeks. It was non-negotiable. Once the Ex is done after Labour Day, they'll undo all of it and get back to work.

This is also the reason why they're bringing back the streetcars to the Ex Loop even though not all of the retaining wall work is completed.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

They have to - the station needs to be 100% open for the Ex in a couple of weeks. It was non-negotiable. Once the Ex is done after Labour Day, they'll undo all of it and get back to work.

This is also the reason why they're bringing back the streetcars to the Ex Loop even though not all of the retaining wall work is completed.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.
The station being open for the Ex is no different that previous years....where the station has been open but the platforms shifted and lots of hording around inside the tunnel.

The station being open for the Ex is no different that previous years....where the station has been open but the platforms shifted and lots of hording around inside the tunnel.

My understanding was that GO/Metrolinx got read the riot act by the Board of the Ex about how the construction affected the movement of people through the station last year, and the board didn't want a repeat for this year.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

My understanding was that GO/Metrolinx got read the riot act by the Board of the Ex about how the construction affected the movement of people through the station last year, and the board didn't want a repeat for this year.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.
well that is good news....because it has been just awful for a while....and not just during the Ex

Aug 09, 2016
The incompetences Of Metrolinx Management from the top down continue to show why they should be shown the door sooner than later.

It also show they are incapable of bring projects on line as target, as well on budget due to lack of funds; trying to do too many projects to please their Master, Queen Park; lacking the resources to manage and oversee project; not holding contractors to the terms of the contracts and the list goes on.

No idea if the contractor doing the Bloor station has walked away for various reason or Metrolinx has change its mind as to the corridor protection and landscaping, but nothing has been done in months since I was last there to the point weeds are overrunning the area. The new fence is still not in place to the point the existing hording for what was the entrance to the station is still there and no accessibility ramp in place to allow accessibility riders to gain access to the station from the RailPath without going all the way to Bloor St to do.

Looking at John St Bridge, another projects way behind and hard to say when it is to open. Only 2 men working on the site, but not on the safety barrier that still not finish as well a number of other items. There is some frames setting up on the bridge, but no idea what they are for.

The media should take a visit to these site and do some hard asking question why not done as plan along to a few others.

More up on site
John St
28841235832_249a2c7432_h.jpg

28905240816_6b89a8763c_h.jpg

28321225463_0f71d1bb90_h.jpg

28905225896_ff51dc565a_h.jpg

28318619974_d8c3cc0f6b_h.jpg

28860909331_ab3e814332_h.jpg

Griffie At Wallace Ave area is still bad
28307228294_79180cbe4b_h.jpg

Bloor
28801433392_269de668c7_h.jpg

28288838994_1410433297_h.jpg

28291064803_2cafd272d0_h.jpg

28291068903_8f2bfac5f0_h.jpg

28906404575_b2c07e89ea_h.jpg

The media should take a visit to these site and do some hard asking question why not done as plan along to a few others.
A lot of that boarding/hoarding has now been cleaned up, or I'm just immune to it, City was trimming weeds there few weeks back, but the real functional problem is that the north east elevator has been out of service for months, emitting a high-pitched alarm, and no sign of being fixed. That doesn't inconvenience me, but it does for older or handicapped persons.

As to the dense foliage, I actually prefer that to the area having a 'brush cut', but I'm talking on the trail, not Metrolinx property. No sign of a ramp or finished entrances from the path to the eastern platform (Number 1).

A lot of that boarding/hoarding has now been cleaned up, or I'm just immune to it, City was trimming weeds there few weeks back, but the real functional problem is that the north east elevator has been out of service for months, emitting a high-pitched alarm, and no sign of being fixed. That doesn't inconvenience me, but it does for older or handicapped persons.

As to the dense foliage, I actually prefer that to the area having a 'brush cut', but I'm talking on the trail, not Metrolinx property. No sign of a ramp or finished entrances from the path to the eastern platform (Number 1).
Is it done or are they putting another track in?

1. What do the photos that Drum posted show other than an oddly unfinished construction site?
2. If every construction site requires an EA or TPAP and we have so many armchair and real experts here and the EA or TPAP plans are so explicit about what precisely will be built, then why so much debate over what is done and what remains to be done? Why can't one have a look at the approved plan and inventory the remaining work from the photos?
3. If UPX opened 16 months ago - Yay!- why hasn't someone inventoried the remaining unfinished bits and then asked Anne Marie Aitkins, the Metrolinx CEO Bruce McQuaig, the current transportation minister Steven Del Duca or Premier Wynne when the remaining work will be done?

Last edited:
Any guesses as to when the first emus or electrification work happens? The way I see it until that occurs all the plans can be completely killed, I feel that if they have atleast some of the infrastructure built, then the eventually development of better service is inevitable

According to https://www.metrolinxengage.com/sites/default/files/go_electrification_public_meeting.pdf

the TPAP report was due in May/June with approval notionally expected at year end. That process simply delivers "Conceptual" design engineering. Even if it were on schedule, and detailed design began next year, that puts procurement a few years away.

The project is said to be "funded", which simply means that the current government has "promised" to remember the initiative in future provincial budgets.

When you look at the totality of what the Province has promised, the likely delivery dates are closer to 2030 than 2025. I don't expect future governments to cancel projects so much as change delivery dates to match the funds available.

Metrolinx is still carrying electrification under their Planning tab, rather than their Projects tab, on their web site.

- Paul

It is mid-August. Georgetown South is two years complete. There is a station at the Gormley Road which would extend the RH line significantly north (under construction for God knows three years plus). There is an active layover yard there - I can see it at night when the lights are on and I drive past on the 404. The East Rail Maintenance Facility is built. The Lewis Road facility is built past Hamilton West Harbor. Oh yes - and other (not finished) track doubling on Stoufville and Barrie. One of the regulars here has said - he knows that there will be one more (same old) morning rush hour train on Milton and the return evening trip.

One year ago in June, the provincial government made a 10 year funding commitment of $13.5 billion CAD to regional express rail. All things being equal, we just spent $1.35 billion.

Is there any evidence that anyone's commute is going to become fabulously better this September when we all go back to school or work?

When will the average Joe crammed into those full LSW trains see a significant improvement that demonstrates movement in the right direction?

Are we expecting a significant announcement? I'm on the edge of my seat. So are my colleagues at work. They are fed up with their commutes.

Last edited:

Back