News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.6K     5 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 542     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.3K     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

A bit more transparent like the TTC?

TTC board would acknowledge there is a project, a schedule, and that it is behind. They probably wouldn't know why or what could be done to fix that.

With Metrolinx you're lucky if anybody on the board, other than the chair, acknowledged the project exists instead of "no comment".

TTC board would acknowledge there is a project, a schedule, and that it is behind.

With Metrolinx you're lucky if anybody on the board, other than the chair, acknowledged the project exists instead of "no comment".

To me it's not a huge difference between silence and placation (given the TTC will usually delay the bad news - then produce a report that produce no real insight into the problem and then go from there). Think Spadina and how that was handled - or that streetcar issue with Broadview station.

AoD

Last edited:
Cool. Thanks for the update. I also noticed a lot of track work on the south side of the Willowbrook Yard. Anyone know what they are doing?

Building a new storage yard for 6 trains during the middle of the day.

Also, will they one day add a 5th track between Mimico and Exhibition?

Eventually. All of the south Parkdale bridges over the tracks will need to be rebuilt however (a project that the City is supposed to get to in the next 10 years or so).

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Eventually. All of the south Parkdale bridges over the tracks will need to be rebuilt however (a project that the City is supposed to get to in the next 10 years or so).

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

I would make the most sense to combine that with the construction of a Roncesvalles RER station, since that would require a pretty significant reconfiguration of the trackage in the area already. Might as well do both at the same time. So yes, I agree that is a project for the "eventually" pile.

I would make the most sense to combine that with the construction of a Roncesvalles RER station, since that would require a pretty significant reconfiguration of the trackage in the area already. Might as well do both at the same time. So yes, I agree that is a project for the "eventually" pile.

AKA Sunnyside station eh? That needs to be a new hub for GO RER, an extended DRL, streetcars on King, and the Waterfront West LRT. That needs to be one big undertaking on its own, right at King/Queen/Roncy/Queensway.

AKA Sunnyside station eh? That needs to be a new hub for GO RER, an extended DRL, streetcars on King, and the Waterfront West LRT. That needs to be one big undertaking on its own, right at King/Queen/Roncy/Queensway.

Yup, exactly. For people coming from the west on GO, it would be a great transfer point to places west of Union but east of High Park. Direct connections to the King & Queen streetcars, and a short ride to Line 2 via Roncesvalles. I have a friend that used to live at Lansdowne & Dupont, and getting there by GO and TTC was a huge pain, because it involved a massive backtrack, or getting off at Mimico and waiting for an incredibly infrequent bus, only to transfer onto the subway afterwards. I'm sure that general trip pattern isn't unique to me.

If such a thing was on the books.....sure.

But we're talking about reality here.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Hey, it's being studied as a potential station location in Metrolinx' most recent additional stations document, haha.

Sure. And they studied realigning Dufferin to get rid of the jog in 1923. So?

It's a huge leap to go from "studying" something to actually actually making finite plans for them to putting shovels in the ground. GO has plans to build a fifth mainline track from Exhibition to Mimico. No such plans exist for any additional stations in that stretch.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

With Oct 19 behind us, and an extra $2bn pledged towards GO electrification ("GO RER", "SmartTrack", or any brand name), this question is begged:

When's the first electrification-related construction shovel in the ground?

Substations, catenary, electrical infrastructure, ordering of electric trains, etc?

Back