521     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 720     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 520     0 

GO Accessibility / Digital Signage / Tech

At least it wasn't Comic Sans

llb5jmhwqtlzeds5ptmg.jpg

http://www.atomica.com/article/1265207/18-sarcastic-signs-that-are-hilariously-perfect

Small mercies. I think we need to check the various TTC manuals to be sure.

Uh oh - it is old, but certainly not an unknown problem - http://joeclark.org/appearances/atypi/2007/TTC/inscribed/

Now on the matter of the Serif font - how long has the TRs been in service? If they saw it as a problem, they would have rectified it by now. What does the fact that they haven't tells you?

AoD

I thought they already had this years ago when a certain prime minister had questionable eating habits.

In the York concourse, the Union Station WiFi is very fast public wifi, probably (multi)gigabit fiber link to Toronto's main internet exchange just down the street (151 Front St). 4ms ping!

iPads running at 100Mbps symmetric (it surged to 250Mbps for a brief moment before being throttled at 100Mbps). It almost never dips much below that speed all day long. Slows down only to 80-90Mbps during peak hour.

Downloaded an hourlong Netflix episode in only 5-7 seconds even at 530pm peak!

The platforms need this WiFi signal, as LTE gets dodgy during commuter overload.

IMG_5019.PNG

Attachments

• IMG_5019.PNG
    IMG_5019.PNG
    1.1 MB · Views: 304
Last edited:
I have been noticing WiFi signals from several new GO coaches in the form:

SSID: GOTransit_GTXXXX

Where XXXX is the coach number. Today, I was sitting on Coach #4015, so the SSD was GOTransit_GT4015. It's protected behind a password, but the WiFi signal was strong throughout the whole coach.

Is this 100% only for service purposes only, or also planned for public WiFi eventually?

The signals are becoming more frequent with some coaches, so the infrastructure is certainly appearing.

It is probably already useful for utility purposes like determining telemetry data of a coach wirelessly (e.g. statistics, power, mechanical status, sensor status, digital announcement signage, etc). Maintenance staff using wireless devices. So there's value-add to GO maintenance even if they never use the WiFi for public use.

But it'd be nice to see the signal being used for Internet too. LTE works well, but that signal often gets overloaded on an overflowing peak-hour train using over a thousand devices simultaneously, cramming the same airwaves.

Hopefully they get some good backhaul at peak.

Like combinig Rogers, Bell, Telus, Satellite all simultaneously.

IMG_5701.JPG

Multi-backhaul via all-LTE-networks via a bigger amplified backhaul antenna outside the signal-killing Faraday Cages of GO coaches -- some commercial WiFi vehicle systems can backhaul over Bell and Rogers simultaneously (plus, say, 2 other LTE carriers, plus satellite too, whatever signals are strongest at any particular time along each GO route!).

Attachments

• IMG_5701.JPG
    IMG_5701.JPG
    136.6 KB · Views: 284
Last edited:

Back