News   Apr 23, 2024
 446     1 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 380     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1K     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

Update from Metrolinx on Burlington station.

"At this time, we expect to partially open the new station building sometime in late fall, with full completion expected in 2016."
This project is the absolute biggest joke i've seen in a very long time. How about they just complete it in 2020, at this point who know's when its really going to be completed. Union Station's revitalization will be complete long before this project wraps up.

Last edited:
How about they just complete it in 2020, at this point who know's when its really going to be completed. Union Station's revitalization will be complete long before this project wraps up.
I have some good and bad news. Burlington GO station finally completes their renovations...

...and removes the last piece of construction equipment just on time for Canada's Day 2023, for the ribbon cutting ceremony of GO RER 15-minute electric trains to Burlington. Re-elected Mayor Tory in attendance with Prime Minister Mulcair.

(you choose which parts are good news, and which parts are bad news.)

Last edited:
Relevant article from The Spectactor (see link)+

Dec 22, 2012 |
Burlington’s new GO Station building will be nearly 20 times the square metres of the current station.

Metrolinx officials say a redesigned bus loop at the station on Fairview Avenue will move buses in and out more efficiently, but when the dust clears for the grand opening there will be 35 fewer parking spaces.

Here is a look at the station:

Current terminal building: 100 sq. m

New terminal building: 1,888 sq. m

Cost of renovation: $15.5 million

Completion date: Early 2014

And this from InsideHalton (see link);

Commuters looking forward to using the new building and covered bus loop at the Burlington GO station are going to have to wait a while longer.

Completion of the $13.8-million upgrade project at the Fairview Street site, located just east of Brant Street, has been pushed back from this summer to spring 2015.

The completion date was originally set for early 2014.

2 years of slip is pretty pathetic.

I haven't miss a thing in the last month from my monthly meeting In Burlington other than the new wrap install Bike Racks.

Only 1 person working and 3 vehicles on site and were gone by 3:30 for my return trip.

I will post late what is now posted at the station that wasn't there on my June trip as well some new photos.

West end to open summer 2015 and will see the closure of the east end so the rest of the loop can be built. More like fall of opening up the loop than summer as noted.

Only partial opening of the new station will take place in the summer of 2015.

2016 will see a rebuilt east entrance as well the whole south parking lot being rebuilt.

I watch and photograph Fairview Mall as well the 14s Brock St building that were built in less time than this station.

The North-west section of the north lot is waiting paving and that will complete that rebuilding program.

Bronte new south lot extension could be pave this month and open in Aug. The south platform is schedule for Cough Cough 2016 completion.

Was talking to the construction crew next door and they were saying they will have 3 towers built before this station is finish and they only starred at the end of Jan.

I just posted several brand new West Harbour photos.
The station opens tomorrow with the debut of permanent 6:15am and 6:45am weekday morning trains.

Here's the MacNab entrance, as a sweep panorama.

westharborentrance-jpg.50177

Last edited:
I have some good and bad news. Burlington GO station finally completes their renovations...

...and removes the last piece of construction equipment just on time for Canada's Day 2023, for the ribbon cutting ceremony of GO RER 15-minute electric trains to Burlington. Re-elected Mayor Tory in attendance with Prime Minister Mulcair.

(you choose which parts are good news, and which parts are bad news.)

More likely it will be open in time for the Olympics, which is the only deadline that ever works.

That's a really ugly plaza at West Harbour with the half-assed paving and uninspired planters. I wouldn't want to see that as part of my daily commute. Those wooden planters look like someone cut up a backyard 2x4 fence and awkwardly made it into planters.

That's a really ugly plaza at West Harbour with the half-assed paving and uninspired planters. I wouldn't want to see that as part of my daily commute. Those wooden planters look like someone cut up a backyard 2x4 fence and awkwardly made it into planters.

You should see the James St side! :s
It's like 90% Black Asphalt (and smells like it too).
I wish I got a pic but it was literally a clusterduck of ppl and observers.

Also, the 'Pedestrian/Bike Pathway' looks like incredibly awkward and long! It zig-zags (as-mentioned in yesterday's article) up a 4-storey-high hill!

The plaza also looks cheap. Those planters are sad. I hate rush jobs so much.

Oh also, I went to go load up my Presto (it was ~ 1pm) and the (West Harbour) station building was blocked to the public?

