News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.7K     1 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 831     3 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.3K     3 

GO Transit: 50 Possible Sites for new Stations

You certainly don't need all 50 of those proposed stops. But if they build a DRL, it would be nice if the Lakeshore line was to stop when it crossed it (wherever that would be).

Agree 100%. If it's not connecting to subway, LRT or a major trip generator, I really don't see the need to add a stop.

You certainly don't need all 50 of those proposed stops. But if they build a DRL, it would be nice if the Lakeshore line was to stop when it crossed it (wherever that would be).

When I read that powerpoint presentation on the new stations I did not get the impression that there is any intent to add all 50. It is a search/selection process in which they have identified 50 that have enough merit to them that they should be part of a process of determining which ones. It seemed clear to me that this list is intended to be whittled down. Some of the stations will make little sense from a cost/benefit perspective and some will rule others out....but there are 50 options to pick from and I would be surprised if much more than 10 or 15 actually make the grade.

I don't see that's a factor on where the platform is located. They'll still congragate. Though this is not really an issue at Danforth - which I've never seen with enough passengers that it's an issue. The only time I see an issue at most stops is when people are in position for a 12-car train, and a 10-car train arrives. Need better indication of what's coming (why can't the display board say so), or full implementation of 12-car trains. But again, really minor at most stops.

Depends what the function is. If it's supposed to behave like a subway with frequent service - which is what Premier Davis promised over 30 years ago, then yes. Ultimately though, you need two or more services to do that.

Except the DRL to west-Toronto is at least 30 years away...

Let's focus on building transit for the now, instead of for the rosy future.

Except the DRL to west-Toronto is at least 30 years away...

Let's focus on building transit for the now, instead of for the rosy future.
Not sure how that's related with connecting the Lakeshore line to the DRL in the Gerrard Square or wherever area. They are doing the planning on that right now. You can't start that discussion when they start tunnelling - this is exactly when that discussion need to be had.

Sorry I thought we were still beating the Sunnyside horse...

I mean Sunnyside instead of Park Lawn because maybe in 30 years it may have the DRL running near it is absolutely hilarious.

12022337_1120047724696084_2272230481713193735_o.jpg

This is a start....

Sorry I thought we were still beating the Sunnyside horse...

I mean Sunnyside instead of Park Lawn because maybe in 30 years it may have the DRL running near it is absolutely hilarious.
If the criteria for station location includes proximity to major transit lines, it's hard to imagine too many lines that carry more than 501 and 504 which both pass by the old Sunnyside station location. I'd assumed that was a good location irregardless of if they ever extend the DRL that far west.

Given that 504 alone as many, if not more riders than the Lakeshore West line - it's almost offensive, if not stupid not to put a station there.

But that wasn't the dead horse I was beating ...

I suspect in 20 years time, only a handful of these "proposed" in-fill stations will have been built.

If the criteria for station location includes proximity to major transit lines, it's hard to imagine too many lines that carry more than 501 and 504 which both pass by the old Sunnyside station location. I'd assumed that was a good location irregardless of if they ever extend the DRL that far west.

Given that 504 alone as many, if not more riders than the Lakeshore West line - it's almost offensive, if not stupid not to put a station there.

But that wasn't the dead horse I was beating ...

I suspect in 20 years time, only a handful of these "proposed" in-fill stations will have been built.
Again, if we are building transit for people (30k people crammed in a few square km) then Park Lawn is the logical station.

I don't see much multimodal use out of Sunnyside.. Sorry - there's a reason it was demolished 50 years ago.

Again, if we are building transit for people (30k people crammed in a few square km) then Park Lawn is the logical station.

I don't see much multimodal use out of Sunnyside.. Sorry - there's a reason it was demolished 50 years ago.
Toronto has greatly changed in 50 years. Using travel patterns from 50 years ago to justify a lack of demand today is silly.

I'd think putting it at Humber Loop than Parklawn would make more sense, given the significant transit connectivity you don't get at Parklawn. And then you can keep Mimico as well. Perhaps a good walkway from the eastern edge of the Mimico platform towards the condos would help serve everyone.

50 years ago GO Transit didn't serve Exhibition either, except when the CNE was on, and special events. Do you suggest they terminate that service?

I'd think putting it at Humber Loop than Parklawn would make more sense, given the significant transit connectivity you don't get at Parklawn. And then you can keep Mimico as well. Perhaps a good walkway from the eastern edge of the Mimico platform towards the condos would help serve everyone.

50 years ago GO Transit didn't serve Exhibition either, except when the CNE was on, and special events. Do you suggest they terminate that service?

Humber Loop probably won't exist in 10 years - not to mention the tracks are hemmed between the Gardiner-Lakeshore offramps. Meanwhile, at Park Lawn, you could have the platforms start on the west side of the street and go under the Gardiner overpass. This provides connectivity to the condos east, but is centered on where major development is occurring.

I would terminate the Park Lawn to Long Branch streetcar at the Park Lawn GO and have the 501 terminate there as well. Humber Loop is a dank hole that is probably going to be demolished soon. People feel unsafe.

Mimico is over a 30 min walk from Park Lawn (the road network in the area is disconnected due to the tracks, ravines, etc). So that's a non-starter, and is the reason why people are so upset.

... Perhaps a good walkway from the eastern edge of the Mimico platform towards the condos would help serve everyone. ...
Mimico is over a 30 min walk from Park Lawn (the road network in the area is disconnected due to the tracks, ravines, etc). So that's a non-starter, and is the reason why people are so upset.
So perhap a good walkway from the eastern edge of the Mimico platform would help. It's only 1,200 metres from there to Parklawn - an easy 15-minute walk. And only about 800 metres to the Condos at Grand.

No single location will serve everyone perfectly. I don't see eliminating streetcar service on Lakeshore as the solution to the problem. You've got a lot of condos from Grand all the way to the Humber, including redevelopment potential. And a lot of redevelopment potential right near Mimico GO with the industrial nearby. Ultimately, I think you want 2 stations in this stretch. If you put a single on at Park Lawn, you sterilize that.

Last edited:
So perhap a good walkway from the eastern edge of the Mimico platform would help. It's only 1,200 metres from there to Parklawn - an easy 15-minute walk. And only about 800 metres to the Condos at Grand.

No single location will serve everyone perfectly. I don't see eliminating streetcar service on Lakeshore as the solution to the problem. You've got a lot of condos from Grand all the way to the Humber, including redevelopment potential. And a lot of redevelopment potential right near Mimico GO with the industrial nearby. Ultimately, I think you want 2 stations in this stretch. If you put a single on at Park Lawn, you sterilize that.
Look the city has been promising enhanced access to Mimico from the east since 2009.

Problem is the TRCA takes the wind out of anything because any enhancement means going over the creek. For Pete's sake five years delay because of a polluted creek!

Statione should be built where dense clumps of people exist. That's how it's always been and continues to be. TOD isn't new, except in HBS the chicken came before the egg.

Anyway, there is limited redevelopment potential in Mimico. Those industrial lands will become townhouses most likely. The nimbyism is strong because it's an old established neighbourhood.

Statione should be built where dense clumps of people exist. That's how it's always been and continues to be.
The station locations did make sense when they were built. The issue seems to be the lack of a good masterplan to guide the redevelopment. Really need to step back and rethink the whole area south of the Queensway.

Back