News   Apr 19, 2024
 324     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 553     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 923     3 

Gerrard India Bazaar

I think Lahore Tikka House is still worth a visit. Though the complaints I've seen seem to centre around when it is busiest on weekend, and I only go in on weeknights

What you are trying to do is to teach/preach Bible to a priest.

Go try Dosa -- my suggestion will be, Mysore Pav Bhaji -- at Guru Lukshmi; 905-803-8310. Note the clients -- almost all of them East Indians. That speaks for the quality of the food. See the reviews on the internet. Tongue biting, heavy on chillies food does not equal 'Quality' Indian food.

Amen.

* I know this is old, but, I came across it just now, and I must reply to it because it's ridiculous and http://xkcd.com/386/.

1. I went to a Second Cup in that area. Note the clients – almost all of them East Indians. That definitely speaks for the quality of... wait, what?

2. In your eyes, East Indian person = always an expert in South Indian cuisine? Why do you automatically assume that these brown people you saw are connoisseurs of South Indian cuisine? How do you know if they have a critical appreciation of South Indian cuisine and the ability to tell apart a good idli from a crap idli? :confused:

Last edited:
"India Centre" building -- old theatre at 1430 Gerrard -- has been gutted and renovations seem to be underway. Can't find any news on this ... anyone know what's happening there?

I checked here for the same thing. I looked in the doors the other day, but it's impossible so far to see what's happening inside. There were a couple of heavy vehicles behind the building for part of the afternoon. Chandni Chowk restaurant has relocated somewhere, but I didn't make a note of it from the notice taped on the doors. The posted building permit provides no details.

This was the building that spawned Little India. It would be cool if it became the building to start the strip's renaissance.

That was the Eastwood cinema, later (1970's) one of the Naaz cinemas. My mom grew up in this neighbourhood, the Eastwood was the "luxurious" cinema in the neighbourhood and was more expensive so she & her family most often attended the two other two nabe cinemas on Gerrard, The Guild and The Classic - both of which have also been re-purposed.

I'm not sure there are more than 1 or 2 Indian businesses left in that block of 9 stores (between Coxwell and Rhodes) - the Little India area typically started a block or two west. It had expanded towards Coxwell, but has since retracted further west again. I'm not sure the BIA even stretched to Coxwell initially - the special lighting that was done on Coxwell only starts at Ashdale, 3 blocks west of Coxwell.

It's still good to see the upgrade though! I'd wondered why the signage had all vanished, and then the colours appeared.

There's also Lake Inez now, which is pretty awesome, and expands the hipster places to go in the hood.

Don’t know if this belongs here. Just a few lots east of Logan on the south side of Gerrard. I think this must be multi-unit and hopefully the ground floor units are live/work. But if they are not it may not matter as people will use the space as they want! Lol
IMG_2054.jpeg
IMG_2055.jpeg

Back