News   Apr 24, 2024
 88     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 443     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 2.8K     7 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

Oh yes absolutely, I was just originally surprised they didn't do all three bridges at once. But I suppose the city balked at severing at three of those road links simultaneously.
They haven't got a design or an EA yet to replace either Dunn or Dowling. As far as I know this is being done because both are starting to approach unusablity, and they are putting in temporary structures (like at Dufferin) until they complete an EA and design new bridges.

Perhaps Jameson bridge is in better shape?

Presumably there will be further closures or restrictions at some point during construction.

Perhaps Jameson bridge is in better shape?

Presumably there will be further closures or restrictions at some point during construction.

I can't speak to it's structural integrity but visually its not in any better condition. It's also of the same age as the other bridges.

However that is of no relevance, one way or another it will still need to come down to accommodate the additional tracks that they plan to put in place as all four bridge abutments(Dufferin, Dunn, Jameson & Dowling) are only wide enough to accommodate for 4 tracks, the current allotment.

I'm not saying its a good decision or a bad one at this point, I'm sure they have their reasons for it. But this means that the Lakeshore West line(between Mimico & Union) will be shut down for another weekend some time in the near future.

Oh yes absolutely, I was just originally surprised they didn't do all three bridges at once. But I suppose the city balked at severing at three of those road links simultaneously.

Too bad the city couldn't make a decision (other than put things off post-study) and implement the Lakeshore West redesign as part of the rebuild.

upload_2015-11-19_9-4-37.png

upload_2015-11-19_9-4-52.png

upload_2015-11-19_9-5-33.png

(WW Master Plan)
http://www1.toronto.ca/city_of_toro...ariat/files/pdf/wwmp-final-report-21aug09.pdf

AoD

Attachments

• upload_2015-11-19_9-4-37.png
    upload_2015-11-19_9-4-37.png
    242.6 KB · Views: 799
  • upload_2015-11-19_9-4-52.png
    upload_2015-11-19_9-4-52.png
    175.6 KB · Views: 802
  • upload_2015-11-19_9-5-33.png
    upload_2015-11-19_9-5-33.png
    573.7 KB · Views: 825
Last edited:
I'm not saying its a good decision or a bad one at this point, I'm sure they have their reasons for it. But this means that the Lakeshore West line(between Mimico & Union) will be shut down for another weekend some time in the near future.
I suspect it comes down to not wanting to close all 3 roads at once then. Which seems fair enough to the local community.

I suspect it comes down to not wanting to close all 3 roads at once then. Which seems fair enough to the local community.

That's what I suspect as well, question is does that inconvenience locals more than it inconveniences Lakeshore West users? Dufferin is but a stone's throw away afterall.

That's what I suspect as well, question is does that inconvenience locals more than it inconveniences Lakeshore West users? Dufferin is but a stone's throw away afterall.

I nconvenience to locals may not be the motive here. Jameson is a key route for first responders, especially for highway incidents on the Gardiner. It's not exaggerating to say that closing all three at once would put lives at risk.

- Paul

Our Barrie train used the newly built section of track from Rutherford station to Langstaff Rd. this morning. I think I was the only passenger excited about that .

Our Barrie train used the newly built section of track from Rutherford station to Langstaff Rd. this morning. I think I was the only passenger excited about that .

That was pretty fast! Did they travel at full speed, or is a break-in restriction in effect?

- Paul

That was pretty fast! Did they travel at full speed, or is a break-in restriction in effect?

- Paul
It travelled relatively slowly but I don't mind. The most complex piece in the project is a new bridge over a creek south of Langstaff Rd. Other than that the whole section is cleared and ready for the second track

Anyone have any up to date pics on the extra tracks on Barrie/Stouffville line and the construction statuses?

I'm much more interested in this than electrification. Which will be nice, but the more immediate effect of double tracking will be nice too!

The metrolinx board presentation said that the Barrie track should be finishing up by spring 2016, and that Stouffville still has a while to go. Apparently the rest of the Stouffville double tracking is moving towards tender, however, which means the stouffville line will be under construction for a while.

Anyone have any up to date pics on the extra tracks on Barrie/Stouffville line and the construction statuses?

I'm much more interested in this than electrification. Which will be nice, but the more immediate effect of double tracking will be nice too!

On that note, I'm hoping that some discussion starts happening soon about station renovations. All of the Barrie line stations--assuming Stouffville is similar--are single-track, single-platform, and the vast majority lack an underground tunnel across the tracks (either Allandale or Barrie South, or both, have that--pretty sure no others do). All of the Barrie line stations will largely have to be rebuilt to put tunnels, a second platform, and a second track in--that is presumably a massive undertaking, arguably comparable or greater than double tracking the line as a whole. Judging by even more minor adjustments to stations like Bloor, Weston, Eglinton, Bronte, Burlington, etc. that are partially closed for ages, I'd imagine they'll need to start very early if they want AD2W any time soon with more frequency than the handful of summer weekend trains.

As a former Aurora native/Barrie line rider, I'm very excited to finally see the stations get expanded/improved along the whole line! The first times I rode Kitchener, LSE, and LSW, I had never seen GO stations other than Union with multiple platforms, underpasses, etc.

The metrolinx board presentation said that the Barrie track should be finishing up by spring 2016, and that Stouffville still has a while to go. Apparently the rest of the Stouffville double tracking is moving towards tender, however, which means the stouffville line will be under construction for a while.

Did they give any estimate as to when they hope to have Stouffville completely doubled to Unionville?

Back