Oh also, I went to go load up my Presto (it was ~ 1pm) and the (West Harbour) station building was blocked to the public?

Ticket sales are from 5:45 to 7:00 am only. I assume it is locked up after that as there is no reason to be there.

The sales booth is manned only during morning peak.

For longer staffed hours -- multiple service expansions need to happen.
-- Minimum 4 trains per day, once Lewis trainyard opens (it has 4 sidings -- parking for 4 trains)
-- Niagara seasonal service, once platform spur is extended eastwards.
ETA 2016, 2017

It could happen sooner with Niagara seasonal service, as that will require manning the station all weekend long. This presumably happens when the pocket track spur first gets extended back into the CN mainline in preparation for Lewis layover use (and consequently Stoney Creek GO). My wild guess is 2016, possibly 2017 at latest -- it is really truly a no-brainer low-cost modification to add Hamilton once the track already allows a train to continue eastwards from West Harbor. Then we get speedy all-day summer weekend service towards either Toronto or Niagara Falls. In fact, on a good summer day -- I think well over 100 Hamiltonians could board a single Niagara weekend train (often already filled with over 700 people on such good days) -- more than fully paying for one staff at West Harbor. And we ought to welcome Niagara Falls population to come to James Street Supercrawl -- tourism goes both ways!

Really, really is a no-brainer. Might want to rename it the "Niagara-Hamilton Summer Train" as Toronto/Hamilton/Niagara all become destinations for each other.

Then 2017-2019 Stoney Creek open would be the earliest possible time range that all-day-2-way weekday service can be implemented in some form (e.g. every 2 hour offpeak). Culiminating with 60-minute service by 2024 as per announced timeline. One can hope they'd accelerate elements of allday service sooner.

That said, I understand that there will likely be self-service presto refill vending machines at all unstaffed GO stations in the not-too-distant future.

The station seems 2 years early due to PanAm. REAL service to West Harbour is probably ~2017 (Happy 150th, Canada!), IMHO due to the infrastructure required. Parking garage, extension of spur back onto mainline, Lewis overnight layover yard, extra train added, Niagara, etc. Then again, GO has been talking up potential Hamilton all-day GO service since the 1980s, and look where we are. At least, all-day service is finally on the horizon.

Last edited:
i would imagine all day service would come before 2024. The map the dates have come off of gave the completion of electrification, not the diesel services. I wouldn't be surprised if we see all day service here before the end of the decade.

i would imagine all day service would come before 2024. The map the dates have come off of gave the completion of electrification, not the diesel services. I wouldn't be surprised if we see all day service here before the end of the decade.
Me too.

The electrification doesn't provide service until full completion, but the all-day diesel is acceleratable incrementally in the traditional GO sense.

My gut feeling -- the fun happens by 2017.

Probably not hourly, but something massively better than Hamilton's had since CP and TH&B Railway stopped serving Ham decades ago.

Communication lines open on Metrolinx's third track project in Georgetown

Metrolinx Georgetown third track project
Independent Free Press
http://www.theifp.ca/news-story/571...etrolinx-s-third-track-project-in-georgetown/

As construction by Metrolinx/GO Transit and CN Rail on the new third track progresses in Georgetown by the train station, residents can find updates and direct any questions directly to the project co-ordinator – Metrolinx/GO Transit.

The addition of a third track on McNabb St. is designed to improve Georgetown GO service on the Kitchener line. The bulk of the construction will be completed in summer and fall of 2015.

This includes widening the McNabb St. Bridge, extending the Silver Creek Culvert and constructing a retaining wall along the corridor. Track and signals work will be completed next summer.

Metrolinx is also hand-delivering community bulletins to residents closest to the project.
Updates can also be found at: www.gotransit.com/progressGeorgetown.

Questions should be directed to:
Loretta Allen Community Relations
(416) 869-3600 ext. 5138 1-888-GET-ON-GO (1-888-438-6646)
Loretta.Allen@gotransit.com

From GO Transit Georgetown Station page:

Beginning in spring 2015, GO Transit and CN will begin the next phase of work to complete upgrades to the Kitchener line near Georgetown GO Station in order to improve service and reliability. Once complete in early 2017, these improvements will increase service reliability and protect for planned future expansion on the corridor.

For project inquiries and to join our project e-mail distribution list, please contact:
Georgina Collymore
GO Transit Communications
416-869-3600 x5719
Georgina.Collymore@metrolinx.com

Back