News   Apr 23, 2024
 139     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 354     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 984     0 

GO Transit: 50 Possible Sites for new Stations

Loving the comments on Metrolinx engage.

I challenge anyone from Metrolinx to spend a week trying to get into the city from Lake shore and Park lawn using our available transit! I will pay for your fare and ride with you personally!!
You will no doubt determined we should be 1st on the list of getting a Go Stop!
We have taking a serious back seat to all transit infrastructure compared to the rest of the city and surrounding areas! We have had one of our lines (508 Streetcar) taken away last summer, the grid locked traffic all morning, every morning, in all directions and not to mention the icing on the cake...having our streetcar route split so we have to take 2 streetcars to get downtown!
IT IS A NIGHTMARE!! And extremely unacceptable!
And with our area growing more than any other, I can only see this getting worse!
We desperately need a Go Stop!

Finally our community is mobilizing. Enough is enough we deserve exponentially more infrastructure given the massive incremental tax growth in an area a km across.

Then why did they recently build that massive $40 million parking structure at the existing Oakville station?
Fantastic question....when my wife and I looked at that house I mentioned above she said "what if the station moves"...and I said "what, right after they built that garage?...I don't think so".

I live in the area, and have never heard of a plan to move it 1000m to the east. Sounds dumb, considering the vast majority of the land that they want to redevelop is located at the current GO station.

The old mobility hub plan (see link, page 5) showed a platform extension to the east, so that the station straddles Trafalgar. This would barely take it to Allan, let alone Chartwell. This extension would even out the exit flows of vehicles from the train station, which is a major issue in the evening peak ...

Last edited:
Loving the comments on Metrolinx engage.

I challenge anyone from Metrolinx to spend a week trying to get into the city from Lake shore and Park lawn using our available transit! I will pay for your fare and ride with you personally!!
You will no doubt determined we should be 1st on the list of getting a Go Stop!
We have taking a serious back seat to all transit infrastructure compared to the rest of the city and surrounding areas! We have had one of our lines (508 Streetcar) taken away last summer, the grid locked traffic all morning, every morning, in all directions and not to mention the icing on the cake...having our streetcar route split so we have to take 2 streetcars to get downtown!
IT IS A NIGHTMARE!! And extremely unacceptable!
And with our area growing more than any other, I can only see this getting worse!
We desperately need a Go Stop!

Finally our community is mobilizing. Enough is enough we deserve exponentially more infrastructure given the massive incremental tax growth in an area a km across.

Great comment.

Dorval is one I considered, but I figured it would be a bit too close to the Oakville station. Although they are moving the Oakville GO across the street, so that creates a bit more of a separation.

As for Winston Churchill, I figured something closer to the Ford plant, west of Ford Drive would work. With the hydro corridor and stuff in the area, as well as relatively easy access to the 403, it would make sense to make that location the drive-to station for eastern Oakville and western Mississauga, as opposed to Oakville and Clarkson. That location also has the potential to connect with some sort of extension of the Mississauga Transitway, running either beside the 403 or on it. Buses only ramps from the 403 onto Ford Dr would make it a pretty straight shot to the station.

The other location is Lorne Park, which would need to be pretty much exclusively walk-ins and transit, and would need to be done in conjunction with a grade separation there.

LP would be a good spot for a station but the Lorne Park snobs would have a conniption if that ever happened.

Former Mr. Chrisite Site. Potential home for a future transit hub, including a GO station.

DSC_6996.jpg

And the existing Humber Loop, with its dark and narrow pedestrian tunnel.

DSC_6987.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_6996.jpg
    DSC_6996.jpg
    854.6 KB · Views: 1,153
  • DSC_6987.jpg
    DSC_6987.jpg
    788.4 KB · Views: 1,100
Funnily enough you can see the Mimico GO station from that photo. Great photos for area context

Staff is bring a report to the June BOD meeting on new stations that should be built.

Looks like that report will include a New Transit Hub Station for Spadina & Front St. Please tell me how Metrolinx planning on moving 10's of thousand riders to/from it to the core when the current surface route can't today or once 4603 shows up??

Staff is bring a report to the June BOD meeting on new stations that should be built.

Looks like that report will include a New Transit Hub Station for Spadina & Front St. Please tell me how Metrolinx planning on moving 10's of thousand riders to/from it to the core when the current surface route can't today or once 4603 shows up??

RL on Queen Street is the obvious answer. Well played Keesmaat.

RL on Queen Street is the obvious answer. Well played Keesmaat.
I don't follow the relief line discussions (figure I will be long retired before it is ever in use) so I don't know much about the plans....but it is not clear to me how a transit line under Queen Street answers Drum's question about how you move 10s of thousands of people from Spadina and Front.

I don't follow the relief line discussions (figure I will be long retired before it is ever in use) so I don't know much about the plans....but it is not clear to me how a transit line under Queen Street answers Drum's question about how you move 10s of thousands of people from Spadina and Front.

He's just being snarky about Keesmaat. I don't think I've ever seen a post made by Forgotten that doesn't involve slagging off Keesmaat, he has a pathetic obsession with making her look bad.

I dont see anything wrong with Keesmaat to be honest, she's doing a fine job considering the situation she's been placed in. The whole planning system in this province and in the city is just a mess from head to toe: developers are constantly appealing to the OMB to overrule planners, the OMB consistently overrules Toronto city planning, city council bickers on a consistent daily basis, Toronto's planning department is severely underfunded which leads to consistent lost cases at the OMB and ultimately the creation of failed neighborhoods, etc...

There have been several cases of top planning officials who pass up on joining the planning department in Toronto due to all of the reasons i've mentioned. I wouldnt necessarily blame Keesmaat for Toronto's planning issues, and if someone is looking at a place to point fingers blame City council and the Province.

Back